Fasting and high bgl levels

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How is it possible that I have been on OMAD for months and switch over to longer fasting and my blood glucose levels go up ? My main meal is either keto or LCHF. Have just finished making up a beef broth and a chicken broth and felt that I should just keep fasting until they come back level again. My last two HBA1C tests were 6.2 (45) and 6.6 (48).

Is this normal? There seems to be contradictory info when I go research it.

With no carb intake is it being dumped from the liver (where it can’t be seen or measured easily) into the blood stream where it is highly visible?

So frustrating

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How is it possible that I have been on OMAD for months and switch over to longer fasting and my blood glucose levels go up ? My main meal is either keto or LCHF. Have just finished making up a beef broth and a chicken broth and felt that I should just keep fasting until they come back level again. My last two HBA1C tests were 6.2 (45) and 6.6 (48).

Is this normal? There seems to be contradictory info when I go research it.

With no carb intake is it being dumped from the liver (where it can’t be seen or measured easily) into the blood stream where it is highly visible?

So frustrating

Finally found the answer from Jason Fung. It’s normal. Whew!,,
I wonder if it will affect the next lot of HBA1c tests negatively?
Hopefully as the sugar is pulled from the liver my early morning results will drop as well.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Finally found the answer from Jason Fung. It’s normal. Whew!,,
I wonder if it will affect the next lot of HBA1c tests negatively?
Hopefully as the sugar is pulled from the liver my early morning results will drop as well.
Hi Sparkle,
Well that is the theory, but as we are all different in our BG reactions only your next Hba1c test will confirm - unless you get a BG meter and start regularly testing for yourself. In which case you should (in theory) see a longer term trend of lower fasting BG levels.

M

Member496333

Yes it's normal. Or rather certainly not abnormal. The glucose already in your body has to go somewhere. Type 2 diabetes typically isn't a meal-to-meal affair. It's a lifetime of glucose accumulated in the whole body. When insulin levels drop off a cliff, the sugar locked-up in tissues and organs begins pouring back out into the blood. This is good. It means the dam of hypserinsulinemia is leaking - relieving the pressure of glucotoxicity in the rest of your body.

Stay calm and carry on.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sparkle,
Well that is the theory, but as we are all different in our BG reactions only your next Hba1c test will confirm - unless you get a BG meter and start regularly testing for yourself. In which case you should (in theory) see a longer term trend of lower fasting BG levels.

I have a meter and test regularly. It has been at acceptable levels until I started fasting for longer times and dropped carbs down even further.

Have made up a heap of both chicken and beef broth and will be using this over the next week as I slowly extend the fasting times.

Have stopped testing my bgl first thing as it freaks me out when it’s up at 8 . Water is now warmer in the pool and so are now starting to swim each day and use my mini trampoline. I usually aim for about an hour.

I am determined to bust as much glucose out of wherever it’s hiding itself.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it's normal. Or rather certainly not abnormal. The glucose already in your body has to go somewhere. Type 2 diabetes typically isn't a meal-to-meal affair. It's a lifetime of glucose accumulated in the whole body. When insulin levels drop off a cliff, the sugar locked-up in tissues and organs begins pouring back out into the blood. This is good. It means the dam of hypserinsulinemia is leaking - relieving the pressure of glucotoxicity in the rest of your body.

Stay calm and carry on.

Thanks for that explanation Jim. Beautifully put, so I will Stay calm and carry on.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I could see quite plainly with my meter readings that I do best on two meals a day. In the morning I have around 10 gm of carb, in the evening up to 30gm, but not every day. I usually see under 8 on the meter 2 hours after starting to eat, and my Hba1c seems to be settled. I'd like to see under 42, but I suspect that decades of glucose intolerance and urging to eat carbs, as they are 'so healthy' have set my glucostat higher than most. Maybe it will creep down eventually.
You could try two meals a day as an experiment, maybe in the month before your next Hba1c test, and see if it suits you.

Reactions: Sparkle1953