Natural is it better

jeni092878

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi,

Is it better to try and control blood sugar with natural supplements? I have heard cinnamon can help does any one have experience with take a cinnamon supplement?:D

Jeni

steveD

I have been taking cinnamon for a couple of months now.My BS has flatlined around 5 mmol/L since I started.Google New Scientist.com,and search cinnamon.Look at the results that Dr Richard A Anderson has published.I have also been forcing Cis-oils,namely linseed and hemp oils down my neck for about the same time as well.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jeni,

I also take a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon with my breakfast cereal. I wasn't sure whether it was doing anything until I went to the States on holiday a couple of months ago and stopped taking it for a week. My sugar levels went up, then came back down when I got home and started taking it again.

If you follow the advice about taking Cis oils, you also need to ensure that you cut out all the harmful hydrogenated (trans-fat) oils from your diet. Not so easy over your side of the pond as all the big fast food outlets use trans-fat oils to prepare their food (MacDonalds, KFC, Dunkin all guilty!).

One thing to be wary of is the various "snake oil" treatments (like diamaxol). They do use all natural ingredients, are very expensive, and don't work - which is why diamaxol has been banned by the FDA. Unfortunately it is still sold because the manufacturer no longer claims it to be a drug so it falls outside FDA's control.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I use powdered cinnamon on my weetabix but I also use cinnamon tabs for after meals where I can't sprinkle the cinnamon.

jeni092878

Type of diabetes
Carer
It is interesting--I just signed up for an offer at Vitabase where they send you two bottles of their Blood Sugar Formula for free. I have not started taking it yet, but does anyone know anything about it?

Jeni

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Jeni,

I just had a look at the product on the Vitabase website and the makers claim that it has "Same ingredients as Diamaxol (Diabeticine) but much less expensive".

As diamaxol has been proven in independent tests to have absolutely NO benefit to diabetics, I am afraid you would be throwing your money away if you'd had to pay for it. But seeing as it is free, then by all means try it, but don't pin your hopes on it!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
For type 2s it helps insulin to metabolise sugar better. In other words it helps reduce insulin resistance.

For type 1s insulin resistance isn't the problem. If sugar levels are too high then you counter this by taking more insulin.

jeni092878

Type of diabetes
Carer
I don't know if it will work (the Vitabase product), but it sure has incredible reviews at NutritionalTree. I will post any results after I take it. Thanks for the advice.

Jeni

how much is the useful dose of cinnamon daily? One teaspoon full, or one spoonfull with each meal? And does anyone know how long it takes to have an effect?
cheers
bruce

I take Cinnamon and have had "good results aswell". I get 180 tabs for £5.99 from Healthy Direct....I take 2 500mg tabs a day.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
There are lots of cinnamon tablets etc on ebay

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There's very little evidence on "natural" diabetes medicines. As long as they are safe in themselves, It's worth a try. Just remember that not all natural products are safe. ( foxglove for heart failure is VERY RISKY)
the safest and best assessed natural diabetes therapy is a low carb diet. If you combine low carb with something like cinnamon or fenugreek, you'll probably succeed and be safe

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
There's very little evidence on "natural" diabetes medicines. As long as they are safe in themselves, It's worth a try. Just remember that not all natural products are safe. ( foxglove for heart failure is VERY RISKY)
the safest and best assessed natural diabetes therapy is a low carb diet. If you combine low carb with something like cinnamon or fenugreek, you'll probably succeed and be safe

I never got any change from cinnamon but I know a couple of folks who did.

I started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid for neuropathy and found it improved my BG. I stopped and started it a couple of times and found it was a real effect - BUT only about 0.5 on my overall numbers and a further 0.5 on postprandials, a mere fraction of the difference I made through dropping carbs.

My current supplier has stopped selling it so I'm trying without again, see if my numbers stay the same or get worse. Again some people report an improvement, one or two have had to reduce their insulin, but others found no change. This may depend on what other meds they are on and also on degree or type of insulin resistance.