Very low hb1ac

Lynzb

Hi I am currently 17 weeks pregnant last hb1ac was 43 that was about 7 weeks ago. I found out today the test that was done two weeks ago has came back with an hb1ac of 28 my diabetic team said this was very very low and i must be having hypos all the time everyone but im not my average on my blood machine is 6.3. They checked my monitor and seen that it cant be right so have redone the test. Has anyone experienced this im a bit worried something is wrong. I am also anemic which may have caused it but not sure

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Lynzb
Yes anaemia can affect the a1c result so ask your team for some iron supplements which should help treat it (I used Pregnancy specific iron tabs prescribed by my doc).

Reactions: ziggy_w

Lynzb

Thank you i have been taking iron tablets for a few weeks now and it has raised my hemoglobin but not above the normal range yet i also have low ferritin(iron stores) which could be a factor aswell. Thank you for ur reply diabetic team didnt seem worried as my monitor showed it wasnt accurate but it still made me panic a bit.