LCIF low carb intermittent fasting

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI all

This diet is taking off in the Philippines where a huge % of people are T2 due to genetics, sugary foods and snacks, and white rice with all five daily meals. People are reporting rapid weight loss e.g. 20% in 2 months, by going keto and 16:8.

Anyone had similar results?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
HI all

This diet is taking off in the Philippines where a huge % of people are T2 due to genetics, sugary foods and snacks, and white rice with all five daily meals. People are reporting rapid weight loss e.g. 20% in 2 months, by going keto and 16:8.

Hi RichardHawkings,
There are many people reporting hue weight loss on variations of Low Carb, including LCHF , Carnivore Low Carb Vegetarian and LCIF. But this doesn't suit everybody.

I don't think you can consider my results as that similar, since I am TOFI and so didn't have that much weight to lose, however with a LCHF lifestyle (no conscious calorie reduction) and occasional IF (usually 1 or 2 times per week) I lost 11% of my body weight and reduced my Hba1c from 'diabetic' to 'pre-diabetic' in 4 months.

Reactions: Our_lady_

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI all

I’m down 120 pounds with IF and ultra low carb so for me it worked a treat.

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys for the info. I'm reading a lot of good stuff but some cautions regarding longterm safety, but still looking very encouraging!

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Richard
I was diagnosed in August 2017. I started with Michael Mosley's 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet, that is 800 calories per day, but from info on here and watching Jason Fung on Youtube I also went low carb (20g per day) with 16:8 IF.
My hba1c went from 106 to 35 in 4 months, I lost about 20lbs in the initial 8 weeks. I went on to lose 5 stone. Over the last 26 months my HBA1c results have stayed in the normal range, and so many other health markers have improved - cholesterol, BP, fatty liver etc and I feel fantastic. I don't know about long-term safety - I'm a bit of a data geek so I'll be continuing to monitor things anyway - but so far for me it's worked brilliantly.

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Richard
I was diagnosed in August 2017. I started with Michael Mosley's 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet, that is 800 calories per day, but from info on here and watching Jason Fung on Youtube I also went low carb (20g per day) with 16:8 IF.
My hba1c went from 106 to 35 in 4 months, I lost about 20lbs in the initial 8 weeks. I went on to lose 5 stone. Over the last 26 months my HBA1c results have stayed in the normal range, and so many other health markers have improved - cholesterol, BP, fatty liver etc and I feel fantastic. I don't know about long-term safety - I'm a bit of a data geek so I'll be continuing to monitor things anyway - but so far for me it's worked brilliantly.

Awesome! I was motivated by Michael with his TV special on fasting, I tried 5:2 (this is before I was diagnosed, I was just obese) but I struggled. Only later I learned that the 2 days didn't have to be consecutive!

I too am a data geek, Myfitnessspal has really helped realise how much calories in the simplest morsel, along with t'internet and Desmond

Reactions: Lincka01

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed in 2013, been on a very low carb diet and intermittent fasting since.
Good weight loss, brilliant control of my blood sugar levels. And my health is really good.
I have no worries about long term dietary control, it's all about finding the right balance.

If it works, then it's all good!
If not, there is an alternative using the really great advice on this forum!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another data geek and success story for low carb.
Total weight loss of 40kg (91 pounds), and a normalised HbA1c within four months of diagnosis, maintained for two years and counting :)

Edited to add a comma to make it clear I didn’t lose all my weight in four months!

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is very encouraging. I'm slowly losing weight and being a bit more sensible with diet. Weight dropped by nearly 10% this year, I'm still BMI over 30, but today learned HbA1c is down to 35. My main change is cycling almost every day and switching from cider to vodka, and cutting out rice, bread and spuds. Once the branflakes are finished I'm going for it!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... Myfitnessspal has really helped realise how much calories in the simplest morsel, along with t'internet and Desmond

Myfitnesspal has been the big changer for me - I love it (though it also drives me crazy with all the listing of foods in 'cups'). It was what really got me to engage with the facts about carb content. I use the free version but have moments of thinking I might even pay up so I can tweak it!

Montu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started to do LCHF not quite keto but around 100g carbs. I am at about 2-3 months in. Started around 350 and am down to 300lbs. Goal was for 20% in 3 months which would put me around 280lbs. Got about one more month to go for my goal.

I do alternating 24 hour OMAD meals about 4 days a week. I try to skip breakfast and just have some heavy cream and coffee until lunch time so other days might be 16:8. I will break that if I am hungry though.

Also walking a good 1 hour a day as I read about forums. I find the walking helps me to clear my head some and soak in some sun.

I think it is going to take a little while longer before my lipids get in line though. HDL rising and Trig starting to trend down. Have some more bloodwork in June so hopefully good.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF since diagnosis at end of November 2013; lost about 20kg very quickly in early 2014 without really trying - and have kept it off. Could lose more but being an old lady I like a a bit of fatty insulation to help keep me warm in winter...

I also brought my HbA1c down to pre-diabetic levels within a couple of months and it's remained down at low pre-diabetic levels since then.

I've fasted on and off most of my life, being in general a no-breakfast person. but I'll also occasionally do some umplanned "erratic" fasting - i.e. not eating if I'm not hungry, but it's essentially been just LCHF eating which has done all the good work for me.