Fed up with being discriminated against...

fed-up

HI to all...I do hope that this post doesn't come across depressingly negative, although it most probably will..I hope that you haven't had to deal with this..

I was diagnosed 5 years ago while in the RAF with type 1 diabetes..Overnight I lost my position in management within my squadron, was stripped of my heavy goods license, had to apply for a 3 yr renewable car license. If that wasn't enough, 18mths later I then lost my job within the RAF because I was 'forbidden' to even fly as a passenger on a military transport aircraft because I 'may' have a hypo...(some people are just so uneducated in the medical profession)

The job that I had done for 24years, left me virtually feeling like I had some 'dirty,contagious' disease..No one supported me in the workplace at all, I was called a skivver because I had to go to the hospital for regular checkups...mainly because I had lost so much weight very quickly and had an ear problem that effected my balance..Not withstanding this, I was a 'skivver'

I looked to Diabetes UK for some answers, I found some but what really dissapointed me was the fact that the magazine never addressed peoples concerns with such huge loses..It was all 'Ive got diabetes and life is now great'. It never talked or tried to help people really come to terms with the loses to either, jobs ,lifestyle, depression..It was viewed through 'rose tinted glasses'. These peoples stories were simply airbrushed out of the magazine. I simply couldn't relate to anyone in the magazine, for me it never conveyed a true all encompassing image of this disease.

I have now just seen that once again further legislation is now deeming people like myself as 'dangers' to civilisation, with even more unwarranted restrictions to driving....
I ask myself this everyday.

1. Why is it that someone who kills someone in a car accident can get their license back and hold a HGV without further check ups or indeed be banned for life??
2. Why is it that a drink/drug driver can get his license back and not be banned for life?
3.Why is it that someone who has been banned from accumalating excess points on their license for a multitude of wrong doing can get their licenses back without any further checks??

Are these people better than me?? They certainly are not.
I have never ever had an accident, I take meticulous care of myself, test 4-6 times a day EVERYDAY, yet I am once again tarred with the same brush?? Why??

I am fed up with this condition as it is, I have re-adjusted my life for all the things that I have already lost, ie, career, promtion, future earnings...Yet out of the magicians hat pops up yet more discriminating legislation..... Just how many more hoops do I have to jump through ???
Hospital once a year, my doctor 2 times a year blood tests, checkups. Retinopathy test 1 time a year.

WHERE WILL IT END

leyland

Hey there,

So sorry for what you've been through - it sucks not to be treated as an individual with diabetes as opposed to a 'diabetic'.

If its any consolation, I lost my PCV/HGV licence and job after a Type 1 diagnosis five years ago. The good news is that the Government are overturning the blanket ban on insulin-users and Group 2 licences this October. You need to show three months worth of 'good blood glucose control' and have no complications, etc. I for one will be applying for my licences and hope to be back driving buses by Christmas.

Perhaps you could look towards regaining your HGV licence?? Its a small compensation for your loss, I know, but it is something.

xx

fed-up

Hey Leyland,
Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the advice. I will certainly keep my eye on this development. It would open up so many job opportunities for me, that is for sure...
I just don't understand why everyone who is diabetic gets tarred with the same brush, yet others,who do flout the law can simply reapply, re-test and go on with life as normal. When it comes to driving this attitude disgusts me frankly, demonises people who DO take care of themselves at the expense of others who blatantly don't...

I will try to get my HGV license back but I won't hold my breath..

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Fed up with being discriminated against

So am I

I will swap places if you want :?:

Discriminated against You don't know the half of it

Is he OK to come in here ? We dont want him upsetting out other costomers (restaurant)
He should not expect to come out in the electric wheelchair (taxi driver)
why do people like that even bother to come out (member public)
We don't have a ramps or any toilets so he cant come in (PUB)
You will have to leave your are a fire hazard (Jobcenter)
Can you stop him touching the laptops (Currys )
**** Spas should not be allowed on the bus (Bus Driver)
Sponging of the state people like should be gassed (member public)
Ramps stolen
Always talked as the 3rd person no eye contact
Pushed out the way for disabled toilets,, Mums with Pushchairs
limited assess most places for wheelchair
Have to give 24hrs notice if i want to travel by train
Not all buses have ramps
Coach travel very limited still Small number of coaches with wheelchair Access
Limited wheelchair taxis then always booked for school runs no chance from 8<>9 3<>4

In only 18 months in I have had it all and I expect more to come

All from a simple fall down stairs

I have lost Everything My Job MY Driving License ,Use of my legs use one arm My Independence
I cant go out the house without Help from Carers
Cant even wipe my own backside wash bath eat with out help
Only way i can pee is via a tube i have to ram up my little man :evil:
8<>times a day
I am in 24/7 Chronic pain and off with the fairies with the drugs half the time
sitting here most of my time with pressure sores on my backside.
I been told to put my affairs in order :?
Ow and keep having to prove to the @~# DWP that i am still Disabled
Drivers parking halfway on the pavement blocking my assess
Ow forgot to say I am also diabetic

You have two legs two arms and the rest of your life a Driving License for a car
Bet you have a service pension coming your way as well

Pick yourself up and start living

I have to

[youtube]k3AeIFup1qY[/youtube]

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, you certainly have put an alternative perspective on this thread.

I'm sorry to hear of all these examples, Bowell. It emphasises to me how no-one can really appreciate something unless one has experienced it.

I wish you both well. Each of you have considerable problems.

bowell

Dislikes
There is always someone worse off than you
I have been lucky to meet some of them,Just as i think things are bad I meet someone else and wonder how the hell they cope :shock: Then I get to know the person not the disability

I have made few good disabled friends from just sitting in the clinics seeing them every visit
As your old ones have a hard time understanding your problems even your own family can find it hard
Does that sound familiar :wink:

Only way out is to find alternate way of doing things , or Sue the pants off them :mrgreen:

Onward and upwards

Bob

hallii

I learned a long time ago when I was working (Ahhh! how I don't miss that) that having a demanding job and another (not diabetes) condition that it was far easier to say nothing.

For many years I would quietly slip away until I was "back to normal". If anyone had suspicions they certainly never said anything.

H

stabatha

Yes there is always someone worse off than yourself but I dont think it helps the less worse off feel any better about themselves as their problems are very real too and their problems and feelings are not going to dissapear just because they know someone else has it worse. The reality is, that even with all these laws we are still discriminated against :( some more than others. I have type 1 and my husband is in a wheelchair due to cerebal palsy and we have often found things very hard due to others comments, ignorance and found getting out and about very hard at times (too many episodes to list ) I too only seem to read about the good things and how it doesn't have to affect our lives, but the truth is it does , some a lot more than others. the magazines need to stop looking at it through rose tinted glasses, I know they want people that encourage others to live a more normal life but the reality is that some find it very hard to cope with for whatever personal reasons. I dont personally think it will ever change so we just have to put up with it i supose :(

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
bowell said:
Fed up with being discriminated against

So am I

I will swap places if you want :?:

Discriminated against You don't know the half of it

An inspirational post Bob, you have clearly chosen not to be a victim
clap.gif

As for your other post saying you can always find someone else worse off than you, I agree with you 100% its not always easy but it's usually true :D

bowell

Dislikes
I don't think it helps the less worse off feel any better about themselves as their problems are very real too and their problems and feelings are not going to dissapear just because they know someone else has it worse.

Very True

I also believe we all need a kick up the bottom sometimes Including Me
to push us out of or falling too far into that nasty deep pit of depression
and or self pity.Talking to others like me or lot worse off than me,
saying you really do need a realty check sometimes

I wish i could go to work ,I have come to terms that will never happen :?

I don't wish the OP any ill will at all
Just to re think all the good things You have going for you

Able bodied ,a license to drive car
Obversely an intelligent person , holding a management position within the RAF
Doesn't the RAF give you a retaining package when you leave the service like the Army ?
and a Services Pension with the option taking a lump sum ?

I dont personally think it will ever change so we just have to put up with it i supose :(

I Sue them now You can via small claims court last one ,Was a bus company :wink:

Discrimination will only be stopped with Laws , You will never stamp it all out

Bob

fed-up

''Bowell' Yes I do have a service pension, THANK GOD!!! Everyone has a choice in life as to what they can do or job they choose to do, I choose the RAF and loved every minute of it...So please tone down your observation towards my pension. I'm NOT lucky to have it, I worked my ass off everyday I was in the Service. It's certainly nothing like you read about in the 'Sun' or 'Daily Mail', please follow up and investigate what some of us REALLY get...I worked myself into the ground and then was called a skivver and a burden when eventually I became ill. For all the PC rubbish that is spouted by our liberal friends/officers, in reality they couldn't give 2 hoots about you. You are merely a number.

My own lifestyle didn't even come in to it as I was extremely fit and didn't abuse my body. Unlike many I see with diabetes who can't walk pass a cake shop or fast food place without filling there mouths with rubbish

'BowellI' - I worked and sacrificed A LOT in 24yrs, if it wasn't for THE pension (that some are so envious of!!!) I just don't know where i would be...As for re-training package only £1000 was for training. Wow £1000, yes I was fortuanate to be given this, some companies give nothing. Other do. My job doesn't equate to anything in civvy street!!!

For all those, who by the sound of it, begrudge my pension, remember, while some of you, (not all of you) were enjoying yourselves with every weekend off, holidays, working 9-5 etc some of us were in war zones or on major operations. I had NO holidays for 8 years, YES 8 years..I had little time off, due to continual manpower shortages..

What I do know is that it doesn't matter how injured, ill you are in the Services, it is CHEAPER to pension you off instead of employing someone else or indeed changing rules to comply...I have lost count of how many times H+S was breached....The facts speak for themselves....An aircraft (VC10) that is still in service today breaches EVERY H+S rule there is...Has the RAF stopped using this A/C?? No.. Has it adjusted it's working procedures?? Yes. BUT if you comply then there is no way in this world the job would EVER get done!!! Fairy land rules for covering only...

'Bowell' - Don't begrudge my pension - My sacrifices for 24 years were a lot more than many people can ever dream of..As for a personal life, what was that??? Never had one as i was literally on duty or standby 24hrs a day EVERY DAY!!!!

Yes you do have problems, we all have problems, mine are the frustrations I face and am fed up with it..My gripe is the loss of opportunities when in fact my diabetes never gets in the way of my work or life, as soon as I open my gob 'I'm a diabetic,' well I needn't of turned up for the interview....

Feel sorry for you pal, I don't hesitate in correcting neaderthals that think they know it all.
Just fed up with stupid legislation impeding me from getting a reasonable job that pays me to live....As I said THANK GOD for my pension

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Firstly, I'm very sympathetic to the discrimination you've faced. You've put yourself on the line for you country, and they (we) should be willing to make adjustments for your diabetes.

But...

fed-up said:
My own lifestyle didn't even come in to it as I was extremely fit and didn't abuse my body. Unlike many I see with diabetes who can't walk pass a cake shop or fast food place without filling there mouths with rubbish

...is a bit harsh isn't it?

You can't come on here complaining that you've been discriminated against, and then start perpetuating the myth that some diabetics have made themselves ill through "cakes" and "fast food". Not only is this offensive, but it's also very wrong, I suggest that you do some reading about the causes of obesity and T2 diabetes. Gary Taubes would be a good place to start.

fed-up said:
For all those, who by the sound of it, begrudge my pension, remember, while some of you, (not all of you) were enjoying yourselves with every weekend off, holidays, working 9-5 etc some of us were in war zones or on major operations. I had NO holidays for 8 years, YES 8 years..I had little time off, due to continual manpower shortages.

Last time I checked, we don't have conscription is this country, (I don't read the Daily Mail, so I might have missed something here), so I'm guessing that no-one forced you to sign up for that lifestyle.

fed-up

Borofergie

You miss my point completely...Conscription????

...As for obesity, yes I do see it the majority of time s I go to the clinic..FACT...(I'm not sterotyping ALL)..
I do tend to talk to others I encounter, in the clinic, hospital etc, that may surprise you, invariably their condition has been brought on by lifestyle choice....Perhaps this does make me a bit angry as I am totally the opposite..

The vast majority, yes the vast majority even admit they CANNOT change their lifestyles and just carry on as before....On my last visit a woman freely admitted "I can't walk past a cakeshop without going in". Another, a rugby player thought nothing of drinking all weekend and not using his insulin correctly...So yes, my perception from others I have encountered is correct, but, as I said not in every case..

fed-up

Borofergie

Just read your reply again..

I standby by what I have written, the few who do not or refuse to adjust make the rest of us have problems and the jumping through government hoops even more difficult. Like it or not, it's not harsh it's what I see, read about, or indeed have witnessed first hand...)(likewise I totally sympathise with others who have been extremely unfortunate to have this condition through no fault of there own, me included)

I don't mean to come across obtuse, aggressive or even moralistic, it's simply from my own experiences..Others like yourself are indeed probably different and obviously have a different take on the subject.

Since having this illness I have found a lack of support locally, only very recently was i indeed introduced to a group to chat, it's helped a lot..I found the Diabetic UK magazine slanted with views in every edition that no way related to me, so stopped buying it. Others in the group agreed that the magazine DIDN'T reflect true life

bowell

Dislikes
I don't begrudge you your pension at all it was part and parcel of your job you earned it
good on you
And I know you will not get much financial help from the system
Just because you have that service pension :?

Just saying you need to look at the good things you Have in your hands
Always better to look what you have ,than what you don't have or lost
Otherwise you will drive yourself into deeper depression

friends/officers, in reality they couldn't give 2 hoots about you. You are merely a number.
Its Just the same out here in Civvy street
The one thing I have learned in this life is,The only one that looks after number one is YOU

Chill out or you will only blow a gasket

My sons just been laid off after his apprenticeship with 50 others
No chance of finding a job around here until things pick up

Just think Diabetes is just one of a very few chronic conditions you can control ,if you wish to

Bob

Danlor

Fed Up - I'm in the Army, in Afghanistan with T2. I have had T2 for 10 years and I have been in the services for 34 years and well cared for.

Unbeliever

Posters should be able to vent if hey wish. Someimes it helps just to be able to do so wih others who understand the condition.

I otally agree with he poster about DUK. Totally out of ouch. I didn't want o run the Three Peaks Race before I was diagnosed. It would have been beyond me then as i still is . I am not convinced that etreme eercise is gooodfor anyone. Nor do I wish o go caming in inhospitable parts of the world. Might be fine for some but probably irresponsible for most. It reminds me of the disabled servicemen whom we see on TV all he ime. I am sure some of hem are helped by doing these things but its not a lokgterm solution is it.
I too take issue with "fec0up" about his comments regasrding oher diabeics . I speak as a slim T" suffering complications because my bg was reduced oo quick;y.

If people eat more than they should or is goof for them there are usually reasons for his. Depression for eample or the disease itself. IIt makes me ery angry when I hear T2s speaking as if they are somehow superior to T"s because "I's no heir fault". Iys not my fault either and probably not anyone's fault. As someone said above you can't complain about discrimination and hem make discriminatory comments yourself.

There is a great deal more to be learned about diabetes and in the meantime it doesn't help if hose wih he condition just accept the government propaganda.

I hope you soon feel beter fed-up We have all been there and it is very bad . I am sure you will find a way out of his feeling yourself .. At the lpwest point it doesn't help to reflect hat there are others worse off han yourself but comewhere along the line tha does kick in.

I am sure you know this - you must have had colleagues who didn't return from active service or who reurned in a condition where deah migh have been preferable.

Everyone's problems are complex .and difficul to eplain o strangers. I can tell you from my own experience that eaing almost nothing can acually cause your blood sugar to rise and some medications can make you so ravenous you don' even know that you are eating. It is so much more complicated than the amount you eat or the makeup of your diet.

I am glad he support group helps.