NSAIDs - SAIDs?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've got some inflamed bits (joints I think) in my foot.

The normal treatment would be NSAIDs - non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs.

However these are not advisable with Stage 3(a) CKD (chronic kidney disease).

The "non steroidal" part of the name does imply that there must be steroidal anti inflammatory drugs otherwise why the qualification?

However the usual websites don't list any as a treatment option.

Does anyone take steroids as an anti inflammatory medication?

I believe that steroids carry an increased risk of causing diabetes so that could, of course, be another major issue.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Replying to my own post.
https://ard.bmj.com/content/63/5/588
This suggests that taking corticosteroids (a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis) can increase the risk of bowel perforation due to ulceration in the sigmoid area.
Sigmoid Diverticular Abscess Perforation or SDMA.

Given that I was diagnosed with Diverticular Disease (weakness in the bowel wall, not an infection) after my last abduction and probing by aliens this is obviously a concern.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t take non steroidals for my arthritis as they are contraindicated in asthmatics (which I also have :rolleyes:). I have found however that since low carbing my joints have been more comfortable. I wouldn’t consider steroids for an occasional injury because of the effects on blood sugars. However if I recall you eat low carb too, so you may not have that as an option to improve your current situation. I hope you find a solution soon x

M

Member496333

Collagen supplements are meant to be amazing for joint health. I certainly feel well oiled since starting to take a daily dose of collagen powder. I can’t rule out placebo, but perhaps something for you to consider. All sorts of other alleged benefits as a bonus.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am allergic to a lot of meds including NSAIDs. I have steroids a couple of times a year if my allergies cause breathing problems. I also have arthritic joints, and particular problems from arthritic spine damage and hand arthritis. The steroids meds are generally temporary, 5 - 10 days. Breathing improves but no affect on arthritic pain. I have raised BG for quite a while after finishing steroid treatment, this last time has been 5 months. No discernable problems to my delicate, and much opened by surgeons, abdominal track.

At risk of stating the obvious, (sorry @LittleGreyCat , but it may be of use to someone else) when we with diabetes have foot problems, it is best to get checked by doc or podiatrist. Not wanting to diagnose, but possibly gout?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am allergic to a lot of meds including NSAIDs. I have steroids a couple of times a year if my allergies cause breathing problems. I also have arthritic joints, and particular problems from arthritic spine damage and hand arthritis. The steroids meds are generally temporary, 5 - 10 days. Breathing improves but no affect on arthritic pain. I have raised BG for quite a while after finishing steroid treatment, this last time has been 5 months. No discernable problems to my delicate, and much opened by surgeons, abdominal track.

At risk of stating the obvious, (sorry @LittleGreyCat , but it may be of use to someone else) when we with diabetes have foot problems, it is best to get checked by doc or podiatrist. Not wanting to diagnose, but possibly gout?

Thanks.
Already been checked out by the DSN and the nurse practitioner and gout or diabetes have been ruled out for the moment.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got some inflamed bits (joints I think) in my foot.

The normal treatment would be NSAIDs - non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs.

However these are not advisable with Stage 3(a) CKD (chronic kidney disease).

The "non steroidal" part of the name does imply that there must be steroidal anti inflammatory drugs otherwise why the qualification?

However the usual websites don't list any as a treatment option.

Does anyone take steroids as an anti inflammatory medication?

I believe that steroids carry an increased risk of causing diabetes so that could, of course, be another major issue.
@LittleGreyCat Would an ointment work? My husband cannot use ibrufen gels etc due to the various pills he has to take but the pharmacist recommended Flexiseq which seems to help - it’s quite expensive though. Tiger balm is a cheaper alternative but not as good.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks.
Already been checked out by the DSN and the nurse practitioner and gout or diabetes have been ruled out for the moment.
Well, there's a thing.
I've got an inflamed joint at the base of my index finger.
Surgery looked at the photos and said gout.
I looked online at pictures of gout of the hand and it could have been my hand.

Waiting for a prescription of anti-inflammatories (plus something else for the expected tummy problems).

Blood test in about 6 weeks.
Apparently you can't test during a flare up.