What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold garlic chicken with leafy salad and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: carbonara (made with Explore Cuisine edamame fettuccini) sprinkled with grated mature cheddar, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

70DBA5AF-5AA9-4989-A681-C741FE241E23.jpeg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that some frozen foods are frozen with a v thin layer of water over them (such as prawns).
I am sure there are many reasons for this (protective, cuts down on freezer burn...) but it will also mean that 1kg of the food is actually food+water, and therefore lower carb than just the food would be...

B: LC hot choc
L: bacon, egg and a few chips
D: chook wings

And choc, of course.
Oh, and sloe gin.

Sign in eggnbacon cafe today: Let The Drinking Be Gin
Want one.

We have a little artisan pub locally. One of their signs they seem to rotate outside carries "If at first you don't succeed, try a gin."

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For this evening's offering, I made this: https://recipes.lidl.co.uk/Recipes/Pork-and-chorizo-casserole It was delicious.

As MrB was playing golf, and I had to go hospital visiting this afternoon, I started it in the morning, even though I was using the cauldron. I just put the stock, spices and veggies in the bottom of the pot, added the block of frozen pork, then the chorizo, then the canned tomatoes in top - no stirring.

I gave it a quick 10 minutes on pressure, then let the pressure release naturally, whilst I was distracted, dealing with a vat of yoghurt. I then stirred the mixture, just to ensure all the meat was exposed to the flavours. Set to Meat/Stew (which is 35 minutes) and left it to do its own thing.

Mr B had it with mash, but as I wasn't having that, I dolloped in a bit of sour cream to enrich the sauce. I had mine on top of finely shredded cabbage.

It was actually delicious and we have a couple of portions for the freezer.

Result.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Back from hols which was mainly panfried fish dinners, lots of salad, red wine, and I erian ham and manchego platters.
Today: slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: cheddar and small sliced apple from my tree.
Supper: 3 egg, 2 tomato chopped and grated cheese omelette.
My Sainsbury has decided to no longer stock HiLo due to poor sales. So I am left with LivLife for my toast but it is not as good to toast IMO. Trials and tribulations.
Winner for food but hug for hi lo news

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of an air fryer drama here in holiday land.
Very exciting, and a salutory lesson, which I am passing on. :hilarious:

I’ve been regularly making chicken kebabs, on wooden skewers. These have to be snapped shorter to fit the basket. Works v well.

And lately, I have been fitting more in by poking the ends of the wooden skewers into the vent holes in the bottom of the basket. They can’t stand upright (not enough headroom), but they can lean in a drunken circle, allowing a lot more skewers to fit in (6 instead of 3 or 4).

Only I have learned that if you leave the skewers half an inch too long, they are too close to the heat and scorch, even char.

I will leave you to imagine the door throwing open and the tea towel flapping, and the wafting of air away from the fire alarms...

It was a near run thing, I think.
Last thing we wanted, was a fire alarm setting off with our holiday cottage landlord in the next property. Haha!

The gadget now has a slight barbecue scorched wood aroma, but I expect it will clear, eventually.

The kebabs were great though.
Meat tossed in whatever spices and seasonings, mixed in with a dab of mayo, cream or oil, to keep the moistness in. Then chunks on skewer. Then skewer in airfryer for 20 mins at 180 degrees. Beautifully moist in middle, with lovely black/golden crispy bits on corners.

Of course, onions, peppers, chorizo and so on could add an extra dimension, if wanted.

Reactions: maglil55

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Breakfast made a keto 90 seconds bread served with boiled eggs and bacon only managed to eat 1/2 the keto bread and 1 egg with a coffee. Lunch I ate 1/4 bread roll was hoping it would settle my stomach but it only gave me a headache and high BSL yes I'm annoyed with myself...

Dinner had some chicken stock so made a quick soup with turmeric powder and vegetables for flavour enjoyed just sipping on the broth hopefully it settles my stomach down.
20190924_112650.jpeg
20190924_173249.jpeg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of an air fryer drama here in holiday land.
Very exciting, and a salutory lesson, which I am passing on. :hilarious:

I’ve been regularly making chicken kebabs, on wooden skewers. These have to be snapped shorter to fit the basket. Works v well.

And lately, I have been fitting more in by poking the ends of the wooden skewers into the vent holes in the bottom of the basket. They can’t stand upright (not enough headroom), but they can lean in a drunken circle, allowing a lot more skewers to fit in (6 instead of 3 or 4).

Only I have learned that if you leave the skewers half an inch too long, they are too close to the heat and scorch, even char.

I will leave you to imagine the door throwing open and the tea towel flapping, and the wafting of air away from the fire alarms...

It was a near run thing, I think.
Last thing we wanted, was a fire alarm setting off with our holiday cottage landlord in the next property. Haha!

The gadget now has a slight barbecue scorched wood aroma, but I expect it will clear, eventually.

The kebabs were great though.
Meat tossed in whatever spices and seasonings, mixed in with a dab of mayo, cream or oil, to keep the moistness in. Then chunks on skewer. Then skewer in airfryer for 20 mins at 180 degrees. Beautifully moist in middle, with lovely black/golden crispy bits on corners.

Of course, onions, peppers, chorizo and so on could add an extra dimension, if wanted.

Do you soak your wooden skewers before you load and cook them? I haven't used wooden skewers in the AF, but do always soak them for the BBQ, to prevent such events (not that the BBQ is indoors).

Would one of those trivets @Goonergal licked up work with your AF? Alternatively, would your IP trivet work, to create a second layer?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you soak your wooden skewers before you load and cook them? I haven't used wooden skewers in the AF, but do always soak them for the BBQ, to prevent such events (not that the BBQ is indoors).

Would one of those trivets @Goonergal licked up work with your AF? Alternatively, would your IP trivet work, to create a second layer?

Ours is (i think) quite a small airfryer. Not that i have much to compare it with, so it would have to be a tiny trivet.
I thought i was being ooooh so clever with my standing up skewers, but next time i shall be even cleverer, and cut them shorter :hilarious:
Yes to the soaking. Well, sort of. I mean, how long is a soak? Mine are about 2 mins, or less.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ours is (i think) quite a small airfryer. Not that i have much to compare it with, so it would have to be a tiny trivet.
I thought i was being ooooh so clever with my standing up skewers, but next time i shall be even cleverer, and cut them shorter :hilarious:
Yes to the soaking. Well, sort of. I mean, how long is a soak? Mine are about 2 mins, or less.

Or just wrap the pointy-up wooden ends in foil might work?

Reactions: Brunneria

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Mine is a small airfryer. This is the trivet I have: works well and comes with 4 metal skewers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JHCRRHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG higher than it should be but this morning I was hungry enough to eat the proverbial scabby horse! So I had breakfast - 2 slices of black pudding (different make to before and a bit too peppery for me) and 2 fried eggs with tea and pills, of course. I did take extra insulin before eating so it should be OK.

So now I wonder if I should try to have one more meal today at about 3 pm and then nothing until tomorrow lunch time. That would make a fast of about 17 - 18 hours. It will have to be the remains of my butternut squash soup - fairly filling with the butter and cream I put in it.

That would keep the carbs pretty low and the calories around 600 - 650. I really have to try to muster the energy to do some of the work needed around the house and I do seem to have more when I'm keeping the carbs very low but keeping the calories low does leave me flagging a bit.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs love the fragrant sauce, do you make it?
@Robbity thanks for the useful information and link on cashew nuts.
@Annb We all fall off the wagon now and again, the important thing is to get back on. Stay strong.️‍♀️
We don't make the sauce we buy it - knowing our limits is important. We have tried in vain to make an LC sauce for stir fry that is not horrible. sauce

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal and @Brunneria thanks for comments even though I'm not sure they help me at all. McCance and Widdowson led nowhere - pickled onions appear to be same %carbs as W........e frozen ones but clearly not the same product.
Tea and a latte from a supermarket until 3.00 pm then 1 slice ox tongue and 70 gms comte. Evening was lamb stir fry (Edamame and veg) with extra mushrooms, .5 sweet yellow pepper and lemongrass sauce plus 2 rows chocologic - Tesco sell that 80p cheaper than Morrisons so bought 5 bars. Food was OK but absolutely not today's priority - if I had thought a little more clearly I should have avoided the latte.

Was the lemongrass sauce a bit like this one: http://www.minhslivingtree.com/recipes/coconut-lemongrass-sauce.html

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I foresee another failed cooking episode coming on but what the heck.

The thing about sauces like this is there's no need to make lots and lots, so making a small batch makes sense, and where necessary tweaking the second batch made from the leftover ingredients for the first batch.

Instead of the full sized blender, attached to the food processor, we tend to use the little bowl, as marked with the stick blender. We don't have this specific blender, but very similar in terms of functions and add-ons.:

upload_2019-9-24_14-47-56.png

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Today am wondering if it is possible to use coconut flour to thicken cheese sauce?
has anyone tried this?
what was the result?
quantities?

have naked cauliflower desperately needing a covering...

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Today am wondering if it is possible to use coconut flour to thicken cheese sauce?
has anyone tried this?
what was the result?
quantities?

have naked cauliflower desperately needing a covering...

I haven't made a coconut "White sauce" but last Saturday I did use coconut flour to thicken a sauce for spicy chicken - I added it to the sauce right at the end of the cooking and just let it simmer for a few minutes. It does thicken the sauce a bit but for cauliflower cheese, etc I use lots of cheese plus a cream cheese and cream. It makes a sauce sufficiently thick to coat things. Very high calorie of course, but saves using flour or cornflour and is delicious. That reminds me - I haven't made cauliflower cheese in a while. Must do so soon.

I think, with coconut flour, it's a question of how much to use in a recipe - I haven't had a great deal of success using it instead of conventional flour. Also, the chicken dish was fine, but the coconut did start to separate out a bit when it was reheated so it didn't actually emulsify properly.

Reactions: ziggy_w