Winters on it's way

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
I've done so well during the summer with salads. But how am I going to cope with colder days. I cant eat salad in the winter. Any suggestions for hot meals that arnt full of carbs. I do like my slow cook pot.

Janet

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done so well during the summer with salads. But how am I going to cope with colder days. I cant eat salad in the winter. Any suggestions for hot meals that arnt full of carbs. I do like my slow cook pot.

Janet
Anything meaty.. virtually zero carb... low and slow cooked oxtails or pork ribs?

Reactions: lessci

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Janet

I love steamed vegetable "salad" (broccoli, cauliflower) with a "dressing" of home-made cheese sauce (cream and melted soft cheeses like havarti, cheddar, or swiss), or, plain creamy salad dressings like ranch.

Stir fry veggies (sliced daikon raddish, red peppers and broccoli/cauliflower, bokchoy to name a few) are also great hot sides.

Soups and stew-type dishes are great in slow-cookers.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not.......I eat salad all year round......I am a salad freak and have eaten it Christmas Day with my turkey and pigs in blankets........MrSD is of the opinion I was a rabbit in a former incarnation.:rolleyes:

Reactions: ianpspurs

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Janet
Salads are available year round, but if you can't stomach them in the winter.... Eggs dishes? (Just had an omelet with salmon, but does alright with tuna too, bacon, cheese, sausages, cinnamon, pesto....). Meaty stuff? I like my cauliflower rice or broccoli rice with cheese and bacon (and whatever herbs/spices take my fancy that day)... Pumpkins are a little too carb-heavy for me (I keto) in proper portions, but I rather like those too, in moderation. :)

I'm no cook, not at all, but there's a wealth of information on the internet. ;)
https://tasty.co/article/hannahloewentheil/22-low-carb-comfort-food-recipes-to-bookmark

M

Member496333

Animals or anything that came out of one. Overground vegetables if that’s your thing.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With all this vile, cold rain around, there is going to be soup in my life tomorrow.

I have a butcher's ham hock, and will skin that (and have a side of fabulous crackling - gammon rind makes superb crackling), then make stock, put a goodly dollop of the meat back into the stock, and seasonings, some shredded cabbage and whatever other veggies are hanging around, and it'll be fabulous, and there'll be lots of it.

Reactions: Route 66

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah lots of soups, possibly homemade keto bread, lots of roasted greens and meats if you like it meaty. Stir frys, cauliflower rice or homemade wraps are pretty good. Slow cooked meats or stew if you fancy something for a few days or lots of bone broth.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Janet

Hi @Frosty66 you could try casseroles, soup, chilli, curry, plus you could tweak them to your own requirements. Eggs are great and so versatile too and having a slow cooker is fantastic, double or triple the portions and freeze these for later.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Over here in Australia just heading into summer. Can I suggest cauliflower mash or cauliflower and broccoli mash- feel free to add cheese. This goes well with meat or fish.

Reactions: ickihun

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slow cooked meats for me. Or pan fried fish with a lemon butter sauce.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Squash lasagne, shepherd's pie with mashed cauli instead of pots, stuffed aubergine
and soup, there must always be soup

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Janet
I had a lovely lamb liver cassarole in oven but just as soft and melts in the mouth in a slow cooker.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @Frosty66 you could try casseroles, soup, chilli, curry, plus you could tweak them to your own requirements. Eggs are great and so versatile too and having a slow cooker is fantastic, double or triple the portions and freeze these for later.
A quick egg nice and hot can be enough to fill me now after stomach reduction; for me.. too.
Stir-frys and using egg as a thickener often fills even my heavy eating boys. I use anything to stop them filling up with white bread.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Janet

Here is a frequent stand-by soup I have - it's great too, for "clearing up" your fridge and freezers of diabetic-friendly vegetables (including lettuces and spinach) you want to get rid of. It's so convenient to have something handy.
No real measurement on how much or what exactly has to be in it - but for me, it's got to have garlic, onions and celery. I do mine stove-top, but you can use slow-cooker for it. :)

GROUND CHICKEN (or PORK) VEGETABLE SOUP

Saute' chopped onions and garlic in canola or olive oil. Add celery and red peppers, and the ground meat.
Stir around for about a couple of minutes. Add a big can of tomato juice. I also put a can of diced tomatoes. Add some salt and spices like black pepper, oregano, bay leaves or basil. Bring to boil, then lower heat to medium. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes, then add your vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans. (Note: don't add your leafy vegetables yet.) Bring to boil again, then lower heat and simmer until the vegetables are almost done. Adjust your seasoning to your liking. If you find it too tomatoey, add water.
Finally, add your leafy vegetables and cook until wilted. Remove from heat.

Another option is chunky cream soups!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I just bought a pack of chicken drumsticks for soup - not a lot of meat but the bones make a great base. I'll be using extra garlic so I can use less onion, but adding some sliced leeks towards the end.
Shove them in the slow cooker, add a carrot is I must (I don't eat many now but one between 4 meals is fine).
Cook for hours until all the meat falls off the bones - you could even take off the meal and cook the bones for longer after.

Add herbs/spices/ etc as wanted. I will split mine and do part with dried persian limes (or sumac) and cauli rice, and part with soy sauce, extra black pepper, some diced green pepper and a couple of small tomatoes.
If there is any left, then the next day I'd add green beans to the leek and lemon/sumac version or mushrooms to the soy sauce version.
Eat alone, or with cauli rice or oomi noodles (don't add oomi noodles to the soup as they taste strange if cooked too long, best to just stir them in at the last few seconds). I might even have some 90sec bread.

Another option is persian herb stew - more work but the are short cuts and it's a delicious way to eat a lot of green leaves. Usually made with beef, but I use chicken or there is a veggie version. Like a soup, this is even better on the second day. I can post a recipe if you want.

Reactions: angustia