First holiday abroad

Soph94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!
I go away in around a weeks time, and it’s the first time since being diagnosed 8 months ago! It’s a 4 hour flight I’m starting to get a little nervous.. I’ve never been a great flyer anyway! But Just wondered what everyone’s pointers are when it comes to injecting on the plane or keeping insulin cool and out of the sun? Also getting through customs I have a letter from the hosp and my prescription signed, is there anything else I need?
Thanks xx

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
Have you purchased any frio bags? they are used to keep insulin cool. When you get back your destination - MAKE SURE THE FRIDGE IS COOL ENOUGH BUT NOT FREEZING TEMPERATURE. When insulin is frozen, it is deemed unusable.
-Make sure you have double amount of supplies
- Put all your medication in your carry on bag and not your luggage, incase your luggage goes missing or insulin is damaged.
- Frio bags will again keep your insulin cool if you're out in the sun
- Injecting insulin is no problem, you do you.
- Again when you get to your destination, make sure the fridge is okay.
- Carry extra hypo treatments
- Make sure your insurance covers everything
- If you're going with a parent or family or friend, you can split your medication between them and they can carry some for you. Like for example one friend carries some of your supplies and a few hypo treats.
Enjoy your holiday!

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Might be worth getting a Medangel, to keep checking the insulin temperature. You could also consider an iPort device so you inject in one spot.
Have a wonderful time.

Soph94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No ive seen the FRIO bags but was unsure because they have to be activated in water, okay thankyou yes good idea I will defiantly do that take double and I’ll need a lot of hypo treatments just Incase! Thankyou!
And oooo thanks I’ll have a look at the medangel, never heard of an iport device though!
Thankyou!

Triscornia

Hi there,
Oh how exciting to be going on holiday.
Jus to note that we noticed when our son flies ( also type1) he goes low so have some sugar nearby Incase.
Customs are so used to the medication it’s normally not a problem but have your documentation just Incase and keep a prescription in you bag under your seat Incase someone takes your overhead bag by mistake ( happend to me).
Have a super time.

Reactions: Soph94

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
keep your hypo treatment at your seat when on the plane.

I second this. I also make sure I have my blood testing kit and insulin to hand, though the latter two are less critical if the trip is only 4 hours. I can confirm from bitter experience that it's all too easy to go hypo at the airport, and customs controls are manageable but no fun while slightly confused and hypo :).

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always try to ensure I order diet coke etc in bottles or cans and try not to order from the dispenser in pubs etc... If they don't do coke out of bottles for mixers for your drinks I always use my blood test kit to check the drinks....

Reactions: ringi

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
No ive seen the FRIO bags but was unsure because they have to be activated in water, okay thankyou yes good idea I will defiantly do that take double and I’ll need a lot of hypo treatments just Incase! Thankyou!
And oooo thanks I’ll have a look at the medangel, never heard of an iport device though!
Thankyou!

If you’re worried about how to immerse the Frio in water while you’re away then you could pack a light plastic container like the ones you get at a takeaway and use that. I’ve found Frio an invaluable travelling companion. The other good travel companion is an insulated lunch bag - everything T1 goes in it when on the plane. Check whether the airline you’re using allows an extra cabin bag for medical supplies too and how you go about being passed ok to have one.
Remember to keep the bag or whatever you keep your injecting kit in out of the sun, things can heat up pretty quickly. Also, having two Frios, one for spare insulin and one for daily needs helps. If you can swop them around then you can hope that one of them stays cool.
I put the gel bag in the fridge for a while to cool it down - without any pens, daily insulin etc in it. I also carry spare needles with me when I’m out and about.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve never had any problems taking charged frios through airport security. Where did you find they were treated with suspicion @helensaramay? It’d be useful for us all to know, especially if @Soph94 is going to be arriving in a hot place and having to negotiate glorious sunshine on her way to her accommodation.
The over-officious security personnel are a species I dread.

Soph94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou everyone I’ve ordered the Frio bag so I’m going to give it a try! Also going to take my sandwich lunch box which is a cooler as well just for me to take everything in the airline said it’s fine so i feel a lot better! I’ll let you all know how I get on!
Thankyou everyone your honestly the biggest help! xxx

CC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going next week for 4 days but it's only 2 half hour flight am planning on taking pre filled pens with 2 extras. As I will have already opened 2 of the pens will I need a frio bag for the unopened spares?

CC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@CC1 all insulin out of the fridge in warm countries needs to be kept cool. If you are using Frio, you need to put your spare/backup pens in Frio.
Ah right I've got a fridge when I arrive but it's the travel and taking the spare unopened ones I was wondering about