Hubby blood sugar 8.8

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

Randomly checked my hubby's blood sugar and its 8.8 , he had eaten so it's a random one. I told him it's too high. Am I right? He ate a carb heavy lunch.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Not a dr but even normal non diabetics can go up to 8 or higher if they eat a very carb loaded meal.

But I guess if worried get dr to do bloods etc

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had read that a normal persons shouldn't get over 7.8 no matter what.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Everyone’s sugar levels rise. It’s just that with diabetes it doesn’t go down again

If a non diabetic eats a very car loaded meal their sugars can go higher but theirs will come down. Again I’m not a dr if you want professional medical answers speak to a dr.

But we can’t diagnose diabetes on here regardless.

But my dr has always said that non diabetics can go higher

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Anyone can spike to high blood sugars if they eat carbs, it’s when they come back down or not is the issue. Diabetes is high blood sugars that don’t come back down due to lack of insulin, not enough insulin or the body isn’t responding to insulin.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your husband’s 8.8 stayed 8.8 and continued to climb for the next couple of hours, then we got a problem. If it drops within 1-2hrs, it shouldn’t be an issue.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hello

Randomly checked my hubby's blood sugar and its 8.8 , he had eaten so it's a random one. I told him it's too high. Am I right? He ate a carb heavy lunch.
How long after the meal did you test. Really should be 2 hours. If less than everyone will be higher

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
"I had read that a normal persons shouldn't get over 7.8 no matter what."

What it shouldn't do and what it does do are different things. A non Diabetic's levels can rise above 10 but come down quickly and easily because their metabolism works properly.

To the OP. Random readings tell you nothing, test in the right fashion or simply save your strips.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not true.
They usually are below that, but can go above 10 under the right circumstances without ever developing diabetes.

If he's worried he could ask for a hba1c, or he could test a couple more times to see if things look right but not right after food. It wouldn't worry me if I tested a friend after a high carb meal.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks guys feel better now x

Never the less you did have a concern.
So it may be sensible to do a planned test anyway.
Finger prick before meal and two hours after first bite.
That should give you some reassurance.

The last thing we want is to go "No, no, that's perfectly normal." when it might be the first sign of pre-diabetes.
Unlikely though that is.

So as the issue has been raised, even though it is not likely to be a problem, a proper test as described above is a sensible safety measure.

Nimble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't feel human if it gets below 8.
Thought I was doing ok, suppose I best read up on all this again.....

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Are you newly diagnosed? If so it can take a while for your body to acclimatise to lower sugars.
When I first got diagnosed if I hit anything below 10 I thought I was dying and having a hypo. Took a while but now I’m even pretty much coping on 4s. Not perfectly but I’m
Not teaching immediately for something to eat.

You have to remember on here that a lot of people have been doing this a long time. They can get perfect t numbers and stay at those.

When I first joined it was overwhelming to hear people say that’s too high you have to be in 5/6. It felt impossible and like I’d never achieve it. It took a few months but I got there.

Just remember it is a journey.

Strangely now if I go above 8 I can’t stand it either. Woke up 9.7 this morning and my tongue is all tingly and weird (gone down to 7.9) but tongue still off and I feel bit icky.

Don’t worry, you will start to see lovely numbers but it does take a while.

Perfection gets stayed on here but it isn’t instant. What they don’t tell you is how pong it took them to get there.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Is it because you’ve been running high for some time? When someone runs high for a period of time, they feel false hypo symptoms when they drop to lower numbers.

Nimble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been stuck with this for years unfortunately - never mentally got to grips with it. Got this week off so it looks like I'm going to be enjoying a sugar crash

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Been stuck with this for years unfortunately - never mentally got to grips with it. Got this week off so it looks like I'm going to be enjoying a sugar crash
Do you do low carb high fat?

My sugars got the best I ever had when I went below 20g carbs a day. With meds as well but it worked

Nimble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Afraid I've not really taken it as seriously as I should, more a "limit it to 2 biscuits with my cuppa" person.

M

Member496333

The problem with comparing to the general population is that vast swathes of the general population are metabolically damaged or half way there. Personally I do not believe that numbers this high are natural in humans. "Normal" is subjective.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you newly diagnosed? If so it can take a while for your body to acclimatise to lower sugars.
When I first got diagnosed if I hit anything below 10 I thought I was dying and having a hypo. Took a while but now I’m even pretty much coping on 4s. Not perfectly but I’m
Not teaching immediately for something to eat.

You have to remember on here that a lot of people have been doing this a long time. They can get perfect t numbers and stay at those.

When I first joined it was overwhelming to hear people say that’s too high you have to be in 5/6. It felt impossible and like I’d never achieve it. It took a few months but I got there.

Just remember it is a journey.

Strangely now if I go above 8 I can’t stand it either. Woke up 9.7 this morning and my tongue is all tingly and weird (gone down to 7.9) but tongue still off and I feel bit icky.

Don’t worry, you will start to see lovely numbers but it does take a while.

Perfection gets stayed on here but it isn’t instant. What they don’t tell you is how pong it took them to get there.

That's exactly how my tongue goes when I go low (under 3), how weird it feels too. It feels like you have scalded it and the skin is about to come off!!!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afraid I've not really taken it as seriously as I should, more a "limit it to 2 biscuits with my cuppa" person.

Ok some reading material for your week off to give you some ideas what you can do beyond the 2 biscuit limit

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS (other than metformin) CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. This is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Reactions: Nimble