Low carb and headaches?

VMK

I am diet only T2 trying and mostly succeeding to control BG with low carb (less than 50 g per day). BUT, I am struggling with frequent, low-grade headaches. Does anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: Karen3dith

VMK

You may need to drink more.
Try having a big glass of water (a pint) every time you notice a headache coming on, and try to build more water into your daily routine.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects
Hope that helps.

Yes, I must try to do that. I’ve always had a problem judging when I need to drink because I’m very rarely thirsty now (unlike how I used to be, during the night, before diagnosis when I was always thirsty).....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a point of drinking a mug of water when I get up, when I go into the kitchen to make a meal, and another in the evening, it is simply a habit now and it helps with night time cramps - or I assume it does as I have not had one for some time.

Reactions: VMK

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@VMK as well as ensuring you’re drinking enough, make sure you’re getting enough salt. Your electrolyte balance is also important.

VMK

@VMK as well as ensuring you’re drinking enough, make sure you’re getting enough salt. Your electrolyte balance is also important.

Yes. The dietary adjustments are tricky at first aren’t they as they seem to go against everything we’ve spent a lifetime being told! Thank you.

Reactions: Goonergal
M

Member496333

How long have you been low-carbing? In addition to what others have already said, I would add that headaches could also be a sign of carbohydrate withdrawal. Otherwise known as 'keto flu'.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am diet only T2 trying and mostly succeeding to control BG with low carb (less than 50 g per day). BUT, I am struggling with frequent, low-grade headaches. Does anyone else have this issue?
It's probably the salt thing, getting slightly dehydrated as you lose electrolytes... If you've kicked bread and such to the curb, you're taking in a LOT less salt than you did before. My bloodpressure dropped quite a bit more than I'd wanted it to, until I added some salt back in. Also, carb-flu can be an issue if its the first days/weeks of low carbing, but yeah.... Just have some bone broth or coconut water. (Or add some salt to your coffee. ;)). Hopefully that'll sort your headaches out.

VMK

How long have you been low-carbing? In addition to what others have already said, I would add that headaches could also be a sign of carbohydrate withdrawal. Otherwise known as 'keto flu'.

Thank you. I don’t thing it’s carb withdrawal as I’ve been doing it for several months now. But, the advice about the water and salt makes sense as I haven’t perhaps allowed for that......

VMK

It's probably the salt thing, getting slightly dehydrated as you lose electrolytes... If you've kicked bread and such to the curb, you're taking in a LOT less salt than you did before. My bloodpressure dropped quite a bit more than I'd wanted it to, until I added some salt back in. Also, carb-flu can be an issue if its the first days/weeks of low carbing, but yeah.... Just have some bone broth or coconut water. (Or add some salt to your coffee. ;)). Hopefully that'll sort your headaches out.

Thank you. I’m going to take on board the advice re water and salt....

VMK

Thank you. All sounds very sensible. Is salt ok in coffee (or have I been missing a trick) ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. All sounds very sensible. Is salt ok in coffee (or have I been missing a trick) ?
Not bad... Salt is a flavour enhancer, just like sugar is. Just don't overdo it. ;)