Work

RoseShiel

I'm trying to find the right balance for me to be able to work full time but to say I'm struggling is a understatement.
I got diagnosed at xmas so still new to this type 1 stuff. But I'm getting there. However it seems any job I do just wipes the **** out of me. I do over 30 hours a week over 5 days and it seems when it comes to week 3-4 i just crash and I'm exhausted, I'm fighting heart disease aswell as type 1. I started the job I'm at in june and i had 2 bad hypos there, 2 weeks off cause of extreme high blood sugars and I've had infection after infection, this job is so faced paced and is 9 hour shifts at a time, I think there getting fed up with how sick I am and how much time I've had off cause of this. So now I feel like I'm just over reacting about this. But come on type 1s let's be honest I'm not over reacting here. I am struggling so much and I just dont no what to do. I need to work full time so me and my partner can live, eat and so on, although hes full time too. I've truly had enough, what do I do?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @RoseShiel Coping with a new diagnosis and managing a new job is alot to deal with, it sounds like you're being put under a great amount of pressure here. You're not over reacting at all, however you need to be able to manage at work so it doesn't impact on your health otherwise you'll be running yourself into the ground, i've been there myself so know exactly how it feels.

Can you talk to HR about this ? As an employer they need to make reasonable adjustments to help you as an employee, as outlined under the Equality Act 2010: https://jdrf.org.uk/information-support/living-with-type-1-diabetes/everyday-life/work/

Do you use a libre to monitor your bg levels ?

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I concur with Juicyj, also with heart disease as well, this alone can cause shortness of breath and physical weakness.
Talk to your GP and or diabetes team to help and advise you.
Take care

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have a heck of a lot to cope with - T1D plus a heart problem. To try to ensure you do not have debilitating hypos I suggest you ask for a Freestyle Libre, if you don't already have one, as it is much easier to test your BG levels. No need to stop and do a finger prick test. I also suggest testing BGs every hour to try to ensure your BGs are not becoming too low. Become aware of the symptoms of a low BG. This varies between individuals and over time.
I've had type 1 for over 60 years and now have a dodgy aortic valve that needs replacing. This means I tire very quickly especially if doing anything requiring physical effort despite the numerous tablets I now have to consume. So maybe it's the heart problem rather than diabetes that is making you feel so exhausted.
I agree that you should talk to HR to see what can be done to reduce your stress levels at work. Companies have a responsibility to consider the health of their employees and to enable them, as far as possible, to safely manage any medical condition they may have.

RoseShiel

I had open heart surgery in 2017 and atm my heart seems alot better, just waiting for a 48 hour monitor to be put on cause my heart keeps missing a beat and they need to work out if it's from the bottom chambers or top to decide if I need a pace maker or a medication alteration. I work 5 days a week, 9 hour shifts, I spoke to my manager yesterday and shes done as I'm working 4 days off 3, although I personally think cutting down the 9 long hours would of been more beneficial but were trying every way to see what's better. I did have a libre but it fell off after showering so awaiting another prescription for them. I got discharged from my community diabetic nurse due to having my sugars under control but last few weeks they been hitting the 30s but no ketones so been referred back to them again. I have a consultant but havent seen him once since diagnosis over xmas as the diabetes nurse in community and gp deal with me. Just at my wits end atm, I feel exhausted and ****** every day and I'm sick of it. Surely your not meant to feel rough every day?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're going to feel rough if your sugars are that high. Are you carb counting?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had open heart surgery in 2017 and atm my heart seems alot better, just waiting for a 48 hour monitor to be put on cause my heart keeps missing a beat and they need to work out if it's from the bottom chambers or top to decide if I need a pace maker or a medication alteration. I work 5 days a week, 9 hour shifts, I spoke to my manager yesterday and shes done as I'm working 4 days off 3, although I personally think cutting down the 9 long hours would of been more beneficial but were trying every way to see what's better. I did have a libre but it fell off after showering so awaiting another prescription for them. I got discharged from my community diabetic nurse due to having my sugars under control but last few weeks they been hitting the 30s but no ketones so been referred back to them again. I have a consultant but havent seen him once since diagnosis over xmas as the diabetes nurse in community and gp deal with me. Just at my wits end atm, I feel exhausted and ****** every day and I'm sick of it. Surely your not meant to feel rough every day?

Hi Rose, what type of work do you do?, sometimes we can help with a few tips dependent on the type of job. x