T2/Metformin effects?

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wanted to check whether there are others who have a similar problem. I was diagnosed as diabetic 2 years ago and am on 1000 mg Metformin per day. I can't sleep properly at night since I have to get up many times to pee.

My fasting numbers as well as 2 hours after meals are good between 4 and 7.5.
What could be causing my frequent urination?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
One tip I got ... last drink well before sleep

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your blood sugars are in normal range and you’re not on any drugs that encourage your body to get rid of excess sugar via your wee, then I can only advise you see your Dr, to rule out other causes, for example infection.

Reactions: Shahnaz2357

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I avoid tea and coffee after about 4pm as caffeine can act as a bladder irritant. Also, if you only do a little bit of wee each time you go during the night, frequent weeing can be a kind of learned response. Also a possible hormonal/menopausal effect.

Reactions: ringi

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your blood sugars are in normal range and you’re not on any drugs that encourage your body to get rid of excess sugar via your wee, then I can only advise you see your Dr, to rule out other causes, for example infection.

Thanks for the advice. I shall check with my doctor on my next visit.

Reactions: Rachox

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I avoid tea and coffee after about 4pm as caffeine can act as a bladder irritant. Also, if you only do a little bit of wee each time you go during the night, frequent weeing can be a kind of learned response. Also a possible hormonal/menopausal effect.
Thanks... Yes I do drink tea after dinner but it is well before I go to bed around 4 hours later.

DUCADUCADUC

I wanted to check whether there are others who have a similar problem. I was diagnosed as diabetic 2 years ago and am on 1000 mg Metformin per day. I can't sleep properly at night since I have to get up many times to pee.

Ask for a flexible cystoscopy. I had repeated "UTI's", after the 3rd in 5 weeks my Doc fast tracked me, turns out I have 7 tumours in my bladder...thankfully small but still a helluva shock. Op in about 4 weeks to remove them.
Unpleasant procedure where along with the camera insertion, they remove any shred of dignity you may have had. Best to go in laughing and relax.

Reactions: Daphne917

DUCADUCADUC

Just seen your pic,

The camera journey for yours will be much shorter than for mine (around bends and past the prostate)..

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Ask for a flexible cystoscopy. I had repeated "UTI's", after the 3rd in 5 weeks my Doc fast tracked me, turns out I have 7 tumours in my bladder...thankfully small but still a helluva shock. Op in about 4 weeks to remove them.
Unpleasant procedure where along with the camera insertion, they remove any shred of dignity you may have had. Best to go in laughing and relax.

I wish you all the very best with the upcoming procedure. I also have to agree with your very last comment, it's worth more than an emoticon in this case.
When I had my cystoscopy, I thought I was being attacked with a tomato sauce bottle from McDonalds, it was identical. The effect of having lubricant/anesthetic all over the place (I mean ALL over the place) and the doctor's struggle to hold what he had to hold to place the camera where he had to place the camera had me in fits of laughter and the doctor had to tell me to stop laughing as it was making his job even more difficult.
Thankfully the tumour was benign but the doctor decided to do a prostate exam, as I was there and lying down, and he found something that might have otherwise gone un-noticed for some time. Although that little lump turned out to be malignant, my PSA is low (was 1.1, now 0.8) that there's no treatment, just regular checks.