Hypos every day

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been getting hypos of about 57 mg/dl to 74 mg/dl every day for three days consecutively. I felt very weak, and trembling. I do not know why this is happening.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am taking 30/70 premixed insulin 30 units before breakfast, and 10 units before dinner. I eat 120g diet per day.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If this is a recent thing, I would be looking at what has changed.
Have you changed your diet? If you are eating less carbs, you may need to reduce your insulin dose.
Have you done more exercise?
Has the weather changed?
I have stopped before dinner insulin dosage of 10 units. So I am taking 30 units of insulin only before breakfast.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Mixed insulin can be a great help but has some limitations with control. It does sound like your dosage may be little too high. If you are unable to get the control right and eliminate most hypos then you could ask for the Basal/Bolus insulin regime which would enable good control at the cost of more injections and medication cost.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Mixed insulin can be a great help but has some limitations with control. It does sound like your dosage may be little too high. If you are unable to get the control right and eliminate most hypos then you could ask for the Basal/Bolus insulin regime which would enable good control at the cost of more injections and medication cost.
I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. I am suffering from gastroparesis. In view of this I cannot change the insulin type to bolus/basal type. My doctor prescribed only premixed insulin. After decreasing the insulin dosage from 40 units to 30 units per day I have not got hypos. However, I have been getting hypos again of late from the last 3 days. I have reduced the insulin dosage to 20 units. Even with 20 units of insulin dosage I got a hypo of 69 mg/dl today. LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAT1

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I continue to get hypos with only 20 units of insulin per day, which I take before breakfast. I do not know what I should do!

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask your doctor or diabetes team. There are two possible responses to a hypo - either eat more carbs, but not too much as to go hyper; or, reduce your insulin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with gastropareisis is that is makes the rate at which you digest food very unpredictable, so that may well mean that the insulin is most active at times when your glucose levels are not that high.

I think you need more help from your doctor.
Maybe if you keep a diary of exactly what you eat, and the times, when you inject, and what your blood glucose levels are every half hour between the meal and the hypo, your doc may be able to help work out different timings for your insulin injection.

But that is just a suggestion. I really do urge you to get your doctor's input on this as soon as possible.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I continue to get hypos with only 20 units of insulin per day, which I take before breakfast. I do not know what I should do!

Talk to your doctor... based on your previous posts on this issue it seems to be an on going problem, lack of control. Hyper and hypo. From memory your doctor had wanted a basal/bolus regime? However, you refused to do this and the problem continues?

You really need to discuss this with your doctor.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Talk to your doctor... based on your previous posts on this issue it seems to be an on going problem, lack of control. Hyper and hypo. From memory your doctor had wanted a basal/bolus regime? However, you refused to do this and the problem continues?

You really need to discuss this with your doctor.
I did not consult the doctor till now.
Yesterday my fbg was 110 mg/dl. Today my fbg was 96mg/dl. I have taken 20 units of insulin per day before breakfast. 2 months back I was taking 60 units insulin per day, 40 units before breakfast and 20 units before dinner. I have to reduce the insulin dosage to 20 units per day, once only before breakfast. I have to do this because I have been getting hypos on several days. I do not understand the reasons for this phenomenon.

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I did not consult the doctor till now.
Yesterday my fbg was 110 mg/dl. Today my fbg was 96mg/dl. I have taken 20 units of insulin per day before breakfast.

I hope things work out better for you.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My type 2 diabetes has completely reveresed itself. My fasting blood glucose this morning was 58 mg/dl. I got a severe hypo. I stopped taking the premixed insulin completely. I am considering taking only oral medicines, instead. With premixed insulin taking I was getting hypos, and hypers, regularly.

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My type 2 diabetes has completely reveresed itself. My fasting blood glucose this morning was 58 mg/dl. I got a severe hypo. I stopped taking the premixed insulin completely. I am considering taking only oral medicines, instead. With premixed insulin taking I was getting hypos, and hypers, regularly.
Wonderful need that you may come off insulin- oral meds may be a better solution for you. However this does not suggest reversal.