Newly diagnosed and very confused

Angengray

Hello everyone. My name is Ange and I am type 2 taking metformin 3 times daily. Dr says I'm doing great hba1c 5.6 at last check. This is 3 months down the line. A stone and a half lighter so some positives. Struggling with what to eat in general. I have been on a 4 hour course but have done most of my reading up online. I'm struggling real bad as I suffer with gout arthritis and the foods I'm eating for my diabetes are sometimes worsening my uric acid levels so I going round in a bit of a vicious circle. Please can anyone advise things like how many carbs I'm supposed to have in one meal and snacks and anything to help me along :) open to any support I can get xxx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum. First let me post a link to our useful info post:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Well done on the weight loss and improvement in HbA1c you’ve reached so far. What carb level you need to achieve to control your diabetes is a personal thing. The way to find a good level for yourself is to test before and after each meal to see how different foods affect you. We can help with the most cost effective meters if you don’t have one.
Personally I started with keeping under 100g carbs/day and gradually reduced and settled on eating between 30 - 50g per day, this keeps my HbA1cs at non diabetic levels.
Here’s a link to Diet Dr info on Low Carb eating:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
I’m sorry I don’t know about diets suitable for gout, so I hope someone else will come along to help with that for you.
Edit to add:
PS I also take 3 x Metformin/day

Reactions: Angengray

Angengray

Just one other thing I haven't drank alcohol in 6 months and had a small glass of red wine I'm hoping this is ok alongside metformin?? :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just one other thing I haven't drank alcohol in 6 months and had a small glass of red wine I'm hoping this is ok alongside metformin?? :)

I’m virtually tee total, I was before my diabetes diagnosis, my alcohol indulgence amounts to 1/2 glass of bubbly on New Year’s Eve! However here’s an article about Metformin and alcohol. Many here do drink with Metformin but moderation is required I gather but an odd drink here and there is ok, just be aware of the risks:
https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/metformin-alcohol

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hello everyone. My name is Ange and I am type 2 taking metformin 3 times daily. Dr says I'm doing great hba1c 5.6 at last check. This is 3 months down the line. A stone and a half lighter so some positives. Struggling with what to eat in general. I have been on a 4 hour course but have done most of my reading up online. I'm struggling real bad as I suffer with gout arthritis and the foods I'm eating for my diabetes are sometimes worsening my uric acid levels so I going round in a bit of a vicious circle. Please can anyone advise things like how many carbs I'm supposed to have in one meal and snacks and anything to help me along :) open to any support I can get xxx
Hi @Angengray and welcome to a great place. It souds as though you know what you're doing, but this might help: https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/44690Pgout.pdf
I hope you get this sorted quickly as it is excruciating.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have definitely come to the right place for support and advice.

Congratulations on you hba1c result!

I am also on metformin. I do drink alcohol- not a lot but probably a couple every week. You need to be aware on the carbs in what you drink- a suspect a dry red wine would be okay. I figure this is for life so you need to find things that can make it that bit easier.

Welcome.