Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
been to doc for kidney protein results
she said it was 52 would that be stage 1 .2.3.4.5
is that a dangerous level
It is a good idea to ask the doctor what a result means at the time if you are not sure.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This site may have some useful information. Hope it helps.

https://www.davita.com/education/kidney-disease/stages

That’s interesting @Guzzler. That seems to imply regardless of anyone’s results they have some degree of kidney disease??

If a reading is >90 then you are stage 1. How do they score no kidney disease? My reading fluctuates every time I’m tested. >90, 85,>90 75. Does that mean I’ve got some degree of kidney disease? Something else to worry about. Doc never mentioned it...

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That’s interesting @Guzzler. That seems to imply regardless of anyone’s results they have some degree of kidney disease??

If a reading is >90 then you are stage 1. How do they score no kidney disease? My reading fluctuates every time I’m tested. >90, 85,>90 75. Does that mean I’ve got some degree of kidney disease? Something else to worry about. Doc never mentioned it...
The fluctuations are a normal part of the body rebuilding/repairing itself. Only when (I think) one has high inflammation which stays in a high range or progresses does it signal problems. Inflammation as signalled by the protein can take some time to right itself but only if the cause of the inflammation is being addressed.

Reactions: Flora123

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just to check, are we talking eGFR here?

Dark Horse

You have Stage 1 chronic kidney disease if your eGFR is normal but OTHER tests (e.g. protein in the urine) show that you have kidney disease.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/kidney-disease/diagnosis/

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
For instance my last eGFR was 45 putting me sort of at the border between 3a and stage 3b

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My contribution is to highlight that if you are on Metformin it is wise to have the reviewed asap.

My eGFR moved from 62 to 75 recently. The main difference in my diet was consuming more Liver, Kidney and duck eggs. Incidentally my meat and fish consumption has gone up.