Not loosing as much weight as I thought and the weight loss seems to have come to a stop

Paynejack02

I am a type 1 diabetic and my nurse recommended that I started a Keto diet to try and help loose weight. I started the diet about 7/8 weeks ago. It has dramatically reduced my insulin intake from 25 units of Lantus in the morning and novo everytime I eat too 20 units of lantus a day with no novorapid and having average levels of 6.3 for the past 7 weeks. I have lost a stone in that time and although I am pleased with that I thought I would have lost a lot more by now sticking to the diet 100%. My weight seems to have stopped also, I do a very active job so this combined with the diet I feel like I should be in a better place than I am now. Has anyone had the same experience and tried a different diet?
Thanks Jack

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m type 2 so it may affect me differently but have you considered how much fat you’re eating? Whilst we use it to replace carbs for energy it’s still possible to overeat it. Even when fat burning has replaced glucose for our main source of energy our bodies will burn what we eat before the stores we wear. You need enough to feel full and have energy but not more, if weight loss is desired. Also every time I got dehydrated I stalled. Drink plenty of fluids. Not to forget we all lose at different speeds etc anyway. If you’re getting such level blood results and losing a stone in 7 weeks isn’t a failure by any means I’d keep going.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are those running diet clubs who would love to get anyone on their books with that sort of weightloss.
You might notice that you are losing volume, even without weightloss - my weightloss stopped some time ago but my waist is a lot narrower now, and I have noticed that my strength has improved considerably, so it could be that I am gaining muscle mass back - I can hoist knitting machines around quite easily now.

EvafromSussex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't give up!
Keto diet is a broad church, and you can try adjustments which may restart your weight loss: extra 10 - 30 minutes of exercise added to most days of a week, careful and slow reduction of carbs you eat daily, which should decrease further your insulin requirement while upping fat slowly (so that hunger is not an issue), reduce fructose intake, stabilise your sleeping pattern. Decrease alcohol intake (or substitute with 40% ethanol drinks). Try each of these in turn for no less than 2 weeks for each, and if this does not shift things, try doing these things in pairs.
Don't give up!

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight seems to have stopped also, I do a very active job so this combined with the diet I feel like I should be in a better place than I am now. Has anyone had the same experience and tried a different diet? Thanks Jack

You might have reached what they call, "diet plateau." here's an excellent explanation on that:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-plateau/art-20044615

Keep at it, and in addition to your active day, include a daily exercise regime to help "nudge" it along.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you lose weight, you're consuming less fuel than you need to keep your weight stable at your initial pre-diet level. At some point you're going find that this lower consumption finally becomes the amount required to maintain your lower weight, so you'll need to cut down again. AFAIK this is why weight loss will plateau.

Robbity

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I am a type 1 diabetic and my nurse recommended that I started a Keto diet to try and help loose weight. I started the diet about 7/8 weeks ago. It has dramatically reduced my insulin intake from 25 units of Lantus in the morning and novo everytime I eat too 20 units of lantus a day with no novorapid and having average levels of 6.3 for the past 7 weeks. I have lost a stone in that time and although I am pleased with that I thought I would have lost a lot more by now sticking to the diet 100%. My weight seems to have stopped also, I do a very active job so this combined with the diet I feel like I should be in a better place than I am now. Has anyone had the same experience and tried a different diet?
Thanks Jack

Hi Jack,
The only Type 1 diabetics I know personally are both as thin as a rake.

As others have pointed out, Keto is not (necessarily) a crash diet but meant to be sustainable. Thus your weigh loss is a great result with the added bonus that you have flatter BG levels. So enjoy your success!

As a Type 2 on a LCHF lifestyle aiming for 20gms to 50gms of carbs per day and eating either protein or fat to satiety, I found I was losing between 1 and 1.5 lbs per week on average. Though this has slowed down as I dropped to the middle of the 'normal BMI range'.

Although a Low Carb diet seem to melt away fat by magic (without a conscious calorie reduction), eventually the Calories In to Calories out becomes the determining factor again.

Alternatively could you be now replacing excess body fat with new muscle? Weight isn't really as important as many make out! There are fit and healthy people who are considered 'Overweight' or even 'Obese' on the BMI scale just as there are unfit, unhealthy people who are in the 'Normal' or the 'Underweight' BMI range. Think of athletes such a weight lifters, heavyweight boxers, shot-putters, hammer throwers etc. most if not all of those would be considered Obese. I am old enough to remember Daly Thompson in his prime, his BMI must have been 'Overweight or Obese'. Yet he could run good times in the 100 and 400 meters as well as do the 'Field' events side of 'Track and Field'.