No registration needed to view and search forum.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get over yourself. You are not an international man of mystery.

Nobody is rushing to search all your posts to see if they can piece together your identity from snippets of information. The internet is not hanging on your every word.

You are tilting at windmills.
:bag:

{I would so love to end that post there but it comes across as hostile, when it is intended to be blunt to get a point across, not confrontational to be mean. @jjraak I get that you feel your trust has been broken/misplaced but that is because you misunderstood something not because this site did anything wrong.

I hope you take your own advice, be a little more guarded but keep posting.}

Instead of ending your post anywhere you never should have started it in the first place.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I found the FB page but didn't see any posts that might have been copied from here to there. Why on earth anyone would want to do that anyway is beyond me. Isn't there some sort of "intellectual property" law that protects our posts from being copied and reposted elsewhere? Or do all our posts here automatically become the property of DCUK once we post them? At least we should be notified if we are quoted elsewhere, if not to clear it then to know we have been quoted.

I guess on any online forum we are all public figures and anything we say becomes public also.

Which is why I always use userids online and never post pics of myself.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I have looked through quite a few of the posts on the older thread and I would still like an accept or decline button for our posts to be visible on Facebook. With the technology now, I can't see this being a problem. this site and has grown such a lot over the years, with Facebook, Twitter, it's on Wikipedia too and probably other social networks. At the end of the day this diabetes site is a company and like others, they want their site promoted, as much as possible, to be in the public eye, get noticed and get as many members signed up as possible.
Over the past couple of years things like- the Low carb programme has been catapulted, Hypo awareness programme to name just two. So, if all this can be done and more besides, then why can't we, as members, have the the option for an opt out or in clause/ to accept or decline, regrading whether or not our posts are to be transferred on Facebook ?
At the end of the day, if we don't accept the terms and conditions DCUK impose then we would probably walk away and not join up and that is not what the site wants !
This is just my own personal preference.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"intellectual property" law that protects our posts from being copied and reposted elsewhere?
Half the stuff posted on here is information we have sourced from somewhere else, your suggestion we would not be able to copy or repose anything on to here either.

This site is to help and support people in need of help and support. It is not to help only the members anyone from all over the world can find us with a google search which is why we have members from all over the world. This idea that some part of the site should be private or cordoned of to guests means we are potential withholding the very information someone needs for themselves or a loved one. That is not right.

There is no price for our help you do not have to disable your add blocker or sigh up and hand over your personal details, just to read a post.

Reactions: Prem51

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
We keep skirting around the same issue and there still seems to be a lot of lack of appreciation about how the World Wide Web works.

(1) Having a search function on this site which will accept a User ID is a non-issue.

To illustrate, in your favourite search engine (Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo), type:

"site:diabetes.co.uk LittleGreyCat"

and you should see most or all of my posts.
Have fun. :)
As others have said, search engines such as Google and Bing have "web crawlers" which are automated systems which constantly crawl around web sites and index individual pages and content.
This is how many members and non-members first encounter this site.
For may sites the web search is more effective than the internal search on that web site because the major search engines are far more sophisticated.

(2) Take one of those links, and copy and paste it into your favourite Facebook page.
As far as I can tell the link would then make my post visible to anyone who has access to that particular Facebook user or group.

The same will work for WhatApp (which is generally a closed group) or Twitter.
Along with many other sites and systems.

So the Administrator of this site posting a link on Facebook or Twitter isn't doing anything that any other user of the World Wide Web can do (and possibly does).

My memory is hazy, but one of the previous times this came up didn't the site set up a private area for blogging and such where private information could be posted?
It is a while back, now.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My memory is hazy, but one of the previous times this came up didn't the site set up a private area for blogging and such where private information could be posted?
It is a while back, now.
I don't know but without logging in I can read the blogs part.
I found another thing when viewing the site as a guest. Three short messages are shown at the top of the screen. One of them says this: "Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.".

Reactions: Japes and SaskiaKC

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get over yourself. You are not an international man of mystery.

Nobody is rushing to search all your posts to see if they can piece together your identity from snippets of information. The internet is not hanging on your every word.

You are tilting at windmills.

{I would so love to end that post there but it comes across as hostile, when it is intended to be blunt to get a point across, not confrontational to be mean. @jjraak I get that you feel your trust has been broken/misplaced but that is because you misunderstood something not because this site did anything wrong.

I hope you take your own advice, be a little more guarded but keep posting.}

"International man of mystery"
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

That did make me laugh..:D

I thought I had covered the reason in previous post, so won't be extending that further.

I could have taken it as hostile, if you'd left it at that I suppose , but i think it would still have made me laugh instead.:D

Have a good un,
Life moves on

Enjoy your day.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But @zand if you just search on a user's name then by definition it will retrieve all their posts because that's simply how searches work - so that's what you'll get. just the same as if you search for any other word. It doesn't necessarily mean though that the searcher has an ulterior motive or intends to invade our privacy - or even that they'll want to read through every single post.

It has been said that ANYBODY could search the forum, let's not forget we are all, with a few exceptions, ANYBODY. I am actually a 16 year old girl. The exception are those who use their own name or photograph and give away personal details like their birthdate, that seems very unwise.
Oh, and there was I thinking that nobody on the net knew you were a dog?? o_O:D

Robbity

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robbity Yes i know that's what happens if you click on someone's name. What I am saying is why can't that facility be blocked for guests and only be available to members?

If I try to search for someone on Facebook I can only get to their home page. I need to open a Facebook account to see messages etc. Why can't the same be done here?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robbity Yes i know that's what happens if you click on someone's name. What I am saying is why can't that facility be blocked for guests and only be available to members?

If I try to search for someone on Facebook I can only get to their home page. I need to open a Facebook account to see messages etc. Why can't the same be done here?
I understand where you’re coming from and agree to a point but by signing up as a member as you request they should need to they then could then do all the searching they like.

How hard is it to sign up (with real or dodgy details!). If someone actively want to stalk/investigate/identify you needing to sign up first hardly makes it difficult.

Not sure it makes things different in any real way.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

And even if you open a FB account you won't be able to see anyone else's messages unless they have set up their accounts to be viewed by the Public.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a perfectly wonderfully private area available to all members, once they become a little established. It's called Private Messages. :)

In general, this is my personal take on this: Man/woman, on diagnosis, or encountering an issue Googles "type 2 diabetes management/normal blood sugar ranges" or whatever and finds this place. They even find there are even some people on here, who are a bit like them, and with whom they felt I could engage.

Fast forward an indeterminate period of time.

Same person learns others are using Google to search on type 2 diabetes management/normal blood sugar ranges" or whatever and find this place is visible to them, just like it was to themselves, but get uptight about it.

Personally, try not to make myself readily identifiable on the internet, as I view anything I send to the interweb to be findable, and readable. If I don't want anyone read what I write, I shouldn't write it, or send it in PM.

Last edited:

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I don’t see much difference in having to register first to be able to search and view all posts and being able to do these without registering.

But for someone newly diagnosed or seeking urgent info it can make a difference. I’m very grateful for the open information that was available to me easily on this forum. It took me a long time to register.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Wow, so much discussion about privacy. It is the openness that makes the information in this Forum credible!

The only reason I don't use my exact real name is because the userid must be unique.
So instead I use the exact same username in all forums I use on the internet.
Personally I am suspicious of any information posted by somebody who isn't transparent - I have been scammed out of many thousands of pounds in the past.

Apart from being a member here I am on several financial trading websites and run a support group for students of a particular financial trading instructor. My biggest fear is not of people recognising me, but of people mistaking me for somebody (less scrupulous) who happens to be using the same userid on some other forum - as was the case with one guy on an Indonesian Trading Forum.

When I recently filled in a survey on use of Online Support Forums for Diabetes from (supposedly) a Phd student at Sheffield University I was aware that this might have been a 'phishing operation'. I took the risk because I think it is something worth doing.

Anybody who wants to find me can do so if they try. I don't care if I am verbally attacked, as I am almost every week in the Financial Trading forums, I don't think I ever make somebody angry enough to want to physically attack me (though there are some people out there who might whether they have any provocation or not). Indeed I find it frustrating that I can't really speak my mind in this Forum as I can in the Financial Trading ones, due to the rules to protect the more 'vulnerable of the members'.

I have both a Facebook and Twitter account to which I do not currently post. After seeing a thread asking for people to help spread the word about Low Carb and Diabetes I was considering if I should do more on social media but I don't feel ready for that yet.

Sorry, rant over.

Ian

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just last night I saw a newish thread asking for feedback as to how much presence we want this board to have on social media sites. My reaction was "Coincidence?" No mention was made of this thread, but I was very interested to see that thread in a different forum appearing about the same time as this one.

I certainly do not want my posts here copied onto FB or Twitter.