Frightened by Libre

Eliz76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just received my libre and I was feeling really positive that this will help me. I waited 6 moths from referral and was quite excited to finally get it last week. However, now that I can see the extent of my ups and downs throughout the day I have to say I’m quite scared. I really had no idea how high my bg levels got between meals. And have seen lows through the day that I haven’t even been aware of. Anyone else get a shock????

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I just received my libre and I was feeling really positive that this will help me. I waited 6 moths from referral and was quite excited to finally get it last week. However, now that I can see the extent of my ups and downs throughout the day I have to say I’m quite scared. I really had no idea how high my bg levels got between meals. And have seen lows through the day that I haven’t even been aware of. Anyone else get a shock????

I wasn't shocked by it, I just found it hugely informative and it enabled me to modify my insulin timing and ratios etc.

Now you have the information, you can work on keeping your line flatter. Treat it as a challenge rather than something to worry about.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I remember when I first wore my Libre, I was surprised that I had Dawn Phenomenon or feet on the floor pretty significantly and I had not a clue. I just knew I woke up sometimes with high numbers and treated and went on. I also remember that sometimes I had high unexplained numbers early afternoon. With the Libre I figured out I was spiking at different times, if it was the morning I was treating it but after I got up I didn't know and hence the high numbers in the afternoon.

I also thought I always woke up with lows, it turned out that I would sleep sometimes for hours before I would wake up. Not completely horrible lows, 3's but that I slept through some of them was a surprise

Like @urbanracer I found it highly informative, not scary at all. I have a Dexcom now and if I didn't have any CGM after being used to it, that is what I would find scary! I find I can change to a different pattern a few weeks later and any CGM gives such a better idea of what is going on.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You absolutely need to double check your readings against a glucometer before you panic. OK, so I'm probably now one of those for whom the libre will never work, but my current sensor (bought after a six month break to see if I'm still allergic)
reads LO whenever my blood sugar is below about 5.5 mmol/L
reads 2 to 3 too low when my blood sugar is between 10 and 12
reads up to 6 too low when my blood sugar is between 5 and 10

OK, that's pretty useless, and Abbott have sent me a free replacement sensor, but it still works a bit (ie I know I'm not hypo if it isn't reading LO :)).

And I was very happy with the libre when it worked for me, which was for about 8 months before I became allergic.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As has been said take it as a challenge and use the information to change your management. That is the beauty of the Libre, real time blood sugar movement rather than a potted history with a finger prick. For me the arrows are the biggest help.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

alaska

Yes, it can be quite a shock at first @Eliz76 , but it's good to look at it from a "hmm, look at how much room for improvement there is".

I know many of us have been quite shocked the first time we did readings between meals (either by Libre, CGM or finger-prick tests). The shock will pass.

Seeing them had me think, surely there must be another way? So, the initial shock has turned to motivation to do things differently to prevent high readings.

They say facing things and accepting it is a really important step in improving. Things'll be fine. Good luck Eliz.

Reactions: Eliz76

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't say your reaction to the data is normal, but your findings certainly are - the vast majority of first time users are surprised at how high or low they go in-between finger prick tests, I quite often remark that the Libre is a real eye opener and it is. Now you can see the full picture you can work on getting what you thought 'good' control to be real and proper good control.

All the best.

Eliz76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the comments and have picked up a few good tips. Frightened was possibly too strong a word but after the first two days I was certainly shocked at the spikes and lows. I was looking forward to getting my libre to get a better understanding of how I react to different foods. It is certainly a real eye opener. Now that I’m over the initial shock I really do believe this is an amazing piece of equipment and am up for the challenge to improve my control.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As has been said take it as a challenge and use the information to change your management. That is the beauty of the Libre, real time blood sugar movement rather than a potted history with a finger prick. For me the arrows are the biggest help.
I am not sure the arrows are that accurate. I only take the ones pointing straight up or straight down seriously. The others tend to change at random within minutes. Despite that I have found Libre to be a wonderful tool.

Alternative Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes...want to find a cure !
At first it was a shock to see a pattern but then a relief to know I could bring it in line more with changing my lifestyle and lowering my carb intake all helped with my Libre as the arrows really guide me ...

moori

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the libre is totally amazing! im currently still paying for it, but its money well used!! :)
good luck to figuring it out

Kazzabling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, ive been using the Libre for a few months, and im not shocked by the results but it can be a bit concerning sometimes how long levels take to drop again after some meals ie it can take more than 3 hours on occassion. It has however given me some very useful but concerning info also which i am grateful for which is that i can have a low sugar for 1.5 to 2 hours whilst i am sleeping and i dont wake up . I will bear in mind what one user has said ie that if you lay on your sensor it can register a low sugar, but i dont put much pressure on mine when i lay down really as it is tucked very slighly towards my under arm to hopefully avoid knocks. Also upon waking . . eventualy lol and i treat the low i get the slighly higher expected result on the libre which implies i was 'actually' low. However next time it happens it will confirm the result with a blood test also. I am fortunate that i seem very tolerant of lows at night i never even wake up a right shaking mess, but i am concerned it is not good for me and brain etc tbh so i will be mentioning it at my next review

SussexDave

Hi, ive been using the Libre for a few months, and im not shocked by the results but it can be a bit concerning sometimes how long levels take to drop again after some meals ie it can take more than 3 hours on occassion. It has however given me some very useful but concerning info also which i am grateful for which is that i can have a low sugar for 1.5 to 2 hours whilst i am sleeping and i dont wake up . I will bear in mind what one user has said ie that if you lay on your sensor it can register a low sugar, but i dont put much pressure on mine when i lay down really as it is tucked very slighly towards my under arm to hopefully avoid knocks. Also upon waking . . eventualy lol and i treat the low i get the slighly higher expected result on the libre which implies i was 'actually' low. However next time it happens it will confirm the result with a blood test also. I am fortunate that i seem very tolerant of lows at night i never even wake up a right shaking mess, but i am concerned it is not good for me and brain etc tbh so i will be mentioning it at my next review

Dear Kazzabling, I have been in exactly the same position as you describe. When I started using the Libre I experienced all the things listed by you and the others above. I experienced low BS readings during the night, sometimes more than once, I didn't wake up and became alarmed. I sometimes also had low readings before dinner (lunch to dinner is usually the longest period I go without food during the day. None of these were picked up by finger pricking as they were transient. Like you I did not think these lows were healthy and now ensure that I don't go too long without food and that my BS is reasonably high before bed. I agree with others that although there may be some differences between Libre and finger prick readings (not surprising as one measures levels in blood the other in interstitial fluid) but the information given by continuous monitoring is much better than relying only on spot checks and is key to maintaining good control.

Marksman4519

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs in any form but especially boiled, paying bills!!!
Couldn't agree more with SussexDave. Check after using the sensor if you see it indicating up or down as its reading will not give you the true level you need. It is an amazing device to let you know the direction of your blood sugar levels. My own levels have improved greatly and it was a bit of a shock to see the pattern during twenty four hours. My daily routine has changed a lot since I have been wearing the sensor. I used to get high readings in the morning but after advice from my GP I now inject 15-20 before my breakfast and I have managed to stay within the blue sometimes all day. I would like to add this always consult your doctor/nurse before doing this and do it gradually. Remember we are all very different.
Finally I would like to add I am currently suffering with Bronchitis and my seensor has indicated very high levels of up to 22.5 and they still remain high after 6 days. Finger pricking also indicates high levels as well, of up to 20.00! This shows a reasonable consistency so for me the Libre system is invaluable as I think I would have needed a blood transfusion by now if I hadn't had it. :woot: Every time I get an infection this happens but it does come down eventually so don't despair its your average that counts over a month. Hypos are the real worry as they seriously bad news. I have had the big D now for 45+ years (currently 74) and believe me those early days were really difficult, which I describe like it was driving a car with a bowl of hot soup in your lap.

Kazzabling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Kazzabling, I have been in exactly the same position as you describe. When I started using the Libre I experienced all the things listed by you and the others above. I experienced low BS readings during the night, sometimes more than once, I didn't wake up and became alarmed. I sometimes also had low readings before dinner (lunch to dinner is usually the longest period I go without food during the day. None of these were picked up by finger pricking as they were transient. Like you I did not think these lows were healthy and now ensure that I don't go too long without food and that my BS is reasonably high before bed. I agree with others that although there may be some differences between Libre and finger prick readings (not surprising as one measures levels in blood the other in interstitial fluid) but the information given by continuous monitoring is much better than relying only on spot checks and is key to maintaining good control.

Kazzabling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Sussex Dave, blimey i am hopeless on here, i am not great with blogging etc as never had fb etc . If my blogs seem clunky its because i am trying to get the hang of it all folks. Does anyone know how i can change my username please as i have had a look on my profile etc and i cant see how to do it. One another thing that has surprised me about Libre results is how very very quickly your levels can drop into the low zone once that arrow is pointing down.

, very handy device just for sharing that info.

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
Hi. I am in my first six months with Libre and don’t know what I did without it. The arrows are really useful as is being able to rest at very frequent intervals when needed. The effect of different foods has been quite a surprise. The information is so useful - I have been able to make changes I could not have risked without it. Don’t worry over it - your diabetes team should be able to help you interpret data. Also Abbot have little training videos on the Libreview website which are excellent. When you are more used to the system they have occasional ‘Webinars’ which are brilliant but might be too much information at once in the early stages. Good luck with your Libre - it can be a really useful tool.

Kazzabling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I am in my first six months with Libre and don’t know what I did without it. The arrows are really useful as is being able to rest at very frequent intervals when needed. The effect of different foods has been quite a surprise. The information is so useful - I have been able to make changes I could not have risked without it. Don’t worry over it - your diabetes team should be able to help you interpret data. Also Abbot have little training videos on the Libreview website which are excellent. When you are more used to the system they have occasional ‘Webinars’ which are brilliant but might be too much information at once in the early stages. Good luck with your Libre - it can be a really useful tool.
Thank you Diane for your informative message, aside from everything else, it spoils us not having to do the regular finger prink tests doesnt it, how hard would it be to go back to doing it the old way, it would be like being in the dark about what is going on with our BG most of the time wouldnt it . All the best to you !

Kazzabling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Couldn't agree more with SussexDave. Check after using the sensor if you see it indicating up or down as its reading will not give you the true level you need. It is an amazing device to let you know the direction of your blood sugar levels. My own levels have improved greatly and it was a bit of a shock to see the pattern during twenty four hours. My daily routine has changed a lot since I have been wearing the sensor. I used to get high readings in the morning but after advice from my GP I now inject 15-20 before my breakfast and I have managed to stay within the blue sometimes all day. I would like to add this always consult your doctor/nurse before doing this and do it gradually. Remember we are all very different.
Finally I would like to add I am currently suffering with Bronchitis and my seensor has indicated very high levels of up to 22.5 and they still remain high after 6 days. Finger pricking also indicates high levels as well, of up to 20.00! This shows a reasonable consistency so for me the Libre system is invaluable as I think I would have needed a blood transfusion by now if I hadn't had it. :woot: Every time I get an infection this happens but it does come down eventually so don't despair its your average that counts over a month. Hypos are the real worry as they seriously bad news. I have had the big D now for 45+ years (currently 74) and believe me those early days were really difficult, which I describe like it was driving a car with a bowl of hot soup in your lap.
I hope you pick up soon from your Bronchitis very soon as with us Diabetics as you know firsthand it is stressful how illnesses often upset our levels also.