High Bs

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Not been here for a while as fallen of the wagon so to speak but just needing some advice and really need to get my sugars under control.. they have always been in the 6s and 7s and tonight i checked after my tea amd only had veg soup it was 11 2 hours later.. so 3 hours later its still 10..do i needi need be concerned about this as never been so high .. thanks x

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was in the veg soup?
It was a ready meal pack of diced carrots and suede and thats it .. usually i am back down after 3 hours if i spike but not today . Just concerned about my high number and it not moving

Hotpepper20000

Root vegetables are pretty high in carbs, and for many type 2 diabetics would spike blood sugars.
The amount of time it takes for you blood sugars depends on many factors.
Fat in a meal delays spikes. How much you are moving. And your personal body chemistry.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Root vegetables are pretty high in carbs, and for many type 2 diabetics would spike blood sugars.
The amount of time it takes for you blood sugars depends on many factors.
Fat in a meal delays spikes. How much you are moving. And your personal body chemistry.
Probably explains why it hasn't come down quicker then as i am currently on weight watchers plan so theres no fat on that . . May have to reconsider my weight loss plan . Thankyou for your advice . Love this site . It helped me so much last time x

Hotpepper20000

Probably explains why it hasn't come down quicker then as i am currently on weight watchers plan so theres no fat on that . . May have to reconsider my weight loss plan . Thankyou for your advice . Love this site . It helped me so much last time x
I lost 60 pounds eating fat, protein and only above ground vegetables, with out being hungry.
Eating fat does not make you fat unless you eat too many carbs.

Reactions: maxjoe121

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost 60 pounds eating fat, protein and only above ground vegetables, with out being hungry.
Eating fat does not make you fat unless you eat too many carbs.
Ive just blumming joined aswell.. suppose i can go and adapt any foods with low carb high fat on those .. what about a low carb and lower fat foods.. its all about low fat on ww

Hotpepper20000

Ive just blumming joined aswell.. suppose i can go and adapt any foods with low carb high fat on those .. what about a low carb and lower fat foods.. its all about low fat on ww
Low fat would make me hungry.
The reason for higher fat is to keep you full and fat will not spike your BG.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi. Not been here for a while as fallen of the wagon so to speak but just needing some advice and really need to get my sugars under control.. they have always been in the 6s and 7s and tonight i checked after my tea amd only had veg soup it was 11 2 hours later.. so 3 hours later its still 10..do i needi need be concerned about this as never been so high .. thanks x

Hi maxjoe121,
Some Type 2's can tolerate a certain amount of root veg such as carrot, swede, turnip, parsnip and some (like me) can't tolerate any without a nasty BG spike. Heck some can even tolerate small amounts of either normal or sweet potato.

In another thread you say that you switched from LCHF to Weigh Watchers.
Would you have eaten as many carbs in a single meal if you were still doing LCHF, I suspect not! So what makes you think that you can eat them with impunity now ?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi maxjoe121,
I'm puzzled. In the other thread you said that you did LCHF in the past. Didn't you lose weight on that - most people do even if that isn't their intention. I lost 22lbs in 4 months with no conscious calorie restriction and no additional exercise.

Or did you give up LCHF because of being vegetarian / vegan?
I think being vegetarian is a noble ambition (be kind to animals. save the planet etc.). However I am too selfish for that, so I put my own health before my principles so even if I managed to give up meat I would still probably eat fish (or Krill Oil and krill aren't vegetables) and probably dairy too!

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No i didnt switch from one to the other instantly.. as i said earlier i just didnt consciously monitor my food fir a few years... i did lose a little weight on LCHF and got my BS down . I joined ww as i need a group to physically interact with and share . Just wanted some advice on here . I did used to eat root veg apart from potatoes before yes . It didn't used to spike my BS as much as it has today..
Hi maxjoe121,
Some Type 2's can tolerate a certain amount of root veg such as carrot, swede, turnip, parsnip and some (like me) can't tolerate any without a nasty BG spike. Heck some can even tolerate small amounts of either normal or sweet potato.

In another thread you say that you switched from LCHF to Weigh Watchers.
Would you have eaten as many carbs in a single meal if you were still doing LCHF, I suspect not! So what makes you think that you can eat them with impunity now ?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Fat works as an appetite suppressant as it keeps us full for longer. It slows down digestion. So fatty proteins are both filling, good for our muscles to generate heat and good circulation.
A fatty protein can stop my bgs rising.
I finish my meal with a protein to cap any unwanted rises.
Opposite to a sweet after a meal. Cheese or nuts or a high protein small yogart.

Gosh this talk of food is making me hungry. Not for a sweet but I like red Leicester cubes. Not too many though. Toddler portion works well for me with no crackers but protein bread toasted well is a good substitute for crackers.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat works as an appetite suppressant as it keeps us full for longer. It slows down digestion. So fatty proteins are both filling, good for our muscles to generate heat and good circulation.
A fatty protein can stop my bgs rising.
I finish my meal with a protein to cap any unwanted rises.
Opposite to a sweet after a meal. Cheese or nuts or a high protein small yogart.

Gosh this talk of food is making me hungry. Not for a sweet but I like red Leicester cubes. Not too many though. Toddler portion works well for me with no crackers but protein bread toasted well is a good substitute for crackers.
Thankyou

Reactions: ickihun

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a ready meal pack of diced carrots and suede and thats it .. usually i am back down after 3 hours if i spike but not today . Just concerned about my high number and it not moving

Hi. If it was a bought soup, do you still have to packet/carton? The carbs are in the back. If not the info will be online under nutritional info on the supermarket website. It may give you a clearer picture as to exactly how many carbs tipped you over the edge.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. If it was a bought soup, do you still have to packet/carton? The carbs are in the back. If not the info will be online under nutritional info on the supermarket website. It may give you a clearer picture as to exactly how many carbs tipped you over the edge.
Thankyou.. better observation next time i think

ShortStuff

I’m T2, when my insulin resistance was better I could tolerate carrots (& hommous) but seemingly not at the moment! I tolerate ice cream better right now. (It’s not something I usually eat, but did on holiday.). I miss carrots so I periodically eat & test.

How about LCHF with people on here or other sites instead of WW? Would that work for you?