Driving - Type 2

Trudy

Hi All
Am in a bit of a state of panic/frustration/despair - not quite sure what the right emotion is to be honest!

I have been Type 2 diagnosed since 1998, initially on diet only, then diet and oral meds - at which point I notified DVLA that I had been diagnosed and have a letter from them at home basically saying thank you for letting them know and to let them know of any change to my condition.

I have been on Exanatide, Met and Glic for the last two years, and over the last few months my control has slowly been slipping. Talking to my consultant last time I saw him he is of the opinion from research he's seen that Exanatide - whilst hailed as a real problem solver - is beginning to show that after a couple of years the improvements cannot be held.

Anyway - to cut a long story short he gave me 6 months to try and get the control tighter again, which will run out in October when I go to see him again. My levels, though not dangerously high, are prone to real 'highs' at times, and I know that inevitably the conversation is going to move to the subject of insulin when I next go in.

I don't have a major problem with this, I understand diabetes is degenerative BUT:

What I do have a problem with is the possibility of losing my driving licence. My partner, nor his parents nor sister drive, I live away from where I work with no suitable alternative public transport and have driven since the age of 17 - I really don't remember a time when I DIDN't drive.

I have never had a hypo when driving and am really careful about my levels before and while I am travelling - however I have read several 'horror' stories recently about seemingly arbitrary decisions by DVLA regarding Type2 II insulin dependent drivers and their licences.

I am already having sleepless nights over this and I haven't even been confirmed to going onto insulin yet!!!!!!!!!! My stress eczema is playing up, and I find myself in tears over it.

I suppose what I am asking is for some 'hard' evidence from anyone who has had to make this transition as to how DVLA deal with this and whether it is, indeed, as arbitrary as it seems?

Would be grateful for any comments.
many thanks
Trudy

Grazer

I don't know the answer I'm afraid, but the DVLA website is quite good, easy to use and has a contact us bit. Why don't you ask them Hypothetically what the situation would be for a type 2 on Insulin? At least then you'd know and could start to deal with it.
The reality is hardly ever as bad as the imaginings, so cheer up.
Good luck
Malc

ClaireG 06

I'm a type 2 on insulin and havn't had my license taken away :D I havn't had a hypo though. I informed DVLA and have been issued with a 3 year license.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm on insulin and drive, you license will be medically restricted and need renewing every 3 years

You also will not be able to drive anything over 3.5 tons, so just standard cars!

Nothing much to worry about

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
My mother is on insulin and has her licence, needs renewing every 3 years. But it's renewed free of charge, so unlike normal photo licence holders who have to pay to renew the photo every 10 years you're quids in! (If there's a positive I'll find it!)

Felly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not 100% sure about type 2 but as a type 1 diabetic on a insulin pump I've not had any problems with the DVLA. Just have to renew the license (for free) every 3 years. You can drive up to 3.5 tonne (total wieght of vehicle, including any towing) and can tow up to half the wieght of the car. If you wnat to move up to 7.5 tonne you have to do an aditional test and be in greater controll of your diabetes, I have heard that the DVLA can get a bit funny when you want to move up size.

Hope this helps.

grh1904

I too was in the same position as you and did have a problem with the DVLA, but not in a way that I lost my licence. Like others I'm on a 3 year licence.

My problem was that the DVLA automatically took away my C1 & D1 entitlement. When I queried this & asked to appeal the decision I was met with a bit of a stonewall. I was told that I wasn't allowed to drive mini-bus inacase I crashed, and if anyone died it would (and I quote the person on the other end of the phone) "AUTOMATICALLY BE YOUR FAULT AS YOU'RE A DIABETIC".

I pointed out that it could be the other drivers fault, only to be told "NO, IT WOULD BE YOURS".

After some arguments later I lost my rag a bit & pointed out that as a Police officer I could be called to attend such an accident, so what could person on the other end of the phone do/say to convince me that despite all the evidence pointing to a diabetic driver NOT being the cause & that the other driver is, whay would it be the fault of the diabetic.

After some yearh, but, no but, yearh but, the answer was that I'd have to sue the governemnt and "no one ever beats the government do they??".

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you have good control & can demonstrate good control then you just need to re-new every 3 years.