woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Is it worth it?

I did it last year and I’ve paid for low carb programme.

Are they separate? I want to keep low carb programme just for recipes but not sure I want to pay £36 pe for the other given i don’t really use it

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Diabetes.org is different to diabetes.co.uk

Is membership worth it? Do you feel you get support and useful information from both?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Diabetes.org is different to diabetes.co.uk

Is membership worth it? Do you feel you get support and useful information from both?

Is that different to the low carb programme?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Yes, it’s a different organisation.

Cool.
So if I don’t renew I still keep that.

I’d like to renew to support it but all I get is a magazine every quarter.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a member of Diabetes UK.
What I get is a contribution towards the costs of research into a cure for diabetes and lobbying of government and the NHS.
If it wasn’t for Diabetes UK and JDRF, I would expect to pay for Libre and not have the readings recognised when driving. Sure I would get these if I didn’t pay my membership because others do that but, for me, that feels selfish, so I chose to pay. The magazine is an added extra.

Edited to add: I realise my example was focused on type 1 so I will add inclusion of diabetes under DDA is due to lobbying by Diabetes UK. Please don’t judge them by the magazine and dietary advice alone.

Sorry to disagree @helensaramay
for a type 1 , i do believe Duk would be a decent forum to use and has much to merit it.

but of the two, it's hard not to judge them just on the dietary advice, as that is what we need most as T2D.
i wouldn't recommend friends to go to DUK, but i would heartily recommend DCUK for any Type 2.

Reactions: woollygal

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to disagree @helensaramay
for a type 1 , i do believe Duk would be a decent forum to use and has much to merit it.

but of the two, it's hard not to judge them just on the dietary advice, as that is what we need most as T2D.
i wouldn't recommend friends to go to DUK, but i would heartily recommend DCUK for any Type 2.
That sums up my opinion.

Reactions: woollygal

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a member of Diabetes UK, and an officer of my local Diabetes UK group. For myself, although I am a member of both forums, I am significantly more active here than there, but I recognise the value in both.

I don't believe one size fits all. Personally, whilst it'd be great of all those living with diabetes loved this site, that's unrealistic, but I'd prefer those who prefer Diabetes UK's offering to become involved in it, than to ignore their condition altogether.

Of course, things aren't that binary.they rarely are.

In terms of my local DUK group; that's about way more than diabetes, even though that is the thread connecting all of our attendees. Our group is very diverse, in terms of ages, types of diabetes, approaches and demographically, but somehow for those few hours a month there is a strong bond of affinity and support.

As a group we were dealt a bitter blow this year, when one of our fellow travellers had a very significantly life changing health setback. To a man ((and woman), our attendees show interest in him and how he's doing, every time we come together, even though it's likely to be quite some time before he's properly back in the fold.

It is also worth noting that Diabetes UK is a major and significant provider of financial support for a proportion of the research carried out in our national research centres and diabetes centres of excellence, so every single one of us here is likely to have benefited from the work of Diabetes UK, their networks of local volunteers and their sponsored projects and scientists.

In terms of research, development and support, I'll appreciate it wherever it comes from.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am not happy with the other forum. For Type 2's they align themselves with methodologies of eating that definitely raise blood glucose in the majority. I have watched 2 videos where they actively detract from low carb, and they have a small concessionary statement.

This forum is moderate, so not as direct as I would like on some topics, but this strategy probably carries the most people.

Whilst money is important the other furum have at least 1 sponsor (a breakfast bar) that is just junk and I think a fizzy drink company.

I am sorry but the only positive I have for them is their involvement in the APPG.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a member of Diabetes UK for about 5 years or so when I was originally diagnosed (before I saw the low carb light). I cancelled my membership when they accepted sponsorship from a drinks company selling high sugar drinks. I wrote to question the ethics of this link up and the response was we can change things from the inside easier than from the outside. I sincerely doubt that as they are now "on the pay roll".