Flu jab

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Its that time of year again and flu jab needed but which one are you given if you are over 65
Last year it was a special one but my bro has just had standard one last week

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its that time of year again and flu jab needed but which one are you given if you are over 65
Last year it was a special one but my bro has just had standard one last week

This year there is a different vaccine for unders and over 65s.

From memory, from the recent PPG meeting I attended, where the over-65's vaccine was slow arriving in surgeries last year, it is the other way around this year.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had mine last week, the muscle is still sore.
However, because of my circumstances, I was given the over 65s flu jab, despite my birthday being next year!
No apparent side effects, but I was warm over the weekend and my blood levels were slightly raised.

I believe there is a cut-off date for which flu jab someone gets!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I checked with my surgery yesterday, the first day for flu jabs will be 5th October but only for over 65's. They are expecting the vaccine the week before but they organise it as a special day with all the doctors and nurses giving injections and appointments every 2 minutes.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine on Monday at Boots, couldn't wait for my surgery to get their act together and I wanted the correct one for my age, the 4 in 1. Last year I should have had this but my surgery only gave the 3 in 1s. My Aunt's surgery did it properly with over 65s in one queue and under 65s in another.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I had mine this morning. I wasn't offered a choice. But being worried about needles is a thing of the past. I didn't even blink.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never knew there were two.
Can anyone satisfy my curiosity, what is the difference and why?
The two types for adults are quadravalent (4 strains of virus) or trivalent (3 strains of virus plus an adjuvant) the latter is given to over 65's as it is more effective for them. Why there can't be a version with 4 strains and an adjuvant I don't know.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes, I received a letter yesterday about it. I do want to know if the swelling has any impact on the libre sensor.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes, I received a letter yesterday about it. I do want to know if the swelling has any impact on the libre sensor.
Any swelling is localised to the injection site so presumably that would be on the opposite arm to your sensor.

D

Deleted member 308541

I do want to know if the swelling has any impact on the libre sensor.
I have never had my arm swell up with a quadrivalent fluvax, but when I had a zostavax a year ago that swelled up a bit but it was not painfull.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any swelling is localised to the injection site so presumably that would be on the opposite arm to your sensor.
I alternate arms with each sensor. But last year I had an angry red hot swollen arm for almost a week from the flu jab, so it will be interesting to try to time the jab with at least a week of sensor left.
Or I'll ask them to shoot the flu jab in my leg or bum or such.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I alternate arms with each sensor. But last year I had an angry red hot swollen arm for almost a week from the flu jab, so it will be interesting to try to time the jab with at least a week of sensor left.
Or I'll ask them to shoot the flu jab in my leg or bum or such.
A red hot swollen bum might be worse! I am feeling left out, I have never had any reaction at all.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A red hot swollen bum might be worse! I am feeling left out, I have never had any reaction at all.
I'll wisely leave this forum in peace for the rest of today, as I'm having very off topic thoughts of babboons now.
And I'll think twice about where to get my flu shot now, thanks!

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
They found the usual one was not very effective for us oldies and developed a special one to give us more protection

Reactions: slikwipman

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi helensarmy,
I see that borderter has already given you the short version.
There are 3 factors here in deciding which is the best Flu jab for which segments of the population:

1. Which general types of flu strains are anticipated to be most common.
2. Those who have never lived though an epidemic of a major type of flu are more at risk from it than those who have. Since the ones who have lived through it (even if they didn't catch it) probably had some exposure to it so their immune system should be well primed to fight it.
3. Older people generally have weaker immune systems.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you swell up it means you already have some immunity to at least one of the strains of flu in the jab, no swelling = no immunity

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tried to make my appointment this morning, but over 65s only. Then I’m on holiday end October beginning November and they were not making appointments for November yet. As I’m also away end November beginning of December it could be fun getting one.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Tried to make my appointment this morning, but over 65s only. Then I’m on holiday end October beginning November and they were not making appointments for November yet. As I’m also away end November beginning of December it could be fun getting one.

Does your surgery not do a Saturday morning where you just turn up