Meat Ban

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Can't read the article because I am not a subscriber.
However as far as I am aware smoking is not illegal.
There are restrictions on where you can smoke (mainly aimed at not inflicting "secondary smoking" on the unwilling). I fully support this.
However there are still places where you can smoke in public (like the tables outside in the street) and you can certainly smoke in your own home.

I'm not sure that there is an equivalent "secondary meat eating" which can turn you into an unwilling carnivore.
I await more information with interest.

If the aim is to ban commercial raising of livestock this won't be enough in the long run.
There are plenty of wild animals running free in the UK.
Mainly deer, but also wild boar.
Jury is out on game birds which are bred for shooting but I assume there are wild breeding colonies of these as well.
I assume that if commercial raising of meat animals is banned, the upland areas currently farmed but not suitable for arable farming will be abandoned and then populated by animals including grazers.
I'm not sure if this proposal includes the killing of every single sheep, horse and cow in the UK.

There are a significant number of licensed hunters who go out and shoot wild deer for food.
An ecologically sound approach because there are far too many wild deer and they need culling to prevent damage to agricultural crops.
This is an interesting challenge.
What do you do if your crops are overrun with wild deer?
Kill them and give them a natural burial?
Let carnivores (human or wild predators) kill and eat them?
Try and dose them with contraceptives without any leaking into the environment?

O.K.
Back to real life.
Never happen.

The banning of intensive rearing of cattle in feed lots, as seen for example in the USA and
Argentina, however would certainly have my support.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

I assume that if commercial raising of meat animals is banned, the upland areas currently farmed but not suitable for arable farming will be abandoned and then populated animals including grazers.

Or more likely end up concreted over with 500 Taylor Wimpey new builds and a Co-Op.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best I start training my cats to go hunting ... :(
I wish I still had my gentle little old dog! He was a cunning and skilled hunter and I'd often come home from work to find a dead bird or nice fat juicy rat waiting for my delectation on the living room carpet...

Robbity
Who is wondering whether when we all become vegans WE ourselves will actually end up emitting more "greenhouse gases" than the world's current cow population ever does? o_O

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ah good old deep fried rat on a stick might be a bit carby though.

rat on a stick.jpg

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be back to the old Road Kill then.

Then again - Are electric cars deadly enough to do the deed?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An article that will worry those who are concerned about the future of meat is in today's Telegraph.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...banned-like-smoking-says-top-barrister-calls/

“Michael Mansfield QC warned that the farming of livestock for meat was destroying the planet and called for legislation to criminalise those who cause global warming and the wilful destruction of wildlife”.

This is a rerun of an thread started by @zand

If we tighten down on the other factors then it might not be required to eat less meat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We have just bought some piglets and young goats to fatten up, they will be feeding us for a while.

Meat ban...
0y4h3.gif
0y4h3.gif
0y4h3.gif
Not so sure that Australia is safe...

FABLE (The Food, Agriculture, Biodiversity, Land Use, and Energy Consortium)

....Gradual adoption of healthy diets. Between 2010 and 2050...

decrease 91% for red meat
decrease 67% for monogastric meat
etc etc

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just in case your wondering.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SF6 is the most potent greenhouse gas that it has evaluated, with a global warming potential of 23,900 times that of CO2 when compared over a 100-year period.

Sulfur hexafluoride is inert in the troposphere and stratosphere and is extremely long-lived, with an estimated atmospheric lifetime of 800–3,200 years.

Measurements of SF6 show that its global average mixing ratio has increased by about 0.2 ppt (parts per trillion) per year to over 9 ppt as of February 2018. Average global SF6 concentrations increased by about seven percent per year during the 1980s and 1990s, mostly as the result of its use in the magnesium production industry, and by electrical utilities and electronics manufacturers. Given the small amounts of SF6 released compared to carbon dioxide, its overall contribution to global warming is estimated to be less than 0.2 percent.

Except of course it's use in switch gear, renewable energy wind farms tidal generation and the main stream power industry has been increasing exponentially and same for the leakages and as you can see from above it persists for an awful long time.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just in case your wondering.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SF6 is the most potent greenhouse gas that it has evaluated, with a global warming potential of 23,900 times that of CO2 when compared over a 100-year period.

Sulfur hexafluoride is inert in the troposphere and stratosphere and is extremely long-lived, with an estimated atmospheric lifetime of 800–3,200 years.

Measurements of SF6 show that its global average mixing ratio has increased by about 0.2 ppt (parts per trillion) per year to over 9 ppt as of February 2018. Average global SF6 concentrations increased by about seven percent per year during the 1980s and 1990s, mostly as the result of its use in the magnesium production industry, and by electrical utilities and electronics manufacturers. Given the small amounts of SF6 released compared to carbon dioxide, its overall contribution to global warming is estimated to be less than 0.2 percent.

Except of course it's use in switch gear, renewable energy wind farms tidal generation and the main stream power industry has been increasing exponentially and same for the leakages and as you can see from above it persists for an awful long time.
Who says it will be easy?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Guzzler ... oh yes we are. With our export trade in meat, coupled with the sheer size of this country, we're immune from that rubbish.