Type 2 What were your Problems and Experiences practicing INTERMITTENT FASTING ? ( Diabetes Type 2 )

Jiro

Hi Everybody, this is my second post on this Forum, and I would like to know your opinions about this topic :

First of all, I will explain the situation : My little brother, who is a Diabetes Type 2 man like me, is going to practice the Intermittent Fasting in order to reduce the insulin resistance under medical supervision. In fact, he is practicing this since six days ago. In the beginning, he is dealing with this new habit and he is using a low-carb diet while he practices the Intermittent Fasting too.

I write this post to know the experiences with the Intermittent Fasting that other users had in the past. In addition, I would like to know If you had problems with the Gout and Uric Acid while you were practicing this new habit, because my brother feels sometimes Gout Attacks and I have seen on other website that the Intermittent Fasting might grow the Uric Acid levels, something that I am worried about

I am not going to use the Intermittent Fasting right now, but I am interested on knowing your experience with this how I explained in my title

Thank you for reading me !

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Everybody, this is my second post on this Forum, and I would like to know your opinions about this topic :

First of all, I will explain the situation : My little brother, who is a Diabetes Type 2 man like me, is going to practice the Intermittent Fasting in order to reduce the insulin resistance under medical supervision. In fact, he is practicing this since six days ago. In the beginning, he is dealing with this new habit and he is using a low-carb diet while he practices the Intermittent Fasting too.

I write this post to know the experiences with the Intermittent Fasting that other users had in the past. In addition, I would like to know If you had problems with the Gout and Uric Acid while you were practicing this new habit, because my brother feels sometimes Gout Attacks and I have seen on other website that the Intermittent Fasting might grow the Uric Acid levels, something that I am worried about

I am not going to use the Intermittent Fasting right now, but I am interested on knowing your experience with this how I explained in my title

Hi Jiro,
What I say is just from my personal experience and from viewing some information from doctors and other researchers who I feel are credible.

I have never had gout or any similar pain. I don't recall any of the doctors suggesting IF mentioning an increased incidence of gout in their patients - and combined we must be talking about tens of thousands of patients!
I consider myself to be primarily on a LCHF lifestyle but using IF to give me a nudge into Ketosis if my fasting BG seems too high for my liking.

So what that looks like in practice is that I aim for between 20gms and 50gms of carbs per day. I only count carbs - not Calories! In a fairly normal week I will have 2 days of IF(not consecutive). But if when I test my BG pre-breakfast it is as high as 7.8 or more, then I will decide to skip breakfast and push back lunch a little so as to have been fasting for >16hrs. Note that I don't drink any milk or cream or Oil in that time , so no 'bulletproof coffee' etc - just straight black, green or peppermint tea.

I feel no ill effects from IF, my energy levels are the same as if I had my normal breakfast of 2 hard boiled eggs , salt, pepper with a drizzle of Olive Oil. The only difference is that my stomach doesn't feel as full, but I can deal with that since for my regular Colonoscopies I have to fast for over 36hrs.

If your brother experiences symptoms of gout, then he can just avoid doing the IF and see if that helps. IF can't permanently damage the human body - remember that all the major religions have been advocating it for their followers for many centuaries! ( Lent, Ramadan etc. )

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
low-carb diet while he practices the Intermittent Fasting too
A superb combination therapy that should bring his HbA1c back down to normal pretty quickly .
I would recommend carbs as low as he possibly can manage. Brought my HbA1c down from 87 mmol/m at diagnosis to 36 mmol/m in 3 months.
No breakfast and very low carb lunches and dinners.. coffees with cream in the morning.

Reactions: Jiro

Jiro

Hi Jiro,
What I say is just from my personal experience and from viewing some information from doctors and other researchers who I feel are credible.

I have never had gout or any similar pain. I don't recall any of the doctors suggesting IF mentioning an increased incidence of gout in their patients - and combined we must be talking about tens of thousands of patients!
I consider myself to be primarily on a LCHF lifestyle but using IF to give me a nudge into Ketosis if my fasting BG seems too high for my liking.

So what that looks like in practice is that I aim for between 20gms and 50gms of carbs per day. I only count carbs - not Calories! In a fairly normal week I will have 2 days of IF(not consecutive). But if when I test my BG pre-breakfast it is as high as 7.8 or more, then I will decide to skip breakfast and push back lunch a little so as to have been fasting for >16hrs. Note that I don't drink any milk or cream or Oil in that time , so no 'bulletproof coffee' etc - just straight black, green or peppermint tea.

I feel no ill effects from IF, my energy levels are the same as if I had my normal breakfast of 2 hard boiled eggs , salt, pepper with a drizzle of Olive Oil. The only difference is that my stomach doesn't feel as full, but I can deal with that since for my regular Colonoscopies I have to fast for over 36hrs.

If your brother experiences symptoms of gout, then he can just avoid doing the IF and see if that helps. IF can't permanently damage the human body - remember that all the major religions have been advocating it for their followers for many centuaries! ( Lent, Ramadan etc. )

Hi ! First of all, thank you for the message. It was helpful !
To be honest, It didn't happen anything this last week while my brother was doing IF. Until now, no gout, and that is great. I was asking the question about the Uric Acid and Gout because on the website www.dietdoctor.com , the webpage that you can see Keto Diet and IF examples, one of the most important informations was to be careful while you do IF, because the Uric Acid levels will be higher, and that was what worried me

On the other hand, thank you for the answer :) After all this time doing IF, did you feel pains, dizziness or similar ? My brother, who has started the Keto Diet and IF recently has been feeling dizziness, although I guess It will be because he is starting with the Diet and IF I guess

Again, thank you for your time, Wish you a good day and good luck with your Diabetes :)

Jiro

A superb combination therapy that should bring his HbA1c back down to normal pretty quickly .
I would recommend carbs as low as he possibly can manage. Brought my HbA1c down from 87 mmol/m at diagnosis to 36 mmol/m in 3 months.
No breakfast and very low carb lunches and dinners.. coffees with cream in the morning.

Thank you for the Advice ! He started few time ago and I guess we will begin to see the effects on his body soon
Do you have any advice you can give us while we are doing IF and Keto Diet ? Thank you for the coffee idea, we didn't know that, but I will tell my brother to take it in the morning ( He is drinking only water and alkaline water in the mornings right now )

Thank you ! And thank you for the advices ! Good luck controlling your Diabetes !

M

Member496333

Fasting was never really very effective for me in terms of how I could tolerate it. I am (and always was) built like a whippet and so my body likes to hold onto what little fat it does have. Initially while I was still extremely insulin resistant I could easily tolerate 48h or more, but now 24h is about the maximum. My theory is that to begin with my body was living off organ fat when I fasted, and now that supply is mostly exhausted. If I fast now for more than about 18h I just get real hungry real quick.

It is profoundly effective in dropping insulin levels, though, thus allowing the body to mobilise stored energy and return some capacity for insulin to do its thing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the Advice ! He started few time ago and I guess we will begin to see the effects on his body soon
Do you have any advice you can give us while we are doing IF and Keto Diet ? Thank you for the coffee idea, we didn't know that, but I will tell my brother to take it in the morning ( He is drinking only water and alkaline water in the mornings right now )

Thank you ! And thank you for the advices ! Good luck controlling your Diabetes !

The only advice I can give is just do it.
For me it was remarkably effective both at lowering my blood sugars as well as helping with significant weight loss.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
My brother, who has started the Keto Diet and IF recently has been feeling dizziness, although I guess It will be because he is starting with the Diet and IF I guess

Hi Jiro,
So far as fasting and Intermittent Fasting is concerned I started needing to fast long before by Diabetes diagnosis (for the regular colonoscopies that I needed). And although after about 48hrs I would feel some weakness, I don't every recall feeling dizzy.

When going Low Carb, I took the advice from members here and increased my Salt intake plus increased my Fat and Protein intake - really going LCHF with no initial Calorie reduction . All I can say is that I didn't experience 'Keto Flu' - but on the other hand I don't know if I would otherwise have experienced it.

You mention medical supervision, if that extends to the diet as well as the Insulin Resistance and if the Doctor/Nurse is familiar with Low Carb and IF then your brother should be in good hands. Often members complain that their healthcare professionals don't accept that Low Carb works for type 2 diabetics and even insist that they should eat carbs to counteract the Gliclazide or Insulin they have prescribed - which has to be the craziest thing since the days that doctors used bleeding for all serious ailments!

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I had suffered from gout regularly PRIOR to going low carb and intermittent fasting.

I had a mild flareup when I started doing IF (could be coincidence, or maybe it triggered it - hard to say either way) but I quickly greatly increased my liquids and took my mega-doses of Aleve which knocked it out quickly (this time).

SINCE going low carb and maintaining regular IF, I have not had another gout attack in close to a year.

In general, whenever I change my body chemistry (too much liquor, allowing myself to get badly dehydrated, poor eating habits etc) is when gout (in me) was always triggered, so not only do I consider LCHF + IF a great diabetes preventative, it also seems to be a gout preventative for me as well. I still drink way too much red wine, but that's another story...

Reactions: ianf0ster

Jiro

I had suffered from gout regularly PRIOR to going low carb and intermittent fasting.

I had a mild flareup when I started doing IF (could be coincidence, or maybe it triggered it - hard to say either way) but I quickly greatly increased my liquids and took my mega-doses of Aleve which knocked it out quickly (this time).

SINCE going low carb and maintaining regular IF, I have not had another gout attack in close to a year.

In general, whenever I change my body chemistry (too much liquor, allowing myself to get badly dehydrated, poor eating habits etc) is when gout (in me) was always triggered, so not only do I consider LCHF + IF a great diabetes preventative, it also seems to be a gout preventative for me as well. I still drink way too much red wine, but that's another story...

That was really important information, because we are still worried about the Uric Acid and Gout
Thank you for the info !

Jiro

Hi Jiro,
So far as fasting and Intermittent Fasting is concerned I started needing to fast long before by Diabetes diagnosis (for the regular colonoscopies that I needed). And although after about 48hrs I would feel some weakness, I don't every recall feeling dizzy.

When going Low Carb, I took the advice from members here and increased my Salt intake plus increased my Fat and Protein intake - really going LCHF with no initial Calorie reduction . All I can say is that I didn't experience 'Keto Flu' - but on the other hand I don't know if I would otherwise have experienced it.

You mention medical supervision, if that extends to the diet as well as the Insulin Resistance and if the Doctor/Nurse is familiar with Low Carb and IF then your brother should be in good hands. Often members complain that their healthcare professionals don't accept that Low Carb works for type 2 diabetics and even insist that they should eat carbs to counteract the Gliclazide or Insulin they have prescribed - which has to be the craziest thing since the days that doctors used bleeding for all serious ailments!

Well, we hope this medical supervision will be the correct one for us. We will see how our bodies and weight are in the next weeks

Again, theank you very much for your info ! It was really useful !

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

I get dizzy quite a bit when eating low carb (But I'm also breastfeeding a 4 month old baby and probably have intermittent low blood pressure so the dizziness happens when I've been squatting and then stand up. ) I'm not sure but might be low sodium.

As far as the gout is concerned I've seen someone talking about it and potassium citrate supplements or lemon juice has been recommended. Maybe eating a wider range of vegetables would help too.

Maybe look at electrolytes in general.

Jiro

I get dizzy quite a bit when eating low carb (But I'm also breastfeeding a 4 month old baby and probably have intermittent low blood pressure so the dizziness happens when I've been squatting and then stand up. ) I'm not sure but might be low sodium.

As far as the gout is concerned I've seen someone talking about it and potassium citrate supplements or lemon juice has been recommended. Maybe eating a wider range of vegetables would help too.

Maybe look at electrolytes in general.

Thank you for the info ! These days I am feeling better, and I think I am doing in a correct way the Intermittent Fasting

Thank you for your comment ! I will take in count what you said me. I have been taking potassium since yesterday and I think It will the best for me

Thank you again. I wish a good day and luck with the IF !

Reactions: Cocosilk