Doctor said my Hba1c is too low!!!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Over three years I have managed to reduce my Hba1c from 88 to 34. After my last visit to the doctor I was told that my Metformin dose was being reduced from 2 x 500mg a day to just one. The reason given and I quote "We don't like people with type 2 diabetes going to low with their Hba1c" is this really true? And why??
Mine was 35 at the last testing.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over three years I have managed to reduce my Hba1c from 88 to 34. After my last visit to the doctor I was told that my Metformin dose was being reduced from 2 x 500mg a day to just one. The reason given and I quote "We don't like people with type 2 diabetes going to low with their Hba1c" is this really true? And why??

Mine has been around 34-36 for the last 15 months with quarterly checks and my dn/doc was delighted. I’d ignore your doc. You are doing well.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi sugarshy,
I agree with all the responses above, I can only envy your Hba1c figures.
So long as you don't experience Hypos (which you shouldn't with just metformin) then there is no reason for concern - just the opposite!

Your GP seems to be one of the many who doesn't like to see a patient get better without increased medication. The other thing this type of doctor does is tell patients on Insulin who reduce their BG by diet to eat more carbs so that they can still take the same amount of Insulin. Thus treating the problem food like a medication!

I have never taken Metformin and so don't know if you should reduce to 1 per day or not, but from what other responders say it appears this is more of a personal decision rather than a medical necessity.

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Have you had your blood pressure checked with a 24 hour monitor rather than just at the surgery?
You may be able to come off those meds too... my hypertension normalised after a few months of keto and fasting.

Hi bulkbiker, yes I had one on for 24 hours, it inflated every half hour and frightened the life out of me, especially at night time! Consequently I had very high readings 183/110 at one reading, I think that made me technically dead? Readings this morning are finally normal but going to work on coming off pills. Sorry admin for going off topic, is there a forum for high blood pressure?

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
This times a hundred. My doctor tried her best to diagnose me with hypertension three years ago, but the 24h monitor revealed completely normal blood pressure. The funny thing is that to this day, the DN takes my blood pressure in the surgery and records high results on the system, despite acknowledging the existence of white coat syndrome, despite knowing that I exhibit it, and despite seeing the data from my own machine taken once per week every week.

My annual reviews are like paint-by-numbers. Godda tick those boxes! The only blood tests I'm interested in, they don't even do (and don't understand). It all just feels like a potential sales opportunity for pharmaceuticals and an excuse for getting a ticking-off because "...you know you can eat SOME sugar!!" :banghead:

Honestly it's getting increasingly pointless going. I may decline next year. Sorry for going off on a tangent, but amateur HCPs really wind me up.
Agreed Jim! The practice nurse this morning told me off for checking my BSL myself, said it was a waste of time and money! Little does she know that it was monitoring my levels reaction after food and keeping tabs on my own body that gave me the empowerment to bring my hba1c down to a normal level. Now they have reduced my Metformin by 50% they want to test again in a couple of months, maybe they are hoping my readings will have gone up?

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Hi sugarshy,
I agree with all the responses above, I can only envy your Hba1c figures.
So long as you don't experience Hypos (which you shouldn't with just metformin) then there is no reason for concern - just the opposite!

Your GP seems to be one of the many who doesn't like to see a patient get better without increased medication. The other thing this type of doctor does is tell patients on Insulin who reduce their BG by diet to eat more carbs so that they can still take the same amount of Insulin. Thus treating the problem food like a medication!

I have never taken Metformin and so don't know if you should reduce to 1 per day or not, but from what other responders say it appears this is more of a personal decision rather than a medical necessity.
Thanks Ian, metformin has many other health benefits and helps keep my weight down. I've already put on two pounds since my dose was cut. Time to go out walking in the rain!

M

Member496333

Agreed Jim! The practice nurse this morning told me off for checking my BSL myself, said it was a waste of time and money! Little does she know that it was monitoring my levels reaction after food and keeping tabs on my own body that gave me the empowerment to bring my hba1c down to a normal level. Now they have reduced my Metformin by 50% they want to test again in a couple of months, maybe they are hoping my readings will have gone up?

I'd have told her to mind her own business. In no uncertain terms :mad: