Acquiring a driving license

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been a diabetic since I was 6 and I’m 27 now and I’m finding it difficult to acquire a provisional driving license to learn as my HBA1C is too low; I know why I’m having hypos all the time and it’s because I exercise at the gym. And have to walk 2 miles to get there and I walk with a crutch.

Can anyone help me out with how to get one as I cannot pursue a career in what I’m qualified for and I am losing my mind over it as doctors are being bureaucrats over it.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I’ve been a diabetic since I was 6 and I’m 27 now and I’m finding it difficult to acquire a provisional driving license to learn as my HBA1C is too low; I know why I’m having hypos all the time and it’s because I exercise at the gym. And have to walk 2 miles to get there and I walk with a crutch.

Can anyone help me out with how to get one as I cannot pursue a career in what I’m qualified for and I am losing my mind over it as doctors are being bureaucrats over it.
Hi @diabeticmetalhead92 and welcome to the forum, an amazing place! Unfortunately, even I have to get past the DVLA barrier, and thanks to a transplant I have not had any injected insulin for six years now. You need to iron out the lows and achieve an HbA1c of at least 5. Do you use a pump? Do you note your readings before and after gym? You will need to make sure that you compensate with carbs after exercise to prevent regular hypos. DVLA will then require evidence from both your GP and Diabetes Clinic that shows that you are safe to drive. Obviously at the moment it would not be safe to drive from the gym back home, but in their eyes, this means anywhere. There are many pump and CGM users on this forum who I am sure would share their experiences or who already have posted info on the forum. I hope you achieve your goal.