Why can’t I sleep

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 , 29 years of age and through my 18years of diabetes I go through times where I just can not fall asleep last 2 nights I have not slept I’m exhausted but just can not fall asleep. I avoid looking at phone to not make it worse . It’s so frustrating I’m so tired .. anyone know anything as to why this may be or any experience with this ?
I do not want to take medication to help me sleep . I don’t want that to be the answer . Although I have on rare occasions resorted to a panadol night when I’m desperate which knocks me out .

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi ,I was 10.9 going to bed and stayed at 10 all through the night not majorly high though

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @sarahm723 Sorry to hear about your lack of sleep, that's not great. I can only make suggestions based, the fact that insomnia can be caused by many things, mostly it's an over active mind before bed, so settling into a routine of having a warm bath using a nice oil with lavender, avoiding alcohol, drinking camomile tea, reading a book and trying some meditation such as using the 'CALM' app on your phone might help ? I would also suggest seeing your GP to rule out anything else too, you're doing the right thing by ignoring your phone, you need at least an hour of no devices before bedtime to ensure a good sleep.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As Juicyj mentioned. I find the majority of the time it is from an over active mind and not generally associated with diabetes. Could be work/home stress. Some changes in personal life or environment etc. Although high/low blood glucose can obviously cause restless nights.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 1 , 29 years of age and through my 18years of diabetes I go through times where I just can not fall asleep last 2 nights I have not slept I’m exhausted but just can not fall asleep. I avoid looking at phone to not make it worse . It’s so frustrating I’m so tired .. anyone know anything as to why this may be or any experience with this ?
I do not want to take medication to help me sleep . I don’t want that to be the answer . Although I have on rare occasions resorted to a panadol night when I’m desperate which knocks me out .

Have you tried taking Melatonin?

My hubby and I have been taking Melatonin (sublingual 3 ml - cut into two to reduce the amount) since 1992.
I swear that it helps a lot with stress too! However, it is very important that you take only a small dosage - the people who first came up with this, suggested a little less than 1 ml.
We can't find anything with small dosage - the smallest dosage we can get is 3 ml.

Taking a large amount of it will eventually do the reverse.

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok thanks everyone . Some mentioned lullaby milk to me also

I try a lot of things but my mind tends to just think why am I not falling asleep
Will try these things
Thankyou

mouseee

I have radio dramas and comedies on with a timer so it's not in all night.

It stops my mind being busy and I fall asleep far more quickly than without!

bmtest

The good news is your tired so presume it's your mind that stopping you so what you have to do is to learn how to sleep again naturally.

- Ignore taking drugs or alchol to assist if you may rely on them
- dont sleep during day
- present yourself to bed and go through the motions of sleep at this stage it does not matter if you fall off or not but you have prepared and presented yourself for bed.
- Dont go to bed too early at 1st as it may increase stress by trying to hard to sleep.
- Use a ticking clock if needed for rythm
-Build up a few hours per night
- Tell your brain to say I have presented my self to bed it's upto my tired body to decide it wants to and who cares if I dont sleep
- Learn to relax and slow the mind s

When you try to sleep its impossible till you master it I can sleep anytime anywhere its a learned skill its a pain when I do it at the wheel though.

I learned at a young age from a mother that partied in the house alot and I had to be up for a milk round at 3am each day and the noise was loud but you learn to adapt.

There is a saying when the way comes to an end change and you will pass through.

Good Luck