magnisium

M

Member496333

I take 1x1000mg magnesium citrate each morning. Not because of any known deficiency in myself, but because, by some accounts, it is severely lacking in today’s agriculturally destroyed soil. Apparently, even as a carnivore it’s a potential concern, since ruminants are not getting enough from the soil. Not sure if it’s doing me any good :nurse:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello. As Jim says like Vitamin D, we are supposed to be commonly deficient in magnesium. Symptoms:
MAGNESIUM

Muscle cramps, tremors or spasms

Muscle weakness

Insomnia or nervousness or hyperactivity

Constipation

Fits or convulsions

Breast tenderness or water retention

Depression or confusion

As you can see these are fairly vague symptoms but the cramps are supposed to be a classic sign. No mention of 'low energy' though.

You could invest the money spent on supplement on eating more organic veg. For what it is worth here is a list of magnesium rich whole foods. The last line indicates which vitamins help the magnesium be absorbed (ciggies, booze and sugar tend to do the opposite):
MAGNESIUM
Almonds and cashew, brazil nuts
Buckwheat flour, cooked beans and peanuts
Garlic, green peas and raisins
HELPERS: Vitamins B1, B6, C and D, zinc and calcium phosphorus

M

Member496333

Sorry, that should have read 200mg. Not sure where I got a thousand from...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I learnt from members on this forum that magnesium supplementation is better absorbed through the skin than by mouth. Early on in my low carb life, I was getting weird cramps in my ankles at night time which were solved by using magnesium spray directly on the areas affected by the cramp. I now eat a lot of nuts, seeds and a little dark chocolate which seems to provide enough to not to have to use the spray anymore.

Edited to add seeds and dark chocolate as foods containing magnesium :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Energize
M

Member496333

I learnt from members on this forum that magnesium supplementation is better absorbed through the skin than by mouth. Early on in my low carb life, I was getting weird cramps in my ankles at night time which were solved by using magnesium spray directly on the areas affected by the cramp. I now eat a lot of nuts which seems to provide enough to not to have to use the spray anymore.

I’m led to believe that this may at least partially depend on the differences between citrate and oxide. My understanding is that citrate is better absorbed through an oral supplement than oxide. That said, I know little about the real differences, or even if one or the other is exclusive to oral, or spray. On the face of it, it strikes me that oral would better replicate natural concentrations in food, but that’s just an idle thought, not a fact.

Reactions: Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a spray of pure magnesium chloride brine on my skin, once a day.
I have no idea if this works or not as I haven't any symptoms of deficiency, but it hasn't done any harm that I know of.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a magnesium bisglycinate supplement - 3 - 500mg daily. I switched to that from magnesium citrate as this is easier on the stomach and is supposed to be more easily absorbed.

I gave up with the magnesium sprays as I was allergic even to the ‘sensitive’ versions.

M

Member496333

I'm quitting magnesium as of tomorrow morning and going full-commando. Right now I'm unsure that it's serving me any benefits over and above what I eat. I plan on undergoing the all-singing Well Man UltraVit test from Medichecks early next year, and will address any shortcomings that may arise.