How do you record insulin/food etc..

Indy1282

As above.

I need to try and note what insulin I take with food so that I have some sort of record to refer back to.

At the moment I carb count ( which is fine ) but I need to have an easy way to save it all.

I have used the MySugr app but dont find theres enough room to write down food, insulin, time taken for spike etc..

I dont really want to go down a spreadsheet road if I can help it.

I do have a notepad but I'm rubbish at updating it!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Indy1282
I am a convert to MySugr.
I don't understand your comments above though?:
1) writing down food - correct, not much space. But I just record the carbs primarily, I don't tend to include more than a couple of words about what I'm actually eating.
2) writing down insulin? There is a specific data field for insulin. Have you played around with the settings? You can set up separate types of insulin eg basal/bolus etc. Usually I'm just entering a number for the number units I've taken. No words required.
3) time take for spike? If you're doing a blood test just log the result - the app notes the time automatically. If you're like me and forget to make an entry on time you can always go back in and adjust the time when you make the entry later.

All in all, it takes me less than 20 seconds to record a blood sugar reading, a carb count, an insulin shot and tag the meal as breakfast/lunch/dinner etc.

I haven't much experience with other apps I'm afraid, but in general I would say they are by far the easiest and most convenient way to keep these records. Maybe try a different one?

Best of luck.
:)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You say you need to try and note! Is there a reason for this, or do you just feel you ought to?

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't write anything down and record very little unless I am doing an experiment.
But, if you are happy using an app and prefer to use your phone than a pen and notepad, have you thought about using the notepad (e.g, KeepNotes on Android) on your phone?
I use KeepNotes a lot (e.g. taking notes in a meeting, preparing questions for an appointment, recording pump settings, tracking BG after eating a specific meal for the first time, ...) and find it great that I can access from my computer as well as my phone.

For analysis of data, I use spreadsheets but I can take the data from the notes when I am ready to do the analysis as spreadsheets on a phone are a bit tedious.
I am not very tech savvy but would I be correct in saying that all those type 1s on Freestyle Libre like me would have this problem taken care of?

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre only measures BG - it does not automatically record what you eat, how much insulin you gave yourself, when you exercised, when you were ill/stressed/in pain/...
If you want to analyse and make sense of the data (basically, turn the Libre data into information you can act upon), you need all this other stuff.
Absolutely true but I find it very easy to enter all the relevant information with every scan and it’s all automatically saved for the DSN to look at and advise any action.

Indy1282

Hi @Indy1282
I am a convert to MySugr.
I don't understand your comments above though?:
1) writing down food - correct, not much space. But I just record the carbs primarily, I don't tend to include more than a couple of words about what I'm actually eating.
2) writing down insulin? There is a specific data field for insulin. Have you played around with the settings? You can set up separate types of insulin eg basal/bolus etc. Usually I'm just entering a number for the number units I've taken. No words required.
3) time take for spike? If you're doing a blood test just log the result - the app notes the time automatically. If you're like me and forget to make an entry on time you can always go back in and adjust the time when you make the entry later.

All in all, it takes me less than 20 seconds to record a blood sugar reading, a carb count, an insulin shot and tag the meal as breakfast/lunch/dinner etc.

I haven't much experience with other apps I'm afraid, but in general I would say they are by far the easiest and most convenient way to keep these records. Maybe try a different one?

Best of luck.
:)

It's good that you get on with MySugr but I dont find it good enough for me.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Have a look at 'Diabetes:M' in the App Store, and see what you think. I've used the basic version for around 30 months now, suits me very well.