Intermittent Fasting and Low-Carb ... Can a "rebound effect" occur ? (R.W.)

Jiro

I have seen recently this post visiting other website. Its the same question I have, because I am using this diet and IF for my Diabetes too ! i would like to share this message and know what people here think about it too :

"First of all, I would like to explain that I began the I.Fasting and Low-Carb diet two weeks ago; after trying with other diets, I decided to use this one and see what happens...

And I am happy ! I use a 16:8 I.Fasting , and I begin to feel the effects on my body :)

However, I am worried about one thing :
If I reach my goal, after loosing weight, I might experience a rebound effect even If I keep with my diet and my I.Fasting program ?
I am afraid about this, If my body will be fat again on its own even If I keep this alimentation and IF for a long time

For the IF users, do you think this is possible ? How was your experience after months or years doing a low-carb diet and I.Fasting ?

I really apreciate your comments and advices. Thank you for reading my text !! - Siropi "

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would be useful if you gave us a link (or a clue) as to where this other website is.. there is a lot of rubbish out there in internet land....
As for my experience.. I have been IF and keto then carnivore for almost 4 years.. weight loss is still an ongoing process for me although far slower than it used to be so I have not as yet experienced any rebound at all.

Reactions: Jiro

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You seem to be asking about a rebound even though you are still eating low carbohydrate and using intermittent fasting.

I'm not sure why you think you would get all your fat back (if I understood correctly).

Weight loss goes in stages, and your body seems to adjust to taking in less food, so it is common to find that you plateau and then reduce what you are eating to restart weight loss.

I can't remember how long I have been officially low carbing (years), but I'm not seeing a rebound when I stick to LCHF and IF.

I do see a rebound if I fall off the wagon, but when I climb back on then the weight comes off again.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I lost the bulk of my 'extra' weight within a couple of months of going lower carb, not even with fasting, or even particularly low carb. That was five years ago. I have never gained that 'bulk' back.

The weight I gain and lose is the difference for me, in being of a 'normal' weight, and being slender. I find staying lean very difficult, but never any difficulties since going moderate carb to lower carb remaining of a normal weight.

But/And, I have no doubt if I went back to eating banana sandwiches, cake and muffins, and plain old toast and marmelade I would gain the fat again. And kidney dialysis and strokes would be on my much shorter term horizon. The rebound for me would be going back to a high carb low fat wheat-ridden diet. I feel sick just thinking about it.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I have seen recently this post visiting other website. Its the same question I have, because I am using this diet and IF for my Diabetes too ! i would like to share this message and know what people here think about it too :

"First of all, I would like to explain that I began the I.Fasting and Low-Carb diet two weeks ago; after trying with other diets, I decided to use this one and see what happens...

And I am happy ! I use a 16:8 I.Fasting , and I begin to feel the effects on my body :)

However, I am worried about one thing :
If I reach my goal, after loosing weight, I might experience a rebound effect even If I keep with my diet and my I.Fasting program ?
I am afraid about this, If my body will be fat again on its own even If I keep this alimentation and IF for a long time

For the IF users, do you think this is possible ? How was your experience after months or years doing a low-carb diet and I.Fasting ?

I really apreciate your comments and advices. Thank you for reading my text !! - Siropi "

Hi Jiro,
I can't see anything in your information that says whether you have any form of diabetes or 'pre-diabetes'.
Are you only interested in your weight, or do you need to control your Blood Glucose as well?

As you can see from the above posts, Low Carb in it many variations helps both with sustainable weight loss and with sustainable Blood Glucose control . However the people in here have the additional motivation of their diabetic condition (even if in remission) to help keep them motivated and 'get back on the wagon' every time they fall off it!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Jiro, I have experienced weight regain after dietary relapse. I do have binge eating disorder though so it's always an ongoing battle.

I am inspired by the many people here who do maintain their weight losses and dietary changes - not everyone has a "rebound" but if you are prone to them, then you might. It doesn't mean it's not worth trying!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost the bulk of my 'extra' weight within a couple of months of going lower carb, not even with fasting, or even particularly low carb. That was five years ago. I have never gained that 'bulk' back.
''

This was also my experience.

And that weight loss has not come back again in nearly six years. It may "wobble" little up and down by a couple of kilos, but I don't expect it to be absolutely static.

But for me LCHF is a (long term) style of eating to manage my glucose levels not a weight loss diet, and I rely on my body to tell me whether I need food or not - if I'm not hungry I'll skip meal(s), or eat smaller ones. I just work on the principle that I won't gain weight as long as I'm not consuming more fuel than my body requires - however that fuel is acquired. That way there's not going to be any surplus left over to get stored as extra fat.

Robbity

Jiro

Would be useful if you gave us a link (or a clue) as to where this other website is.. there is a lot of rubbish out there in internet land....
As for my experience.. I have been IF and keto then carnivore for almost 4 years.. weight loss is still an ongoing process for me although far slower than it used to be so I have not as yet experienced any rebound at all.
I think I found the Information on www.diabetesdaily.com , although I can't find that post right now. But I saw this comment on that website

Jiro

Hi Jiro,
I can't see anything in your information that says whether you have any form of diabetes or 'pre-diabetes'.
Are you only interested in your weight, or do you need to control your Blood Glucose as well?

As you can see from the above posts, Low Carb in it many variations helps both with sustainable weight loss and with sustainable Blood Glucose control . However the people in here have the additional motivation of their diabetic condition (even if in remission) to help keep them motivated and 'get back on the wagon' every time they fall off it!

Well, I am helping a relative ( my brother ) with his Type 2 Diabetes. That is the reason why I ask a lot of things, I would like to know more information to help him

Thank you for your comment by the way !

Jiro

Thank you for the comments ! Really, you help me a lot

Wish you good luck with your Diabetes or Weight too :)