Treatment type
Diet only
Hi respected members,
Can someone guide me what are the ideal blood sugar levels

Fasting
Before meal
After 1 hour of meal
After 2 hours of meal

How much blood sugar levels should be raised after having meal in non diabetic healthy person.

How to judge a food on the basis of postprandial sugar levels (I heard it should no be increased more than 2 mmol after 2 hours)

I am researching but getting mixed knowledge and facts some says bsl should not be increased more than 1 mmol at 1 hour postprandial and should come back to premeal level in 2hours .

Will be waiting for any response desperately

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi respected members,
Can someone guide me what are the ideal blood sugar levels

Fasting
Before meal
After 1 hour of meal
After 2 hours of meal

How much blood sugar levels should be raised after having meal in non diabetic healthy person.

How to judge a food on the basis of postprandial sugar levels (I heard it should no be increased more than 2 mmol after 2 hours)

I am researching but getting mixed knowledge and facts some says bsl should not be increased more than 1 mmol at 1 hour postprandial and should come back to premeal level in 2hours .

Will be waiting for any response desperately
What was your last HbA1c that led to your diagnosis?

Reactions: hazelzac

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the time of diagnosis it was 5.1 after low carb diet it is now 4.6
You sure that's your HbA1c?
Looks more like fasting blood glucose and none of those levels are pre-diabetic anyway...
What were the units?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks more like fasting blood glucose and none of those levels are pre-diabetic anyway...
What were the units?

Even if it is an HbA1c in percent (U.S. and German way of reporting), it would be squarely in the normal range. Prediabetes starts at 5.6 percent.

Last edited:

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What were the units?

I was diagnosed thru ogtt my two hour reading was 8.4 although fasting was 4.8

Hba1c units are same in Australia as in uk I believe
5.1 (32) at the time of diagnosis
And now it is 4.7 (28)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

And now it is 4.7 (28)

Your HbA1c levels are completely normal so you don't nor have ever had pre diabetes.
Prediabetes in the UK is an HbA1c of 42-47 mmol/m
Full on T2 is 48 mmol/m and higher.
5.1 mmol/l and 4.7 mmol/l are both completely normal blood sugar readings too.
HbA1c of 5.1% and 4.7% are also completely normal levels.

Might be worth going back to your doctor and just checking exactly what they think you have!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

And now it is 4.7 (28)

Hi @hazelzac,

The OGTT is just barely in the prediabetic range (should have been 7.8 or lower at 2 hours). Fasting levels and HbA1c are great.

It might be worthwhile to check at 1 hour in addition to checking at 2 hours after a meal. Some normal people spike after meals, which might not be a good thing.

As people with diabetes or prediabetes, we generally look of a spike of no more than 2 mmol 2 hours after the first bite of a meal. Some of us are a bit stricter and also try to stay below 7.8 mmol at all times (but this isn't official advice).

Jenny Ruhl (website bloodsugar 101) has a discussion on what are normal blood sugar levels. Here's a link:https://www.bloodsugar101.com/what-is-a-normal-blood-sugar

Hope this helps.

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your HbA1c levels are completely normal so you don't nor have ever had pre diabetes.

Might be worth going back to your doctor and just checking exactly what they think you have!

I was diagnosed thru ogtt 2 hour reading was 8.4

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @hazelzac,

The OGTT is just barely in the prediabetic range (should have been 7.8 or lower at 2 hours). Fasting levels and HbA1c are great.

It might be worthwhile to check at 1 hour in addition to checking at 2 hours after a meal. Some normal people spike after meals, which might not be a good thing.

As people with diabetes or prediabetes, we generally look of a spike of no more than 2 mmol 2 hours after the first bite of a meal. Some of us are a bit stricter and also try to stay below 7.8 mmol at all times (but this isn't official advice).

Jenny Ruhl (website bloodsugar 101) has a discussion on what are normal blood sugar levels. Here's a link:https://www.bloodsugar101.com/what-is-a-normal-blood-sugar

Hope this helps.

Can’t thank you enough , really appreciate your advice

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks a lot, they say I am pre diabetic and should continue whatever I am doing , I don’t enjoy family meals anymore and it irritates my husband that’s why I want to add few healthy carbs in my meals I am under lots of stress as I have 2 kids to take care of , need to pass 2 more exams to start my job recently my blood pressure is also creeping up and doctor thinks it’s due to stress I am taking ssri as well.