What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.4 this morning

mum's little dog has been with us again overnight, we'll probably be having her overnight every couple of days until she has had her x-ray and gets whatever medication the vet feels she needs ;)
mr gee and I are walking more, but, much more slowly than usual, owing to Suzie's desire to sniff every blade of grass :hilarious: She's eating better and is more lively at least ;)

mr gee is currently out with Suzie whilst I am getting dinner ready to take to mum's, steak casserole today ;), I tried making some low carb shortbread biscuits whilst I had the oven on, general consensus is that they need work :sorry:

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It came here. Would you like it back? I had thought we were finally done with summer -- and here it is back again. If it comes back there, please butter its paws so it will stay! Pleasepleasepleaseplease ............ :)
Yes please, but if it does we may wish to keep it.

Reactions: HarryBeau

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You're on a roll with the morning numbers and the lamb burger hasn't impacted that. Enjoy your wander goes well although weather forecast for the East isn't great.
@ianpspurs yes am on a roll with morning numbers. Am hoping that restricting double cream to a sensible level will help them stay low.

We were lucky with the weather at Goodersone Water Gardens - no rain yet here in the East. The water levels in the gardens are the lowest since 1976 and one of the lakes is completely dry.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I said this morning I have had a craving for milk ever since I became diabetic. I used to drink a whole bottle of milk, especially the unpasteurised stuff, which I can get near here. But since I was aware I was diabetic I didn't drink milk any more because of the sugars, which were too much.

My carbs currently are 20 carbs a day, and I do not go over.

So, with using this One Drop app to record my blood glucose and it giving predictions up to 8 hours ahead, I felt confident just now to make a milk+double cream+Greek yoghurt+Low carb protein powder+more cocoa shake. As a complete meal for my lunch/dinner. I have carefully worked out the carbs. I think it is about 9 or 10 carbs. It might be a bit more or a bit less.

My blood glucose readings have been in the 5's this morning and 5.6 just now before I began drinking it.

I put the carbs for the protein shake into the One Drop app, and it suggests over the next 8 hours I will still be in the 5's but reaching a 6 in about 8 hours. I can't quite see it. I think I will go into the 6's quicker than that.

Now excuse me while I drink my drink of heaven. It is absolutely delicious...

If you hear me screaming in a couple of hours then it means my piece of heaven has raised my blood sugars too much...

But in the meantime I am in heaven....

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thumbnail

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two hours after my experiment chocolate meal shake I made up myself, and I am 7.4

I am not surprised it has gone from 5.6 before I drank it, up to this 7.4 two hours later.

I thought I would be disappointed if it went up to the 7's even 2 hours after the meal. But I am not. It was a controlled experiment.

But I have to say I feel satisfied and comfortably full. It is an unusual sensation for me to feel full. And I think this feeling might last until tomorrow.

When I do this again, it will be half quantity of everything.

I have enough milk and stuff left to make/invent some chia puddings. But I am going out in the garden first. The rain has finally stopped...

Hope your day has been good.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two hours after my experiment chocolate meal shake I made up myself, and I am 7.4

I am not surprised it has gone from 5.6 before I drank it, up to this 7.4 two hours later.

I thought I would be disappointed if it went up to the 7's even 2 hours after the meal. But I am not. It was a controlled experiment.

But I have to say I feel satisfied and comfortably full. It is an unusual sensation for me to feel full. And I think this feeling might last until tomorrow.

When I do this again, it will be half quantity of everything.

I have enough milk and stuff left to make/invent some chia puddings. But I am going out in the garden first. The rain has finally stopped...

Hope your day has been good.

Congratulations on the success of your experiment! And thanks for posting the recipe for the milkshake. I miss milkshakes.

Occasionally I buy a bottle of milk for Cheerios, but then I end up wanting to buy a doughnut or a cookie or something to eat with the rest of the milk. Your shake sounds like a much better idea for any milk I might buy.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I said this morning I have had a craving for milk ever since I became diabetic. I used to drink a whole bottle of milk, especially the unpasteurised stuff, which I can get near here. But since I was aware I was diabetic I didn't drink milk any more because of the sugars, which were too much.

My carbs currently are 20 carbs a day, and I do not go over.

So, with using this One Drop app to record my blood glucose and it giving predictions up to 8 hours ahead, I felt confident just now to make a milk+double cream+Greek yoghurt+Low carb protein powder+more cocoa shake. As a complete meal for my lunch/dinner. I have carefully worked out the carbs. I think it is about 9 or 10 carbs. It might be a bit more or a bit less.

My blood glucose readings have been in the 5's this morning and 5.6 just now before I began drinking it.

I put the carbs for the protein shake into the One Drop app, and it suggests over the next 8 hours I will still be in the 5's but reaching a 6 in about 8 hours. I can't quite see it. I think I will go into the 6's quicker than that.

Now excuse me while I drink my drink of heaven. It is absolutely delicious...

If you hear me screaming in a couple of hours then it means my piece of heaven has raised my blood sugars too much...

But in the meantime I am in heaven....
@gennepher - I really look forward to you posting the results of your experiment. By the way - your blood sugars are brilliant at the moment.

Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on the success of your experiment! And thanks for posting the recipe for the milkshake. I miss milkshakes.

Occasionally I buy a bottle of milk for Cheerios, but then I end up wanting to buy a doughnut or a cookie or something to eat with the rest of the milk. Your shake sounds like a much better idea for any milk I might buy.

Thank you.

Yes @SaskiaKC

Milk is a bit like that, that we will want something else with it.

I have sorely missed milkshakes. My recipe had a decent amount of protein. It was a full meal in itself. And it was easily digested. But I will make half the quantity next time.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a bad reading - so experiment was a success.

Thank you @Krystyna23040

Yes it was a success, but I will make half the quantity next time, and see how that goes.

Thank you for the compliment on my blood sugars. I am working to keep them within range.

I have to say I live on my own, so my day to day life makes it potentially easier, than some people who have spouses and families, to get to this point. It has taken me long enough, but I have got to where I am now.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is an unusual sensation for me to feel full. And I think this feeling might last until tomorrow.

You have answered a question I wanted to ask of people I know with diabetes -- am I the only one who almost never feels full?

No, apparently not the only one. :(

I was very disappointed yesterday. I ate an Atkins low-carb meal of beef meatloaf with mixed veg (beans, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms) and gravy, and two hours later I was as hungry as if I hadn't eaten at all.
Sigh.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All well got my girls back. Bobs still very unsettled, struggled to get her from the top shelf of her chalet into her box. I wonder if the escape at the beginning of their stay was still on her mind. Since they came home Daisy has settled in well but Bobs is still unsettled. It makes me sad to put them in the cattery and its only once or twice a year but we just have to ha e a break. @gennepher your progression over control of BG and your experiments are so inspiring to me. I imagine @Bubbsie is making up for lost time without Freddie but missing him at the same time. I have been jealous of @ianpspurs lamb dinner but it couldnt happen to a nicer man. Just checking in on @pavlosn are you ok miss your photos. @jjraak you also on my mind. @DJC3 hope you are mending.
Just checked my bg before supper and its 6.0 so a lot higher than normal at this time of day. Oh well. Hope you all had a great Sunday.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I often ha
You have answered a question I wanted to ask of people I know with diabetes -- am I the only one who almost never feels full?

I was very disappointed yesterday. I ate an Atkins low-carb meal of beef meatloaf with mixed veg (beans, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms) and gravy, and two hours later I was as hungry as if I hadn't eaten at all.
Sigh.
Yes I often have to feel empty and I dont like it! In Spain because the mosquitos raised my numbers I mostly skipped breakfast and had a tapas or two at lunch, and was ravenous all day until I ate supper. Cafe con leche sometimes helped. I am not so keen on the coffees out here, they are all bad versions of Italian (cappucino, latte, espresso) or Americano none of which really work for me.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sigh.

Glad I could give you an answer @SaskiaKC
It is now nearly 8pm, probably about 6 hours after I had my version of the milk shake that made me feel full, and I still feel comfortably full. It is unusual for me to feel full, as I said before.

I shall see what my glucose readings are in the early hours, and also my fbg tomorrow.

That sounds a good meal you had. I wonder why you did not feel satisfied with it.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All well got my girls back. Bobs still very unsettled, struggled to get her from the top shelf of her chalet into her box. I wonder if the escape at the beginning of their stay was still on her mind. Since they came home Daisy has settled in well but Bobs is still unsettled. It makes me sad to put them in the cattery and its only once or twice a year but we just have to ha e a break. @gennepher your progression over control of BG and your experiments are so inspiring to me. I imagine @Bubbsie is making up for lost time without Freddie but missing him at the same time. I have been jealous of @ianpspurs lamb dinner but it couldnt happen to a nicer man. Just checking in on @pavlosn are you ok miss your photos. @jjraak you also on my mind. @DJC3 hope you are mending.
Just checked my bg before supper and its 6.0 so a lot higher than normal at this time of day. Oh well. Hope you all had a great Sunday.

Hopefully @PenguinMum Bobs will settle in after tonight at home. Glad Daisy has settled.

I am trying to find the best way forward for me. I write on here, hopefully to give others info or ideas.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG 7 according to the meter this morning. Apparently the sausages I ate yesterday didn't neutralize the effect of the accompanying biscuits. Oh, well.

@dunelm the new photos are beautiful. The one with the river and mountains looks a little like the mountain town I am hoping to move to north of here.

@PenguinMum I could almost hear the purring! (I hope you picked up some tuna as well as the bread and milk.) ;) Welcome home, Bobs and Daisy! ^. .^. .^

@Bubbsie I can't wait to see the pics of Frankie. I sympathize with him about the grass. I need more green space than we have here.

@Debandez I'm glad you got over your shyness and posted about your meeting with Dr Unwin. We all dream of meeting our heroes, and I enjoyed reading your description -- like a movie scene. Thank you for posting it. I wish I could come to Blackpool -- it sounds so exciting!
I would love to meet you. One day maybe.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I often ha

Yes I often have to feel empty and I dont like it! In Spain because the mosquitos raised my numbers I mostly skipped breakfast and had a tapas or two at lunch, and was ravenous all day until I ate supper. Cafe con leche sometimes helped. I am not so keen on the coffees out here, they are all bad versions of Italian (cappucino, latte, espresso) or Americano none of which really work for me.

You have my sympathy about the coffees. A slightly different problem has affected me recently. I read that decaf coffee, which I usually drink for my blood pressure, can raise LDL cholesterol. I also read that unfiltered coffee can raise LDL numbers. This after just a few months ago reading how delicious and "real" unfiltered coffee is, and buying a stovetop percolator to make coffee the good old way my mother used to! Arrrggghhh.

A hug to you, and purrs to Daisy and especially Bobs. She may well have a little PTSD going on related to her carrier, but I believe that she will settle down and be fine now you are all home again.