Savoury Oatmeal

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today for breakfast, I made garlic fried oatmeal topped with a couple of fried eggs.
It was inspired by Cameron Diaz' savoury oatmeal.
The result was a satisfying and quite filling dish that can be quite versatile, as far as recipes go.

I intentionally planned it for breakfast (since I don't know how it will affect my bg). At least, my morning exercise could help keep the bg to not spike too high, just in case. This is the basic recipe.

GARLIC FRIED OATMEAL

2 cloves garlic - crushed and finely chopped
1/2 cup uncooked large flakes rolled oats
1/2 cup water
Butter
Salt to taste

Melt butter in a non-stick skillet. Add the garlic and cook until lightly golden.
Add the oats, and toss it in the skillet - lightly toasting it.
Add the water and salt. Keep stirring it around. Cook it to the texture that you prefer.
I don't like it mushy, preferring a slight chewiness to it, thus I only used 1/2 water.
Add a little more water, if needed.

This produced about 1 cup cooked oatmeal. I couldn't finish it - ate only half.
Along with the eggs, it didn't take long to fill me up. A good thing though, I've got the leftover sitting in the fridge to see if it can be stored like rice, how storing it in the fridge would affect it.

This makes for a very healthy side-dish, in lieu of rice.

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/oatmeal-cooked-regular

(Note: next time, I'll also fry onions, and add soya sauce with lemon juice.)

Last edited:

RuWo

I posted a question under the Type 1 area a little while ago asking what people had for breakfast - this looks really tasty, id like to know how it will affect your BG.

Reactions: angustia

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted a question under the Type 1 area a little while ago asking what people had for breakfast - this looks really tasty, id like to know how it will affect your BG.

My bg was quite low! 6.4!

I have to point out too that I had my breakfast an hour earlier today than usual.
This will be my new breakfast time as I only had 1/4 cup of homo milk before bedtime last night.

My before meal rate this morning was 5.9.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone has a recipe for savoury oats, please share them here.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @angustia - how do you control your diabetes ?

@RuWo Oats are something I would avoid as an insulin dependent diabetic as these would make my levels sky rocket if I ate these for breakfast, each diabetic copes differently with their carb tolerances.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My bg was quite low! 6.4!

I have to point out too that I had my breakfast an hour earlier today than usual.
This will be my new breakfast time as I only had 1/4 cup of homo milk before bedtime last night.

My before meal rate this morning was 5.9.
May I ask what your pre meal reading was, is the 6.4 after 2 hours and will you be taking further readings?

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @angustia - how do you control your diabetes ?

I'm newly diagnosed type 2 (first week of Sep) - I'm still trying to learn what foods are friendly
to me. At least I know that oats for breakfast is okay (before my exercise). My exercise a few minutes after breakfast may be the factor why it's okay. I'll have to see if it's okay in any other times as well.

I make a log of my bg readings (and I make a compilation of meals that are below 7.0 mmol.)
My future menu-planning will gravitate around those.

My next aic appointment is around the middle of Nov (doctor's appointment on the first week of Dec).

Last edited:

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask what your pre meal reading was, is the 6.4 after 2 hours and will you be taking further readings?

My pre-meal reading (after i woke up) was 5.9. The 6.4 was after the breakfast (2 hours), and also after the 30 minutes exercise.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can eat oats and not spike - possibly due to exercising afterwards, then you are lucky - many type twos would see high BG levels. If you ever cannot exercise I strongly recommend a switch to something with fewer carbs.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Btw, I'm still following a low-carb diet. Once I've reached the desired weight, I'd have to know up to what limit I can have without gaining weight - and still substituting better alternatives.
But, definitely - no more sugary stuff for me.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Btw, I'm still following a low-carb diet. Once I've reached the desired weight, I'd have to know up to what limit I can have without gaining weight - and still substituting better alternatives.
Sounds like you are doing good .We can never go on what others can or can't eat because we are all different people we have to find what suits us personally just as you are doing so well done

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s different for everyone. You could of course add fats ot protein rather than carbs to maintain your weight and bgl

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s different for everyone. You could of course add fats ot protein rather than carbs to maintain your weight and bgl

Too much protein can spike me. I've got to figure out how much is too much.

I figured, if I'm going to be on something for life - I've got to be realistic to find something that I can stick to for life, yet at the same time still maintain a healthy diet!
For life - I can't do it with very, very low carbs.

I haven't really kept noted exactly how much carbs I eat in a day, but I suspect it's between
30 - 50 gms (mostly from veggies). I can do that!

With me, what helps well is more physical activities. I've got to keep moving!

Also, I've always been a regular person with my bowel movement. Imho, as I get older, I better make sure all the pipes are working well.

Last edited: