Moving to the Pump

ImSpiritus

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm currently going through the process of choosing a pump and have the following choices.
  • Roche Combo
  • Med 640g
  • Omni
  • Tslim
As I'm not funded for CGM and the cost to self fund currently is out of scope I've tried to look forward and whittle it down. I am fortunate to at present to be on the libre and will be using this going forward alongside the pump. I do have 2 in mind to look at more in depth but ask if my views on the pumps are valid and hope to hear some other views to help decide. I can read loads on google but nothing beats real life in use by the user views.

Discounted for now.
  • Roche as it seems too much finger pricking required
  • Med 640g due to 670g being out and being tied into a 4 year use for what would be classed as old technology.
Considering
  • Omnipod due to no tubes, portability and ease of use for what it is.
  • Tslim for future proof, potential going forward.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi,
Your situation and your thoughts almost exactly match mine.
I too have a Libre and i am waiting for my first pump.

Like you i have done LOTS of online searches and like you i have spoken to a number of people on this forum.
I also got my choices down to the Omnipod and the t:slim X2.

Many people on these forum pages will tell you that everyone's circumstances are different and you must make up your own mind.

I decided that i would go for the t:Slim X2.
These are my reasons:
  1. I take a LOT of insulin each day (about 150 units)
    I was told that when i switch to using a pump, that the amount of insulin that i would need would be approx 33% less, so that would mean that i would only need about 100 units per day.
    The Omnipod only hold 200 units max, whereas the t:slim can hold up to 300 units.
    If i chose the Omnipod, i would have to change it every 2 days, which would mean that it would be prohibitively expensive for my CCG to fund.

2. Although i love the idea of a patch pump, i also REALLY love the idea that the software on the t:slim can be updated just by connecting it to the internet using my computer. This has GOT to be better than waiting 4 years for another pump.
    Patch pumps are a bit different i suppose. There is the possibility that the software in an OmniPod could be updated in the next "Batch" that you are sent, but i don't know if that is what is going to happen.

3. The t:slim has the Basal IQ software (as i am sure you already know) and in Q1 of 2020, the Control IQ software "may" be available in the UK. As you already mentioned, the t:slim connects to the Dexcom G6 sensor, which from all the reviews i have seen is an EXCELLENT sensor (better than a MiaoMiao/Libre combo according to reviews).
    However, as you know, the G6 is £159 a month - self funded.
    At the moment, i am using a MiaoMiao (£150 one off purchase) and NHS Libre sensors

However.... Dexcom has indicated in their annual financial review that the Dexcom G7 sensor is on the horizon for late 2020 and it looks a bit like a thick Libre sensor. It is more accurate and .... they are going to be marketing it at a reduced price compare to the G6 "to come in line with other products on the market".
    I think that this is a clear reference to the Libre.

IF Dexcom can get the price of the G7 to that of the Libre, then i would imagine that the NHS would consider funding it.
    Please note: this is my own personal conjecture

4. I have already decided that if the t:Slim "fits" really well with me, then i will trial it for 3 months or so, on its own, then i will be finding some way to fund the G6.
    There are others who have found ways to extend the life of the sensors and the Transmitter, meaning that although they are NOT using the annual plan, they still manage to get their costs down to about £100 a month.
    I am probably too lazy to go to that much trouble and will probably go for the annual plan.

5. It just looks and feels really NICE.
    My CCG did not originally offer the t:slim as one of their pumps.
    By continuous gentle persuasion and sending them lots of links to articles online and YouTube videos from people who have got a t:slim and LOVE IT, they eventually gave in, and now i am getting my t:slim in November and i simply can't wait.
All of these reasons, (and more), are MY personal reasons for wanting a t:slim.
Your circumstances may be different, and i wish you all the best of luck with your choice.
Hopefully someone else will give you the reasons why they chose the Omnipod (just to mess with your head - LOL).

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had my t:slim x2 for about 6 months and I'm very happy with it. Still waiting for my Basal IQ update though. Due "End of September" so should be soon! New pumps will include it anyway.

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
is t slim available in uk now?
Hi,
Your situation and your thoughts almost exactly match mine.
I too have a Libre and i am waiting for my first pump.

Like you i have done LOTS of online searches and like you i have spoken to a number of people on this forum.
I also got my choices down to the Omnipod and the t:slim X2.

Many people on these forum pages will tell you that everyone's circumstances are different and you must make up your own mind.

I decided that i would go for the t:Slim X2.
These are my reasons:
  1. I take a LOT of insulin each day (about 150 units)
    I was told that when i switch to using a pump, that the amount of insulin that i would need would be approx 33% less, so that would mean that i would only need about 100 units per day.
    The Omnipod only hold 200 units max, whereas the t:slim can hold up to 300 units.
    If i chose the Omnipod, i would have to change it every 2 days, which would mean that it would be prohibitively expensive for my CCG to fund.

2. Although i love the idea of a patch pump, i also REALLY love the idea that the software on the t:slim can be updated just by connecting it to the internet using my computer. This has GOT to be better than waiting 4 years for another pump.
    Patch pumps are a bit different i suppose. There is the possibility that the software in an OmniPod could be updated in the next "Batch" that you are sent, but i don't know if that is what is going to happen.

3. The t:slim has the Basal IQ software (as i am sure you already know) and in Q1 of 2020, the Control IQ software "may" be available in the UK. As you already mentioned, the t:slim connects to the Dexcom G6 sensor, which from all the reviews i have seen is an EXCELLENT sensor (better than a MiaoMiao/Libre combo according to reviews).
    However, as you know, the G6 is £159 a month - self funded.
    At the moment, i am using a MiaoMiao (£150 one off purchase) and NHS Libre sensors

However.... Dexcom has indicated in their annual financial review that the Dexcom G7 sensor is on the horizon for late 2020 and it looks a bit like a thick Libre sensor. It is more accurate and .... they are going to be marketing it at a reduced price compare to the G6 "to come in line with other products on the market".
    I think that this is a clear reference to the Libre.

IF Dexcom can get the price of the G7 to that of the Libre, then i would imagine that the NHS would consider funding it.
    Please note: this is my own personal conjecture

4. I have already decided that if the t:Slim "fits" really well with me, then i will trial it for 3 months or so, on its own, then i will be finding some way to fund the G6.
    There are others who have found ways to extend the life of the sensors and the Transmitter, meaning that although they are NOT using the annual plan, they still manage to get their costs down to about £100 a month.
    I am probably too lazy to go to that much trouble and will probably go for the annual plan.

5. It just looks and feels really NICE.
    My CCG did not originally offer the t:slim as one of their pumps.
    By continuous gentle persuasion and sending them lots of links to articles online and YouTube videos from people who have got a t:slim and LOVE IT, they eventually gave in, and now i am getting my t:slim in November and i simply can't wait.
All of these reasons, (and more), are MY personal reasons for wanting a t:slim.
Your circumstances may be different, and i wish you all the best of luck with your choice.
Hopefully someone else will give you the reasons why they chose the Omnipod (just to mess with your head - LOL).

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
ah thank you got couple years to go yet good to know tho x

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
is t slim available in uk now?

I just want to point out that the t:slim wasn't originally available from my CCG.
In all fairness to them though, they were offering a choice of 6 pumps at the time, which was really good compared to other CCG's.

However, i REALLY wanted a t:slim X2, so i explained to my team why i wanted it, and why it fitted with my needs.
I also pointed out that at least 2 of the 6 that they were offering were very out of date and perhaps should be removed.
I am lucky because my team sat down and talked it through and agreed that the t:slim should be an option, AND they agreed that the "OLD" two should be removed.

Now, not every CCG is as helpful as mine, and i do count myself as very lucky.
However, i also think that sometimes you do have to "persuade" your team to "go into bat" for what you want.
It really is a case of "If you don'y ask, you don't get".

If you feel that there is a pump that suits YOUR lifestyle, then gather as much information as you can and make your case.
If your team feel that you are really committed to your choice of pump, AND you have done a lot of the work for them, you will be surprised at how helpful they can be.

Good Luck

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I agree with you @Capt-Slog regarding how lucky you are to have such choice and how persuasion may expand the options. However, I still stick with my assertion that you learn much much more about your pump preferences from experience than reading other people’s review as we are all so different.
Sure things like insulin cartridge size can be important but future closes loopability is only relevant once you have experience of the pump and the limitations. I was surprised how fast the 3 years* of my pump went despite some features which frustrated me.

*most pumps have 4 year warranties. My Animas was replaced earlier as they pulled out of the pump market.

Thanks, I DO quite agree that you learn much more from personal experience than from reading others reviews.
However I did say "I too have a Libre and i am waiting for my first pump."
Therefore i am not quite sure how your assertion fits into what i have been saying.
If you have never owned a pump, other peoples experience (reviews) is all you have to go on.
I am sure that there will be things about my choice of pump that will eventually frustrate me, but just because i listen to other peoples reviews doesn't make it any less my choice.