Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I don’t normally do brag posts but as i’ve had a period over the past few weeks of not getting into range as much as i’d like, have finally got a chart with 24 hours of ‘in range’ numbers, something that I think i’ll stick up on my wall to remind myself that it can be done..

Attachments

• 78346BF9-D5FA-483A-847D-173526535CC4.png
    78346BF9-D5FA-483A-847D-173526535CC4.png
    37 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: jackthejoker

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is soooo dark!
Grandson day, back still a pain, literally! Bloods good hurrah! Have a good wet day all.

Reactions: Manfer87

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Could I ask how does everyone speak to someone who is facing diabetes burn out? I don't really know what to say, I'm more of a partially honest, partially light hearted person and I know it's not a funny situation to be giggling in. But I rather the person didn't feel like it doom and gloom.

I sometimes think when people are having a hard time it’s best to just be there for them so they don’t feel alone and let them speak, sometimes all it takes is for someone to listen to help them realise what’s going on and see a way forward. With burnout it’s about coping every day rather than dealing with the t1 mountain which is over whelming.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, Forget driving and then cycling to work - it was more like canoeing (or rowing - just for you twin bro!) and swimming :hilarious: Need to get batteries for my bike lights though :woot:

BGs have been excellent since cartridge changes - 5.9 before tea/dinner/supper last night, 5.9 before bed and 4.9 this morning and 6.3 2 hrs after breakfast. We all know where this is heading.............:rolleyes:

Reactions: Marie 2

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning from a VERY soggy South Wales.....

Reactions: hh1

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Over an hour to drive 8 miles this morning. Clearly the council have not cleared drains.
Trains an meetings today, hope bloods behave.

Reactions: porl69 and Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning friends,

A bit of a wet morning and cold :( But yet here I am with iced coffee like it's summer. :hilarious: Blood glucose a bit high at 9.9, which isn't too bad for having pasta last night. Usually I sky rocket with pasta :grumpy:

Reactions: Juicyj and Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just remembered a conversation I had with himself which, maybe, you can help with.

He has a guy working for him who has type 1 diabetes which can be great because himself knows a lot through me but can be less good because he only knows about type 1 through me - a sample of 1.
This guy seems to manage his diabetes ok when he is at work (no hypos, etc.) but seems to have a lot of time off work due to diabetes "problems" - got up and BG too high, got up and BG too low, forgot to take basal insulin last night, took bolus instead of basal last night, ...
In all the time himself has known me, I have not taken any time off work due to diabetes problems.
But I am a bit of a freak of nature (what other adult tried on a hat for 4 to 8 year olds at the weekend and found it fitted perfectly?) so perhaps not the typical example of someone with type 1.

So, my question, is, excluding hospital appointments and when you were first diagnosed, how many days do take off work/school/uni/college each year due to diabetes problems?
I am definitely not judging (or boasting) - I am trying to get an idea of what is "normal".

Thanks.
Apart from when first diagnosed and just sorting myself out for a couple of weeks I think (and not in hospital) I've had no time off due to T1 in over 30 years. I've missed a couple of non-work things, like using bolus instead of basal just before setting off for a non-work meeting in the evening and not feeling I could chomp through the entire event (or how much to chomp either) but not for work. Do I detect that you may be thinking this person is using it as an excuse? And before brickbats are hurled, I know there are people who can't help but take time off quite legitimately due to T1 (and I feel for them, not good news) and that YDMV, I'm simply always concerned if there's a chance it's used as an excuse as it has the potential to reflect badly on any of us with T1

Reactions: Diakat

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes think when people are having a hard time it’s best to just be there for them so they don’t feel alone and let them speak, sometimes all it takes is for someone to listen to help them realise what’s going on and see a way forward. With burnout it’s about coping every day rather than dealing with the t1 mountain which is over whelming.
When I was going through burnout, I appreciated people who didn't speak to me like a robot - "do this, do that" because we are capable of knowing what needs doing. So when I encounter someone going through burnout, I don't tell them what to do, I tell them I'm here for them 100% of the way and they must attend all appointments if they want help or access to diabetes tech. (diabetes team don't bite, unless someone has a mean consultant which I did have when I was a kid. He was stone cold, he never smiled and he blamed my mum when I was in hospital several times for DKA.) Usually things like libre sensors makes them go "ohhhh I didn't know that, that sounds lovely to have".

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@MeiChanski I agree there’s nothing worse than telling someone who already knows what to do - how to go about things.

Good luck today :)

Reactions: MeiChanski

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My zombie self is rioting against getting pretty for the job interview. But ya girl gonna look 100% for Apple ;)

Good luck for your interview MeiChanski. Is your closest Birmingham or Leicester?

The Apple post-sale service is excellent, with the hot-swap system.

Reactions: MeiChanski
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Over an hour to drive 8 miles this morning. Clearly the council have not cleared drains.
Trains an meetings today, hope bloods behave.

Hi, the roads were treacherous this morning, huge puddles, back log of traffic, accidents too, so on the way back from school run, we went a different way.
Good luck with your bloods.

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck for your interview MeiChanski. Is your closest Birmingham or Leicester?

The Apple post-sale service is excellent, with the hot-swap system.
Thank you, I applied to the Apple store closest to my parents house. I didn’t close off all my options in London, I applied some near my bf’s house and some close to London.

Reactions: Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the interview went well, someone from HR interviewed me and she didn’t know about the medical side of things with Apple. Especially diabetes I said my favourite item from Apple is the phone because it is versatile to view most documents, watch videos, video chat with friends and family and most of all it scans my sensor to view my results. I even said I think dexcom and apple are doing something in the near future but apple are looking into health side of things and I am particularly interested in the non invasive testing :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh wow, I've updated my mac and dark theme looks very sexy. I know dark theme is not a new thing - google, youtube and discord has it, but on the mac, ooooooo very sexy.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........