Why continuous glucose monitors do not access blood?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why continuous glucose monitors do not access blood?

Why they work on interstitial fluid only and not capillary blood?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Will be interested in any answers to your question @Rabdos . I'm quite glad the cannula on my Libre isn't long enough to draw capillary blood (ouch!).
I've found that there is only about a 1mmol difference beween a finger prick result and an interstitial reading.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Easier to just stick it in than have to find (and keep contact with) a blood vessel?

There are posts by people who have hit real blood.
Some had to remove the sensor because of the flow, others said that it seemed to read better.

Reactions: porl69

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
While they do occasionally hit a small blood vessel, it would be impossible to get one every time. And if clots form around the filament, the reading wouldn’t be accurate.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
As a guess, because blood clots. When I have a cannula into a vein, after about half an hour the blood in the tubing has turned into a jelly-like 'worm', which would be useless for testing.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay I thought they had already solved the clotting challenge as we are implanting pacemakers and other devices without risk (not sure if you need to take blood thinners for life though).

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Okay I thought they had already solved the clotting challenge as we are implanting pacemakers and other devices without risk (not sure if you need to take blood thinners for life though).
No you don't.