Libre on the NHS

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Saw my consultant on Friday and he agreed that I now met the criteria as set out on April 1st this year and has agreed to prescribe it for me. Long long battle finally won.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw my consultant on Friday and he agreed that I now met the criteria as set out on April 1st this year and has agreed to prescribe it for me. Long long battle finally won.

Whoop! It’s a great feeling isn’t it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, same here, I received mine on June 27th after a fight to get it.
I hope it will be great help to you.
Take care :)

chaste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After self funding for over 3 years it's a great relief to finally get it.
That's good news Copernicus, can I ask how the consultant made the decision to say yes and approve?

I have also been self funding for close on 3 years and just been given a date for my NHS funding appointment but they have asked me to bring proof that I was testing 8 times a day before going on libre (which was Nov 16)!!!

No meters carry 3 years of data I explained and I also have multiple meters!?
They said to just ask GP for a print out of the blood test strips prescribed before that date which should suffice (how that will help I don't know).

I don't want to blow my chances so has any one else overcome this hurdle please?

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that I qualified and my consultant informed me that he would complete the forms that afternoon - This was early June.
After a months I chased up via my consultants secretary who was brilliantly helpful.
Eventually I found out that I was in a que and that I would be contacted to go on a course and have one fitted.
The first appointment came through a couple of weeks ago - for the middle of next week BUT I will be on a 40ft sailing boat next week so every thing was cancelled.

Now waiting for a new appointment and based on rate so far I am not expecting to have mine not much before Christmas.
If things seem slow - please chase them!
Hope you get it all more quickly than me... Good Luck.

Paul T1 for 60+ years.

JonBoy1199

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant people, that say things like "How can you inject yourself, I couldn't do that" and "did you get diabetes as you eat too much sugar?"
That's good news Copernicus, can I ask how the consultant made the decision to say yes and approve?

I have also been self funding for close on 3 years and just been given a date for my NHS funding appointment but they have asked me to bring proof that I was testing 8 times a day before going on libre (which was Nov 16)!!!

They said to just ask GP for a print out of the blood test strips prescribed before that date which should suffice (how that will help I don't know).

I don't want to blow my chances so has any one else overcome this hurdle please?

I was asked to log my blood test readings in a book 8 times a day for 3 months. I then had to present that as proof of testing to my consultant. I think they can match them up to your average from your hba1c reading, so they know you have genuinely been testing. Consultant was then happy to put forward application with evidence provided.

I had an 8 week wait until the letter finally came through to my GP saying I had been approved and they may prescribe it on repeat perscription.

Good luck with your funding.

kazam401

You are lucky to get to see a consultant. In my area a 4 month return appointment to see my consultant regarding this issue has resulted in an appointment 13 months in the future - into 2020. I have given up

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very happy for you. It will be a life changer.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that I qualified and my consultant informed me that he would complete the forms that afternoon - This was early June.
After a months I chased up via my consultants secretary who was brilliantly helpful.
Eventually I found out that I was in a que and that I would be contacted to go on a course and have one fitted.
The first appointment came through a couple of weeks ago - for the middle of next week BUT I will be on a 40ft sailing boat next week so every thing was cancelled.

Now waiting for a new appointment and based on rate so far I am not expecting to have mine not much before Christmas.
If things seem slow - please chase them!
Hope you get it all more quickly than me... Good Luck.

Paul T1 for 60+ years.
60 years Type1 and still sailing 40ft boats! Well done mate!

Reactions: ChrissiStar

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are lucky to get to see a consultant. In my area a 4 month return appointment to see my consultant regarding this issue has resulted in an appointment 13 months in the future - into 2020. I have given up
That is disgusting! Write to your NHS trust director, the consultant, MP. You have to just keep pushing and wear them down!

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Sorry it took so long to reply. The main reason I was finally put on the NHS list was because of where I work, in a VERY secure children's home, where sharps and other medical items are strictly controlled and you cannot carry blood testing equipment on your person and have to leave the secure building every time you need to test. Thats whey my consultant was able to recommend that I get the Libre.

chaste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry it took so long to reply. The main reason I was finally put on the NHS list was because of where I work, in a VERY secure children's home, where sharps and other medical items are strictly controlled and you cannot carry blood testing equipment on your person and have to leave the secure building every time you need to test. Thats whey my consultant was able to recommend that I get the Libre.
I only asked a day or so ago so was actually a quick reply, the irony is that following a recent Bertie course I was told not to test between meals any more and just give the usual doses as per regime thus reducing the number of daily tests by 3!

Last edited:

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I saw my consultant last Friday and she gave me a prescription for 1 sensor, which I collected from the hospital pharmacy. I asked whether they would be available on my normal repeat prescription list and she told me they would be added automatically. So far I'm still waiting for that to happen.

I don't know whether my normal pharmacy has them in stock or whether they will need to order them in specially, but it's a good job I've got a couple of spares that I bought from Abbots previously.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I live in Central Scotland and have been on Libre via NHS for ages , It has helped me vastly Prior to Libre my Hb1c was 98 it’s came down to 48 after 4 months. In Britain you hear in the news constantly that Diabetes is one of the biggest drains on the NHS. And with more people being diagnosed daily the Libre being available on the nhs can only help reduce the strain. I have had diabetes 40 years and have seen numerous advances in Type 1 treatments . But I do think the libre is on of the most important developments on a par with the introduction of synthetic insulin . Many people with diabetes have to work and taking blood sugars in a working environment can sometimes be impractical. I understand the consequences of not taking regular blood sugars ( I am a below knee amputee) .

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been accepted for the Libre as I meet the criteria, due to the amount of tests I do a day. I'm hoping that the hospital will be in touch soon as they said I need to wear the sensors for 6 months to see if it's beneficial to me.

Due to the nature of my job, I am bound to knock the sensor off. I've checked online for adhesives and the Libre guardian strap but I'm unsure what will be the best for me. I need to make sure that after the 6 months are up the Libre will be put on repeat prescription.

I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding protecting the Libre from being knocked off. I don't fancy wrapping my arm up in duct tape.

Cheers John

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
John - That's easy. The best way is to use Tegaderm (6 x 7cm). They are 30p each at my local chemist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jc3131

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is quite simple John....i use an elasticated bandage to reinforce the safety of my libre but others use tagaderm or simple sticking plaster. But to be fair its amazing how you protect your arm when going through doors and carrying shopping etc but better safe ...

Reactions: Jc3131

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@annliggins its Murphy’s law, you never clip a doorway once, stick a 2-3mm libre on the arm and doorways are 2 foot narrower!:D :banghead:
@Jc3131 I use tegaderm slightly larger patches than @KenBachelor but mine covers the MiaoMiao2 also. Other methods that have been mentioned in the past by others of this site is kinesiology tape, vet wrap/cohesive bandage (wasn’t successful for me) and there are arm bands to hold it in place, can find them all on places like amazon. Duct tape will probably work too, comes with a free waxing for hairy arms. :angelic: :D :D