HoneyMoon Period

JoeJOns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Can you share your experience with the honeymoon period? I'm not entirely sure if I am going through mine at the moment so it would be great to hear from some of you so I can compare.

Thanks guys.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @JoeJOns

Well I think mine lasted about 8 months, I knew it was over when my ratios needed adjusting but this happened over a few months so it wasn’t a sudden demise of the pancreas. I found that being on insulin and having some insulin production from my pancreas slightly problematic as my requirements varied so coming out of it was easier for my control.

The key sign of being in a honeymoon is simply using small insulin doses and I used a half unit pen to help me through this.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Joel, I think I'm still in mine (2 years in now) but I'm not sure how you would know for definite. I take 10 units of Lantus a day and a unit or 2 if I have a carby meal. This keeps me very steady (although I do have hypo's) and I am careful what I eat and exercise regularly etc. I suspect that it is probably the honeymoon period helping to keep me stable but as Juicy says it can suddenly kick in and send me low. Can you tell us specifically how you think it's affecting you? x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 2 years post diagnosis and still in honeymoon - but I was diagnosed aged 43 and I think older people do hang onto some working beta cells for longer

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will know by insulin needs increasing, and more erratic levels. Mine literally doubled about 3 years in.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first dx,d I used about 30 units a day. After about 3 months I didn't need any insulin and convinced myself it was all big mistake and I wasn't diabetic after all. Then after about 4 months of honeymoon my I needed insulin again which rapidly increased to about 45 units/day. Which, more or less is what a use 20 years later. In hindsight I should of used a little insulin when honeymooning as it may have lasted longer.

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Joel, I think I'm still in mine (2 years in now) but I'm not sure how you would know for definite. I take 10 units of Lantus a day and a unit or 2 if I have a carby meal. This keeps me very steady (although I do have hypo's) and I am careful what I eat and exercise regularly etc. I suspect that it is probably the honeymoon period helping to keep me stable but as Juicy says it can suddenly kick in and send me low. Can you tell us specifically how you think it's affecting you? x

Sounds very similar to my experience. On the same doses more or less, but 15 months post-diagnosis. Eat a low carb diet but from when I have eaten carbs (latest attempt last night) I think my novarapid: carb ratio is around 1 unit to every 30-35 grams carbs.
Best wishes,
Tom