Butternut squash

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi was thinking of making a butternut squash soup .. is this high carb . Sorry newbie here after being away for few years .. thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s not just quite high in carbs but pulverising veggies (or fruits) for soups or smoothies makes them much quicker to digest and creates a quicker possibly higher spike.

Reactions: maxjoe121

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not just quite high in carbs but pulverising veggies (or fruits) for soups or smoothies makes them much quicker to digest and creates a quicker possibly higher spike.
Thanks probably why i had a spike tonight with veg soup

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi maxjoe,
Making carbohydrates easier/quicker to digest raises their Glycemic Index.
There is some dispute about it, because for some the GI matters and for others it doesn't matter so much, if at all. But their is a thing called Glycemic Load which attempts to combine the total quantity of carbs in a meal with their Glycemic Index in order to get a single number which represents the effect on Blood Glucose.

For me personally, that Glycemic Load id immaterial because no matter how low a GI any carbs I eat, they still boost my BG by the 2hr mark! - But we are all different.