Spiking after breakfast

GGPFC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am on last chance before going onto insulin - I'm 10+ years as a Type 2.

Have been taking this seriously and monitoring bloods 3/4 times a day and making big effort to eat the right things.

My fasting readings have been between 5 & 8 (nurse is happy if I remain under 10) pretty much every morning and remain within limits for the last month.

Have been having porridge nearly every morning and have been fine, but the last 3 days I've been hitting double figures 2 hours after. Readings come down after lunch (usually salad) and remain within limits - I'm only getting the spike after brekkie.

Today I tried a small bowl of shreddies with skimmed milk and after 7.2 fasting it shot up to 11.3!

What am I doing wrong????

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably telling you that you cant manage the amount of carbs at that time of the day

Through diabetes journeys tolerances can change so yes you may have been ok with it but now its telling you its too much, most find they are more insulin resistant in the morning

Porridge and cereals are very high carb and even some Type 1's on insulin cant bolus easily or at all to control the spike so this doesn't surprise me to be honest

Try something lower carb higher fat, like full fat greek yoghurt with berries/nuts, bacon & egg etc
xx

GGPFC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, will give the yoghurt a go instead, I did wonder if it was because I bought ordinary rolled oats rather than the scottish ones!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: GGPFC

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am on last chance before going onto insulin - I'm 10+ years as a Type 2.

Have been taking this seriously and monitoring bloods 3/4 times a day and making big effort to eat the right things.

My fasting readings have been between 5 & 8 (nurse is happy if I remain under 10) pretty much every morning and remain within limits for the last month.

Have been having porridge nearly every morning and have been fine, but the last 3 days I've been hitting double figures 2 hours after. Readings come down after lunch (usually salad) and remain within limits - I'm only getting the spike after brekkie.

Today I tried a small bowl of shreddies with skimmed milk and after 7.2 fasting it shot up to 11.3!

What am I doing wrong????
It's the carbs in the morning. Most of us can't handle them as it is, but in the morning it's worse... There's dawn phenomenon going on, increased insulin resistance, add carbs to that and poof, your bloodsugars soar. Full fat greek yoghurt is a much better option (add a couple of berries if you want, or some coconut shavings, a hand full of nuts), and if that doesn't sustain you, try something with eggs. I know if I have an omelet with a chunk of salmon it'll keep me full until dinner (or beyond even), but you could go for the more traditional bacon and cheese with your scrambled eggs. No carbs there that would spike you, and it'll keep you going for a good long while.

You might want to read Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code... Could help you avoid insulin altogether. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is a bit of a quick-start-guide, that might help too.
Good luck!
Jo

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, will give the yoghurt a go instead, I did wonder if it was because I bought ordinary rolled oats rather than the scottish ones!
Sorry do you mean you have only had a difference in levels since having other oats?

I've only ever eaten Quaker Jumbo Rolled Oats as it is less processed than normal porridge (terrible as I'm Scottish lol) xx

M

Member496333

Shreddies and skimmed milk is glucose washed down with sugar water.

That's the nuts and bolts of it.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I always have bacon and tomato fried with cheese and egg waffles. Quite big but it fills me up. Nothing else does and if I miss it I regret it as I always snack more later on.

Sounds like too many carbs. I’m even debating going down to one tomato as I think 2 at 8g is potentially too much

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always have bacon and tomato fried with cheese and egg waffles. Quite big but it fills me up. Nothing else does and if I miss it I regret it as I always snack more later on.

Sounds like too many carbs. I’m even debating going down to one tomato as I think 2 at 8g is potentially too much
Chaffles. I think you're going to like these. :)

Reactions: Brunneria and GGPFC

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I think mine are Chaffles. Just use grated cheese and two eggs!!

GGPFC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry do you mean you have only had a difference in levels since having other oats?

I've only ever eaten Quaker Jumbo Rolled Oats as it is less processed than normal porridge (terrible as I'm Scottish lol) xx
Think it's probably just a coincidence!!

GGPFC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone, was 7.6 first thing, bacon, egg and a tomato for brekkie and 5.6 before lunch - result!

Oats and cereal getting binned ;)