Signs of being on your way to remission?

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To those in remission, were there any signs that you're on your way to remission? That you're right on track?
Positive feedback from the glucometer? Weight loss?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me weight loss, regularisation of blood sugar levels and the end of many other "ailments" like sleep apnea, hypertension and acid reflux.

Reactions: Guna108

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
For me weight loss, regularisation of blood sugar levels and the end of many other "ailments" like sleep apnea, hypertension and acid reflux.
Plus one to this alongside a resolution of bipolar 2 symptoms.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Meter readings from 8.x to 4.x and initial drop from 134 to 59 on the A1C. Reading other anecdotes reinforced a belief in possible remission.

M

Member496333

I considered myself in remission when I no longer experienced dawn phenomenon that would previously climb and climb until I ate something. At the same time I undertook a fasting insulin and HOMA-IR resistance test (both values very low). Only then was I comfortable that I had purged all the excess glucose from my body and rid myself of diabetes.

I have no doubt that I most likely still have some level of impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), but since I don't intend to consume any glucose ever again, I am 100% happy with that :D

EDIT: I am an engineer and did not consider myself "on my way" to anything until I actually arrived there.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 308541

To those in remission, were there any signs that you're on your way to remission? That you're right on track?
I was on track after I cracked the first 34 mmol/mol hba1c level to be under excellent control .

bXkGdsh.jpg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c and glucose test., along with symptom reversal. Symptom reversal has to be the ultimate indicator.

I also experienced weight loss and reduction in blood pressure at the same time.

Reactions: angustia

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Early sign was the day after diagnosis, the plume of smoke rising from the pile of diet advice sheets from the doctor as I used them to light a barbecue in the back garden.

Reactions: Flora123

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi angustia,
OK I'm not in remission (just back down from Diabetic to pre-diabetic).
The only thing I concentrate on is the BG levels shown on my Meter and my Hba1c tests. But then I was a TOFI, so looked healthy from the outside. Sure I lost weight (more than I expected), but that was not my concern since the most I have ever been considered 'overweight' in my entire life (68yrs old now) is by 2lbs.

I'm probably slightly biased, but I consider that getting the BG under control is more important than any weight loss - since thee are Obese people who are very healthy - think Heavyweight Boxers, Shot-Putters, Hammer Throwers etc.

Caprock94

Hi angustia,
OK I'm not in remission (just back down from Diabetic to pre-diabetic).
The only thing I concentrate on is the BG levels shown on my Meter and my Hba1c tests. But then I was a TOFI, so looked healthy from the outside. Sure I lost weight (more than I expected), but that was not my concern since the most I have ever been considered 'overweight' in my entire life (68yrs old now) is by 2lbs.

I'm probably slightly biased, but I consider that getting the BG under control is more important than any weight loss - since thee are Obese people who are very healthy - think Heavyweight Boxers, Shot-Putters, Hammer Throwers etc.

For me, it was my lower BG numbers, weight loss, and no more acid reflux. For some reason, however, I developed burning sensations in my feet AFTER lowering numbers.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Not sure about reversal for me, yet but I no longer hv consistant thrush when I hv good control. None.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
For me, it was my lower BG numbers, weight loss, and no more acid reflux. For some reason, however, I developed burning sensations in my feet AFTER lowering numbers.
Some say the pain is due to your body attempting to repair.
I know a few research projects on it currently but no conclusions yet.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
GP is going to review my BP meds but not low so bit concerned.
However maybe the nhs hv now a plan on assisting those who improve their diabetes. Instead of progression, progression. :)

ShortStuff

When I wasn’t drinking enough to keep a camel happy!!

Stopped getting a headache every time I ate something

BG results dropped almost immediately
HBA1C from 12 to 5 after 3 months
Lost a bit of weight