woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Quick question

I had home made burgers and 3 aubergine slices last night at 8.45om. Lashes of fat and cheese etc. Ate quite a lot for me. Wasn’t an overly carbs meal. Still under 5.

But this morning I’ve woken up and tested at 5.30ish at 8.0 which is higher than after the blooming meal.

1) is it normal for sugars to be higher way after the meal when they were a reasonable 7 something

2) don’t think it’s DP because I have only laid in bed

3) I know I have to give time to adjust after coming off meds but I don’t like the 8.

I wouldn’t normally eat that much anymore or that late so wondering if it’s that.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you ate a lot more then you normally would, that could explain it.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If you ate a lot more then you normally would, that could explain it.

It wasn’t a huge amount, 2 burgers and 3 aubergine slices but that’s more than a small tin if corned beef and leaves

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
DP occurs before getting up. It is the body predicting the glucose you will need to get moving. It, typically, happens the same time each day.
Foot on the floor is the glucose release upon getting up. This is the body reacting to your movement and releasing glucose. The timing depends when you get up.

Not that I am questioning your assumption regarding DP being the cause of today's rise.
Bear in mind there are many things which can impact our bg. Did you sleep badly? Are you worried about the day ahead? Are you going down with a bug ? Did you exercise less than usual, yesterday?...

Slept better than all week but I didn’t exercise yesterday.
It’s also coming up to time of the month.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could it be gluconeogenesis? The conversion of protein into glucose. I get a higher fasting blood sugar if I eat a late protein ladened meal. It’s a slower way for the body to make glucose, hence the overnight delay.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
If I eat a protein meal late at night my overnight BG can climb all the way through until morning.

Some recommend not eating anything substantial after late afternoon, perhaps around 4pm to give your body time to deal with the meal.