Fructose makes the liver accumulate fat, researchers state

DCUK NewsBot

Too much fructose in the diet prevents the liver from breaking down fat stored within the organ, American researchers state. The study by the Joslin Diabetes Center suggests this only relates to fructose, with the findings concluding that high levels of glucose lead to an improvement in the fat-burning function of the liver. Researchers say this could explain why diets with high levels of fructose lead to more negative health outcomes compared to glucose, despite both types of sugar having the same calorie content. Lead researcher Dr Ronald Kahn, who is Joslin's Chief Academic Officer, said: "This is one of a series of studies that we've been doing concerning what role high fructose in the diet plays in terms of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. Fructose makes the liver accumulate fat." It is useful to note that sugar (sucrose) is half glucose and half fructose. This means that a diet high in sugar is a diet that will be high in fructose, and therefore likely to be troublesome for the liver and metabolism. Dr Kahn, who is also an Iacocca Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, added: "The most important takeaway of this study is that high fructose in the diet is bad. It's not bad because it's more calories, but because it has effects on liver metabolism to make it worse at burning fat." The researchers looked at a series of animal studies and examined the impact on metabolism from six different diets, covering combinations of high glucose, fat and fructose. They examined the level of fatty liver from each diet. Dr Kahn added: "Surprisingly, when you switch the sugar in the diet from fructose to glucose, even though they're both equally caloric, the glucose doesn't have that effect. In fact, if anything, overall metabolism is somewhat better than if they just were on a plain high fat diet. In this paper we wanted to figure out at a mechanistic level how this could be possible." When fat is burned by the liver, acylcarnitines are created, with high levels considered unhealthy. According to the results, the level of acylcarnitines was highest in high fat plus high fructose diet. Also, they were lower in the high fat and glucose diet compared to the plain high fat diet. The scientists also looked at the activity of an enzyme called CPT1a, which is critical to the fat-burning process, with the higher the level of the enzyme the better. This illustrates that the fat-burning mitochondria are performing their functions correctly. The results revealed that the levels of CPT1a were low and their activity extremely low in the high fat plus fructose diet, indicating that mitochondria was not working efficiently. Dr. Kahn concluded: "When mitochondria are healthy, they have this nice ovoid shape and crosshatching. In the high fat plus fructose group, these mitochondria are fragmented and they're not able to burn fat as well as the healthy mitochondria. But looking at the high fat diet plus glucose group, those mitochondria become more normal looking because they are burning fat normally." The research was published in the journal Cell Metabolism.

Continue reading...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
d'ya know, I could have sworn I read the same thing... quite some time ago now. :banghead:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t type what I want to here but maybe NSS gives a clue.. this has been known for quite a while..

Dark Horse

This is research in animals so caution is needed about applying the results to humans. It's interesting that 'high fat + glucose' appears to be better than 'high fat alone'.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! What do you reckon these guys will research next? Maybe whether a round wheel is more efficient than a square one?

Edit... I read about fructose being a problem over 10 years ago in a book about metabolic syndrome. I hadn't been diagnosed T2 then. I do feel 'research" needs to be ahead of the game not years behind it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophat1900
M

Member496333

Does anyone else get the sneaky feeling that a lot of these 'discoveries' are being published recently because the truth about dietary misinformation is slowly bubbling to the surface and "they" want to pretend that "scientists" are only now making these revelations (new study says)? It certainly seems to coincide nicely with a slow shift away from dietary hogwash in favour of "saving the planet" etc.

Also, unless I missed it, I don't see a mention that fructose creates liver fat?

Reactions: belfastbiker

Dark Horse

Some people seem to have interpreted this research as just repeating what is already known. However, if you look behind the headlines, the researchers were actually trying to elucidate a mechanism by which the effect occurs. It takes a lot of research to research to convert a hypothesis (educated guess) to a theory (well-supported fact).

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Wow! What do you reckon these guys will research next? Maybe whether a round wheel is more efficient than a square one?

Edit... I read about fructose being a problem over 10 years ago in a book about metabolic syndrome. I hadn't been diagnosed T2 then. I do feel 'research" needs to be ahead of the game not years behind it.

Probably safer also, very difficult I would imagine landing aircraft fitted with square wheels which probably is why we are still using round ones until a viable alternative to the wheel is developed. :D

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The study also found that even though sucrose and fructose were the same calories, fructose was worse for the metabolism. So they have found that CICO isn't everything! Isn't it wonderful when science catches up with we mere plebs?:hilarious:

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Some people seem to have interpreted this research as just repeating what is already known. However, if you look behind the headlines, the researchers were actually trying to elucidate a mechanism by which the effect occurs. It takes a lot of research to research to convert a hypothesis (educated guess) to a theory (well-supported fact).

That's not at all my interpretation from the article. To me it reads very much like a discovery has just been made.

"The most important takeaway of this study is that high fructose in the diet is bad. It's not bad because it's more calories, but because it has effects on liver metabolism to make it worse at burning fat."

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That's not at all my interpretation from the article. To me it reads very much like a discovery has just been made.

"The most important takeaway of this study is that high fructose in the diet is bad. It's not bad because it's more calories, but because it has effects on liver metabolism to make it worse at burning fat."

What is high fructose? How much is considered high?

Dark Horse

Agreed, that the researcher quoted was using the opportunity to send a message that 'high fructose in the diet is bad'. It's unfortunately common that the 'soundbites' used to make the research appealing to the media give a false impression of the emphasis of the research undertaken. You may not have full access, but the summary of the original research article gives a better indication:- https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(19)30504-2#

Reactions: Methepon

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

I get the feeling these releases are for out of date medics. Planting the seeds needed for true knowledge to be understood. Their way.