No registration needed to view and search forum.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Having just discovered the wonderful world of this place on a browser you can hide your profile etc to members only.

Am I the only one who didn’t know that. So no one can see me now, hopefully,

Moderators> is that just my profile page or my posts as well? So if I have put members only does that mean anyone who isn’t a member or registered can’t see what I’m writing?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having just discovered the wonderful world of this place on a browser you can hide your profile etc to members only.

Am I the only one who didn’t know that. So no one can see me now, hopefully,

Moderators> is that just my profile page or my posts as well? So if I have put members only does that mean anyone who isn’t a member or registered can’t see what I’m writing?
It's only your profile that is hidden. I can see all of your posts without logging in.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It's only your profile that is hidden. I can see all of your posts without logging in.
Hmmm, I’ve put can see your newsfeed to members only.

Oh well at least something is hidden.

M

Member496333

I have to say, despite my earlier comment, I'm not especially comfortable with the idea of everything I post here being potentially shared with Facebook. I was not aware of this little detail. I realise that online privacy is pretty much an illusion these days, but I at least like to know where my contributions are being read. I do not use facebook and do not wish to. If I wanted to tell Facebook what I ate for dinner last night, I would tell Facebook.

Hmmm...

Reactions: jjraak

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Zuckerberg but one of the reasons I won't ever use FB ...

Reactions: jjraak

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have to say, despite my earlier comment, I'm not especially comfortable with the idea of everything I post here being potentially shared with Facebook. I was not aware of this little detail. I realise that online privacy is pretty much an illusion these days, but I at least like to know where my contributions are being read. I do not use facebook and do not wish to. If I wanted to tell Facebook what I ate for dinner last night, I would tell Facebook.

Hmmm...

Whilst the legal stuff allows DCUK to share and reproduce anything we post here (on any other platform), what usually ends up on FB feeds is a specific question like "my blood sugars have been high for weeks but I'm doing everything the doctors tell me to do. "

DCUK usually leads with "one of our members could use your help" or something similar. This then generates a discussion that is similar to anything that can be found in the forums.

Forum identities are NOT shared on FB but anyone subsequently reading the forums could make the link quite easily.

The FB feed does not contain the details of your last meal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachox
M

Member496333

Whilst the legal stuff allows DCUK to share and reproduce anything we post, what usually ends up on FB feeds is a specific question like "my blood sugars have been high for weeks but I'm doing everything the doctors tell me to do. "

DCUK usually leads with "one of our members could use your help" or something similar. This then generates a discussion that is similar to anything that can be found in the forums.

Forum identities are NOT shared on FB but anyone subsequently reading the forums could make the link quite easily.

The FB feed does not contain the details of your last meal.

Ok thanks for clarifying. I just get jittery where Facebook are concerned.

Reactions: urbanracer

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure that was made clear at first registration

seems a rather an unsecured open world, compared to many others i have been on.

i would ask that it be made clearer.

while i will now be debating the information given out any future posts
(forgive me for noit knowing as i don't do facebook, etc.
can people do this with every forum ?

i do feel for those, of whose posts i have read
who were too terrified to tell work colleagues or friends and family even.

much to ponder.

If you read the T&Cs you will find the relevant information in there, but let's face it, if you can read member's posts, without signing up, and I'd think most if us did, for a little while at least, then we have to accept it s entirely plausible some of our own posts will be viewable, subject to the relevance to a search.

I think it's implausible to expect that others messages will be seen, but not our own.

As others have stated, I, personally would never use my own name or photograph on an internet forum.

I see you have changed your avatar. If you also want to change your user name, I can facilitate that for you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps we all should have read the Terms and Conditions? We get to see this before signing up.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/disclaimer.html

I too was quite alarmed when I first read that our posts could appear on facebook. However, on reflection, it doesn’t seem unreasonable if we are to reach a greater number than if we remained closed. I know I wouldn’t have found this place had it been hidden. I am sure many of us wouldn’t.

So, just like any content we put on Internet we need to remember that the ‘footprint’ remains and could be read at anytime, pretty much by anybody. Which is why I tend to not put much personal stuff up. I don’t want certain people to be able to identify me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and yet..it's all personal, isn't it.?

we open up about so many sides of us during our road back from this wretched illness.
i do realise the government etc might have need to spy or pry, but that the whole forum is open to anyone passing along...mmhh

i can see the merits, yet other forums seem to give a taster of whats on offer, without compromising the privacy of others posts so easily.
( surely blocking off the ability to search by someones user name, if your not registered, can't be something that detracts from the forum as a whole ?..)

Lesson learned, shame really.
the being honest part was what i actually liked the most.

ho hum..on with the day.

Those posting, using their own names, and photos are the ones publishing their personal information. Nobody makes them do it.

At sign up, and at any stage beyond that, our members have the ability to choose their user name and an avatar (or no avatar). The restrictions on user names (and avatars) are decency, and not providing personal contact details. User names must also be unique (and therefore not already in use by another member.

To quote this Community's Mission Statement:

"Forum Mission Statement/Objective

The Diabetes Forum helps people improve their understanding and management of diabetes - regardless of type. By connecting people and engaging with each other, people's' health outcomes get better."

We all have a part to play in this.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Those posting, using their own names, and photos are the ones publishing their personal information. Nobody makes them do it.

At sign up, and at any stage beyond that, our members have the ability to choose their user name and an avatar (or no avatar). The restrictions on user names (and avatars) are decency, and not providing personal contact details. User names must also be unique (and therefore not already in use by another member.

To quote this Community's Mission Statement:

"Forum Mission Statement/Objective

The Diabetes Forum helps people improve their understanding and management of diabetes - regardless of type. By connecting people and engaging with each other, people's' health outcomes get better."

We all have a part to play in this.

If I’m not signed up via Facebook do my posts still show up on there?

I just signed up I didn’t look
At anything I don’t think.

Although back then I was in such a daze and completely confused I don’t think I’d know what I was signing up to

Is it possible to change username?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think idea of coming across a post is entirely reasonable, but the idea that non members can search through every post that some one has ever made just opens the door to an inquisitive eyes a little too easily

Pretty sure most in here have opened up and posted SOME personal information, that if some one wanted to, COULD possibly narrow down a lot of detail about that person.

Anyone interested, simply log out and put your username in the search bar.

Dcukmod, perhaps.?
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/search/130252234/?q=Dcukmod&o=relevance

Is That level of interrogation entirely necessary or useful to those non members seeking help ?

Not going to labour it anymore.
Eyes wide open now, my bad.

Just curious if that's normal, seems it is.
I'll get over it and move on.

Sorry to have disturbed people.

Reactions: gennepher

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Although back then I was in such a daze and completely confused I don’t think I’d know what I was signing up to

Only certain types of posts get carried across to FB. Please see my response to JL above - post #26.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think many of us are dazed and confused and vulnerable when we sign up here.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, don’t stick anything on the forum that the taxman might be interested in. :D

I recall a similar thread on another forum on this topic. It is possible to build up a profile of a member after many postings to the point that the person can be identified. It does matter of course what you post though. But the odd snippet here and there might seem innocuous at the time but can be a piece of a larger jigsaw further along the line.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Listlad
Point taken, and in jest

But vulnerable users, desperately seeking help...Mmhh

I naively opened up about a particular issue I was struggling with, I'm ok with that now.

But I've seen some pretty personal stuff on here, that MIGHT concern those who are at their most vulnerable.,
Once they realise friends, neighbours, work colleagues MIGHT be able to read every post
They have written or will write.

Reactions: gennepher

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I honestly don't see how the occasional post being exported to facebook is any more unsafe than the facty that the whole forum can be searched. I'm pretty sure that even if it (the forum) was nominally much more private, entities (such as governments) that wanted to could still see all our details.

Private emails are viewable with a court order.

That is the nature of the internet. This forum is pretty standard in that respect. If you have something to hide you don't post it on a forum, or email it, or save it on the cloud. The internet is not private.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Cana - I have posted a couple of times on this thread, anyone can change their user name. Please either send a PM or email forum@ with your choice of alternative name. It is useful to give a second option, should your first new choice be unavailable.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cana - I have posted a couple of times on this thread, anyone can change their user name. Please either send a PM or email forum@ with your choice of alternative name. It is useful to give a second option, should your first new choice be unavailable.
Sorry must have missed them. I’ll have a think