What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning, a straight 6.0 to greet me. Had my plans scuppered for the weekend so I will be seeking new entertainment.I only just found out about Prime Reading, I have Kindle and I have Prime, mostly to save on delivery, but never knew about the Reading section. Added to my Lbby app which lets me download from libraries so I now have even more books to read :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. I have managed more sleep, 7 hours quite unbelievable for me but 6.2 BG on waking today. I don't like starting this high ii usually results in a day in the 6s.

Granddaughter day today and we are off to my sons remote Cottage to paint his dinning room and kitchen. He's promised he will feed us lunch and evening meal. I will have no problems avoiding carbs, because like all of my family he's risen to the challenge of preparing LCHF meals and does it very well.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday November 14th is world diabetes day.

I'm thinking we could do something collectively re putting together a petition. Handing it in to 10 downing street! No idea if I could get this off the ground or how successful it would be but it would certainly raise awareness.

Petition to
1) offer prediabetics and diabetics lchf advice
2) dont offer hclf advice
3) testing kits to be available on prescriptions

@jjraak as you are the man when I comes to IT, have you any ideas?

Anyone else any ideas? @HarryBeau what do you think?

I'm.on a few diabetes forums, then there is Twitter etc we could do this I'm sure of it.

This is regarded as the best way to do petitions to the govt. Once set up you can simply post links across social media and people who vote can repost the links.

https://www.gov.uk/petition-government

Reactions: jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gas.
Why?
It usually is gas in this country, unless you are a bit inaccessible to gas power supply, and then you might have oil fired central heating. But then you have a huge oil tank in your back garden and you have pay a whopping chunk of money in one go to get it filled. I lived in one place like that. And my sewerage was the same. It was too remote, so I had to pay for that myself as well.

I just wondered, because when I was a kid we had gas heat and every winter I used to get bronchitis. Then when I was 11 we switched to electric, and no more bronchitis. So I just wondered about the fuel drying out your eyes the way it did my bronchial tubes.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Much gloomy funeral planning. Seems to be a bit OTT these days. Is this because of the social media thingy? Surely people don't post this stuff?

6.5 BG latest. Will struggle to keep to LCHF down in Wales. The wake is £22/head so don't want to cause offence.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Debandez
I imagine this guy's on his way to a party where he'll put down his bike, hand out the balloons, pick up his banjo, and start playing some music (and I'm not just whistlin' Dixie! ;) ) --

32074-1b6289b3145ed52d79e6f978693fb909.jpg

g61005.gif

Attachments

• man-in-racing-bicycle-and-balloons-air-R9FFA4 (1).jpg
    man-in-racing-bicycle-and-balloons-air-R9FFA4 (1).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 109

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just wondered, because when I was a kid we had gas heat and every winter I used to get bronchitis. Then when I was 11 we switched to electric, and no more bronchitis. So I just wondered about the fuel drying out your eyes the way it did my bronchial tubes.
@SaskiaKC If it was gas central heating the water vapour would have been vented outside via the flue. Maybe you had the thermostat too low!

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez
I imagine this guy's on his way to a party where he'll put down his bike, hand out the balloons, pick up his banjo, and start playing some music (and I'm not just whistlin' Dixie! ;) ) --

g61005.gif

Absolutely loved the music. Thanks so much. To make it even better youtube then played Forever young afterwards - that will be played very loudly on Sunday to our babes. Amazing.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez

g61005.gif

O M G!!! I'm actually cracking up!! Laughing my head off!!! How funny was this to wake up to!!!! Thank you for giving me such a great laugh. But gutted I need to think of a new challenge for you!!! :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ah. That is interesting.

I am stuck with gas central heating. Can’t afford to change or experiment with that.

If I go to a friends houses they have their gas central heating set at 22Centgrade or more. (That is about 71 to 72 Fahrenheit. I last less than 5 minutes in that environment with my dry eyes, they become too painful.

I am okay with my dry eyes with a wood or coal fire, it catches my eyes a bit, but not the intense dryness I get in a centrally heated environment. But the problem with fuel fires, is then I need my asthma inhaler...

But, however, with my electric throws on me keeping me warm, I don’t have a problem with them with my dry eyes. Obviously they are not heating anywhere near as much as the gas central heating, but I am in very close proximity to them.

So, it seems quite likely that gas central heating might be some of the problem.

I do have one portable oil fired radiator powered by electric, and I will use that on a table next to me when we get sub zero temperatures. So that is my back up!

Thanks @SaskiaKC

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC If it was gas central heating the water vapour would have been vented outside via the flue. Maybe you had the thermostat too low!

Probably beween 68 and 72 (which are recommended lows and highs nowadays, or maybe down below 60 at night ... ) 20 to 22C I think. The fuel was natural gas with a furnace in the basement (where most of them are). The heating system was a forced-air one, through duct-work from the furnace to vents in the walls of the rooms. No boiler, no radiators, so presumably no water vapor. I wish we had had radiators as the steam radiant heat was said to be much healthier. But that was mostly in older houses built before central air-conditioning.

Reactions: True Blue

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah. That is interesting.

I am stuck with gas central heating. Can’t afford to change or experiment with that.

If I go to a friends houses they have their gas central heating set at 22Centgrade or more. (That is about 71 to 72 Fahrenheit. I last less than 5 minutes in that environment with my dry eyes, they become too painful.

I am okay with my dry eyes with a wood or coal fire, it catches my eyes a bit, but not the intense dryness I get in a centrally heated environment. But the problem with fuel fires, is then I need my asthma inhaler...

But, however, with my electric throws on me keeping me warm, I don’t have a problem with them with my dry eyes. Obviously they are not heating anywhere near as much as the gas central heating, but I am in very close proximity to them.

So, it seems quite likely that gas central heating might be some of the problem.

I do have one portable oil fired radiator powered by electric, and I will use that on a table next to me when we get sub zero temperatures. So that is my back up!

Thanks @SaskiaKC

I sympathize with the sensitivities to fuel fires. I have never been around coal fires (well, I may have seen one once -- not certain); and while I love wood fires I don't think I could live with one. Kerosene heaters indoors and wood fires outdoors are very hard on my lungs and nose and ears. It's a pity, because I do love a good wood fire, but I've never been around one for more than about an hour at a time. They say "man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward" -- well, I love watching the sparks flying and the flames leaping up; the trouble is my nose can't process what my eyes drink in!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning, a straight 6.0 to greet me. Had my plans scuppered for the weekend so I will be seeking new entertainment.I only just found out about Prime Reading, I have Kindle and I have Prime, mostly to save on delivery, but never knew about the Reading section. Added to my Lbby app which lets me download from libraries so I now have even more books to read :)

Hmmm ... I wonder if I have Prime Reading. I've never heard of it before, but I recently got Prime, so I will go check this out. :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez

g61005.gif

Well @SaskiaKC as I'm probably the only Banjo Playing cyclist (all be it muddy) on the forum, I suppose I had better put this to the test. Now where did I put those balloons?

@ianpspurs love Joan Baez, what a voice.

We have a lot of Bob Dylan songs in our folk band numbers.

Last edited: