Hello, My name is "Estragon" and I'm a Diabetic....

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Have you any idea just how difficult it's been for me to acknowledge this, in an almost Public place? And just for this very reason, I'm relieved and grateful that DiabUK exists.

I have much to ask and share of my way or route into Diabs. I'm guessing you've all heard it ALL before, but I will expand later on. Just getting over my stumbling blockage of annoucing this is quite a big step for me.

Best Regards - E

Reactions: KezG

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Baby steps @Estragon - so what type of D do you have and remember you are not alone.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @Estragon We look forward to finding out more about your experience - dive in whenever your ready :)

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the Forum,

You have just taken the first step by introducing yourself.

Give a few more details and lots of people will help with very sound help and advice.

Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you any idea just how difficult it's been for me to acknowledge this, in an almost Public place? And just for this very reason, I'm relieved and grateful that DiabUK exists.

I have much to ask and share of my way or route into Diabs. I'm guessing you've all heard it ALL before, but I will expand later on. Just getting over my stumbling blockage of annoucing this is quite a big step for me.

Best Regards - E
Welcome, @Estragon. You won't find Godot here, but a lot of people who know where you're coming from. Good on you for taking that first step into the open. Do you have questions? is there anything we can help with?

Anyway, welcome, again. This is a good place.
Jo

Reactions: Diakat

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
HbA1c levl - IFCC standardised

23/03/2010 53.00
07/09/2015 60.00
08/08/2016 48.00
25/08/2017 58.00
04/09/2017 58.00
06/06/2018 59.00
11/09/2019 87.00
20/09/2019 89.00

An immediate blood test gave a reading of 18 and those most recent values in RED that greatly focused my GP’s attention. Using Metphormin I’ve now completed one week of 2x500mg breakfast and 1x500mg in the evening meal. Then, and now, a second week of an additional 500mg evening meal Metphormin. But now, the other addition of blood testing throughout the day. I had no idea just what I’d been putting my body through. Since testing I’ve done 50 samples in the last 14 days and gone from 14.7 down once to a wobbly 7.9, then I ate an apple and after registered a 9.1. Yes I realise I need to achieve 5ish. I’ve got a graph which does indicate a gentle downward slope, which is a good thing. I realise it’s going to be that next HbA1c that’ll indicate what way I’m going.

What have I learnt from all this so far? I need more experiential support, hello , hence being here, and that I must be more gentle with my body’s abilities to deal with myself and my 68 year old mindset!

In actuality, I need to be more physical and, using my evidenced based results, eat what is doing me good.

Thanks for listening to me and taking interest,

E

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took me many weeks to join this forum, my first and only social media site, so well done on joining.
From your figures you are doing well. As you have been diabetic for a few years it will take you a while to get used to the lower blood sugar levels. Keep at it and you will succeed.

Reactions: Prem51

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
From your figures you are doing well. As you have been diabetic for a few years it will take you a while to get used to the lower blood sugar levels. Keep at it and you will succeed.
Hi Rustytypin! Thanks for being positive. Can you indicate just what is the body’s mechanism that takes lowered, routine self blood testing and using, for me Metphormin, to take down that Hba1c value? It might be obvious, but just how does this happen? It’s going to be my next first question to my GP.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not on any medication so I can't comment on their effects.
Have a look at the main site here and there is much good information that will explain things better than I.
Also have a look at Dietdoctor.com and bloodsugar101.com both are good respected sites.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c levl - IFCC standardised

23/03/2010 53.00
07/09/2015 60.00
08/08/2016 48.00
25/08/2017 58.00
04/09/2017 58.00
06/06/2018 59.00
11/09/2019 87.00
20/09/2019 89.00

An immediate blood test gave a reading of 18 and those most recent values in RED that greatly focused my GP’s attention. Using Metphormin I’ve now completed one week of 2x500mg breakfast and 1x500mg in the evening meal. Then, and now, a second week of an additional 500mg evening meal Metphormin. But now, the other addition of blood testing throughout the day. I had no idea just what I’d been putting my body through. Since testing I’ve done 50 samples in the last 14 days and gone from 14.7 down once to a wobbly 7.9, then I ate an apple and after registered a 9.1. Yes I realise I need to achieve 5ish. I’ve got a graph which does indicate a gentle downward slope, which is a good thing. I realise it’s going to be that next HbA1c that’ll indicate what way I’m going.

What have I learnt from all this so far? I need more experiential support, hello , hence being here, and that I must be more gentle with my body’s abilities to deal with myself and my 68 year old mindset!

In actuality, I need to be more physical and, using my evidenced based results, eat what is doing me good.

Thanks for listening to me and taking interest,

E
You've been diabetic for a while then... Prediabetes is between 42 and 48, anything above that is diabetic. Not sure why your doc got confused over those numbers, what i'm confused about is why nothing was done sooner...! T2 is, unless treated properly, a progressive condition, and if nothing was done in the meantime... This was kind of waiting to happen. Thing is, carbs turn to glucose. All of them, not just sugar, but potatoes, pasta, rice and the like too. Your body pumps out loads and loads of insulin to deal with that, but... When that happens, some people become insensitive to that insulin. That's a genetic predisposition, and medication like statins, steroids and antidepressants can speed up the process as well, or even cause diabetes. Not something you can actually blame yourself for, right? So anyway, there's loads of insulin floating around, it just isn't helping you burn off the carbs anymore. So that glucose? That gets stored in fat cells, and when the stores are full, they overflow: glucose turns up in your blood, organs, urine, tears, saliva... Then you're classed diabetic, basically. The bit where you blamed yourself earlier: if you'd done the conventional thing, you would've cut back on fats. That's the advice I got too, that's what I religiously did, and that's what got me from obese to morbidly obese and diabetic. It's the carbs we can't handle, and you can't do much about that if you don't know that... And considering a lot of doctors and dieticians haven't gotten with the program yet, if they don't know, how could you? (The NHS has, now, finally gotten in on it.). Like I said, blood glucose comes from what we eat. Exception being what our liver produces in the morning, "helping" us get started, which is called Dawn Phenomenon, and what it puts out when we're stressed, or ill. Metformin practically only tackles what your liver puts out, cutting down the liver dump by about 75%. Though it is an appetite suppressant, it doesn't actually do anything about the carbs/sugar you ingest. That's where you come in. If you change your diet -forget expensive fad diets, don't sign up for 100 pound a month courses!!!- you can get your numbers back down. Probably back into the non-diabetic range. I've seen people come in here with a lot higher than what you're starting from, and they got their bloodsugars under control in no time at all. I was diagnosed little over 3 years ago, and have been in the normal range for 3 years. Once I knew what the problem was (the carbs, oh the carbs!), I could actually tackle it. And did. Diabetes is the only ailment on my long list where I've actually got a say in how it plays out. No progression of the condition here. Which could be the same for you too.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <-- have a read, it's a little quick-start-guide I wrote a while ago. But all in all... There's hope for you yet. ;)

Reactions: andromache

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Estragon,
I joined this site in August 2017 and have only just posted my first post today! Just wanted to say really well done on taking that first step. xx

Reactions: catinahat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don’t feel guilty. I know the press like to blame us but the little matter of facts don’t seem to matter. They tell us to eat carbs and cut fats. If we are genetically susceptible to diabetes then that’s terrible advice. And by your results you have been diabetic since at least 2010 not 2015 and for you dr to have done nothing til now is unbelievable.

More positively you’ve come to the best place for help and support. Many of us in here have read the scientific studies, done the personal experiments and have real world experience in how to turn this around. You’ve probably been told about “lifestyle “ changes required with no detail of what that means. @JoKalsbeek has explained the mechanics of what’s happening (carbs=sugar=weight gain and diabetes for some unlucky people like us) and given you some links. I’d add take a look at dietdoctor.com for simple clear advice in changing the way you eat to limit carbs. You can dive right in or edge in gradually depending on what approach suits you best. It will likely go against everything you’ve been told for decades, but it works and there’s ever more evidence to prove it as well as us in here. It will look and feel odd not having spuds on the plate but just add more other veg or meat to fill the gap and you’ll get used to it.

I’m curious what happened last year though when the numbers jumped upwards. Did you add or change medications (statins or steroids for example as both can raise numbers), or change the way you eat? Lose a form of exercise? Exercise helps of course but diet is more powerful than exercise and drugs.

It is possible that over a long period of time a pancreas of a type 2 can be “exhausted “ and give up producing enough insulin after years of working double time to cope. The only way to know that for sure is to have insulin levels checked by means of a c-peptide test. (It actually measures another substance that gets produced alongside insulin not insulin itself but it’s the test that’s used). If at any point your dr suggests insulin increasing medication you should really have this test done first. Adding yet more insulin to a system already overdoing it actually makes the problem worse in the long term, masking it short term.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I’m curious what happened last year though when the numbers jumped upwards. Did you add or change medications (statins or steroids for example as both can raise numbers), or change the way you eat? Lose a form of exercise? Exercise helps of course but diet is more powerful than exercise and drugs.
During the rise in my numbers I was recovering from my 2nd Total Hip Replacement [THR]. My excercise regime wasn't as thorough as in 2013 - my first THR. My eating behaviour was mostly for comfort although I had adjusted my portion control. I hadn't cut out Pasta or bread. I attended Diab Clinic and reduce or removed more carbs. I wasn't aware that my Carb intake was affecting the issues as my numbers during that "ghost" period or Phony War with this horror were only on the edge. After all, I was taking medication - wasn't I? But quietly, mouthful by carb-laden mouthful my body was taking a toll. If, and this is a massive "if", I had had the advantages of self testing, which I've had for the past fortnight, I could have alerted myself. And it is this, right there, that a difference could/would have made that crucial difference. I wasn't aware that the Annual Diabteic Test - Feet, Pulse etc and a question about my eyesight which have always been normal, wasn't closley following, contingent or urgently critical on any rise in the Hb number/s. It was only this last Annual check that the sirens went off.

It is possible that over a long period of time a pancreas of a type 2 can be “exhausted “ and give up producing enough insulin after years of working double time to cope.

This sounds pretty bleak for me . . . .

What am I doing now?

Collecting Intelligence:
Over these past 14 days I've executed 55 blood tests and for the first time in this Battle, I can clearly see just how my body is coping or not coping with this disease of mine.

Severe Diet: I've adjusted-back all my carb intake to none of the recognisable carbs: no spuds, no rice, no pasta. Cut out juicy fruits - dang! - and so far eat only apples. I've found COSTCO do a Vegan set of Falaffels and Koftas. As nibbles I'm eating mixed nuts and those apple segments. Oh yes, and no alcohol for a fortnight.

Excercise: This has not been a very high priority for me. It is creeping back now.

Today's results have been:
Pre breakfast: 9.8
Post Breakfast1: 12.8
Post Breakfast2: 9.3
Post Breakfast3: 8.1

The CONTROL number for my JAZZ is 7.7

What I want to achieve is, of course, a lowering of my HbA1c. How long I need to keep up this rigorous regime will have to continue till I get my figures into control limits. I'm here for the duration.

Tonight we are eating lamb chops and roasted mixed vegtables: Courgette, aub, peppers, onions and garlic all tossed in Olive Oil and seaoned with fresh thyme and rosemary from our garden.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. You all mean so much to me, now that I've "met" you!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the pain and inflammation around such a surgery won’t have helped whilst they were occurring. Sadly not enough clinics make patients aware of the direct and immediate effects of carbs and as you rightly say testing is key and they don’t often support that either. And the possibility of “exhaustion “is just that, a possibility not a foregone conclusion if you take action. And even if production does diminish, demanding less of the pancreas can counter act that loss.

Moving forward testing is great, before and after meals to give ou a databank of info personal to you. Dietwise check those fruits carefully. Apples aren’t great for some of us. Most of us stick to a small amount of berries (more fibre less glucose and fructose), same with falafels - chickpeas and other legumes can be problematic and read the ingredients on the koftas. Might be some hidden carbs in there. Nuts are good on the whole Brazil’s, macadamia and almonds particularly peanuts and cashews less so.

How long it takes? Well very personal again and to some extent it’ll be life long or else the numbers just jump back up but to some extent as we stop stressing our bodies the better they cope with what we allow them. And tastes really do change. In 6 months what you crave and enjoy might well be totally different.

Dinner sounds lovely. Save me a plate!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Regular testing is a great way to find out the effect of different food on your body. I think it is sad that doctors don't recommend it to everyone as soon as they reach prediabetic levels to stop the progression.

Anyway congratulations on taking the bull by the horns. I echo other people's advice that it is all carbs that are the problem and that includes apple and legumes. You need to read the labels so you can find out what your body's tolerance is. I have gone very low carb in an effort to bring my levels down as quickly as possible. Other people gradually reduce the carbs until they get to a level that their body can cope with. Any way is fine as long as you get to low enough carbs that you get the blood sugar levels we all aim for.

I also understand the feeling of shame and have told very few people. I hope eventually that will change but I tell myself I need to do what I can cope with now.

Welcome and look forward to hearing more as your levels keep dropping.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Regular testing is a great way to find out the effect of different food on your body.

VashtiB how about this then:

View attachment 36023

Already I can see a very gradual downward “slope”. I know I’m a work in progress, however moving from 18 I had had in my GP surgery, just over a fortnight ago, and to now down to 10 this early morning is encouraging me, along with my support I’m getting here. But there again, I don’t know just what my GP was expecting of me. It’s this early days confusion that surrounds what is an extremely technical complex process of the endocrine system. I’m starting to get a sense of just how frustrating all of this is not just for me but also for my GP. Funnily enough I’m starting to realise what I need to do/ask also to assist my GP into being confident about taking the Bull by the Horns. I also need to take care of my career - yes?

Anyway, back to the Rugby World Cup. Oz v Uruguay. And THEN England v Argentina..... Oh yeah, Kippers and poached eggs for breakfast!

And again, VashtiB, thanks for your insights and positive regard you’ve shown me.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eh? I have no idea what I need to do to get my Sloppy Graph to upload here. It’s an Apple JPEG so, it really should be straightforward.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eh? I have no idea what I need to do to get my Sloppy Graph to upload here. It’s an Apple JPEG so, it really should be straightforward.
Try the upload a file button next to the post reply button if you haven’t already. There are issues with large files but it usually works for me

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks HSSS. Trying again.

Attachments

• 39801231-8D20-4385-8CEF-8330532D6328.jpeg
    39801231-8D20-4385-8CEF-8330532D6328.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 431