Have any other low carbers quit dairy and noticed a big difference?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Just listening to this podcast and wonder how many others have had a similar experience when moving from low carb high fat diets that include dairy products to low carb high fat diets that eliminate all dairy.

It seems to work well for this man (weightloss and reducing inflammation). Did it work for you?

I am yet to try a week without dairy to see what happens. I do notice that if I eat a lot of cheese, my morning fasting levels are higher.

https://lihfliving.com/why-lchf-works/

Reactions: ickihun

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
LOL....I'm almost finished listening to this.

It is interesting, I've considered going dairy free, but never actually done it. Interested to see what people may say. I do eat a lot of cheeses, whey, yoghurt, but I don't have sore joint issues at all. That all disappeared when I went low carb some years ago. I spring out of bed in the morning. no aches or pains. So not sure going dairy free would work for me... but interested to see what others have noticed.

Reactions: Cocosilk

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL....I'm almost finished listening to this.

It is interesting, I've considered going dairy free, but never actually done it. Interested to see what people may say. I do eat a lot of cheeses, whey, yoghurt, but I don't have sore joint issues at all. That all disappeared when I went low carb some years ago. I spring out of bed in the morning. no aches or pains. So not sure going dairy free would work for me... but interested to see what others have noticed.
Same is true for me I am 78 eat a lot of dairy ,free of aches and pains .so why give it up.

Reactions: SueJB and Cocosilk

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just listening to this podcast and wonder how many others have had a similar experience when moving from low carb high fat diets that include dairy products to low carb high fat diets that eliminate all dairy.

It seems to work well for this man (weightloss and reducing inflammation). Did it work for you?

I am yet to try a week without dairy to see what happens. I do notice that if I eat a lot of cheese, my morning fasting levels are higher.

https://lihfliving.com/why-lchf-works/
Since going low carb I have upped my dairy intake hugely.

I have lost weight so less stress on the joints.

Reactions: DumfriesDik

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat low carb without dairy because I'm lactose intolerant. So I opt for a lot of vegan dairy stuff and while I can't say much for low carb with dairy, I guess I feel the same - energised, stable blood readings, joints feel the same (I've never had the doctor say I'm low on calcium or anything) and not as hungry. I can't say much for weight loss, it's very minimal.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are calcium deficient and can’t drink milk etc then eating fish bones will do the trick e.g. tinned fish with bones in or cooking the fish with bones in very well.

D

Deleted member 308541

I get a fair portion of my "high fats" from dairy. So I would not want to try go dairy free, as my weight is stable and hba1c is excellent so it's not for me.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yes. If I want to get defined 6 pack, both dairy and nuts have to go. I could never do what low calorie persons do and just have a minor amount.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I eat low carb without dairy because I'm lactose intolerant. So I opt for a lot of vegan dairy stuff and while I can't say much for low carb with dairy, I guess I feel the same - energised, stable blood readings, joints feel the same (I've never had the doctor say I'm low on calcium or anything) and not as hungry. I can't say much for weight loss, it's very minimal.
As am I! I feel awful and have a terrible reaction to dairy, especially butter, cheese and most yoghurt.
I believe I get my calcium from salad vegetables and fish.
But, since my intolerance to a lot more than dairy has been a long journey, my body has adjusted well to the foods that I am intolerant to.
Dairy is an important part of dietary management for going low carb and Keto.
As always, it is your own personal experience and what works for you!

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. If I want to get defined 6 pack, both dairy and nuts have to go. I could never do what low calorie persons do and just have a minor amount.

I have this feeling about dairy and nuts too. It's hard to stop at a reasonable amount and I really feel like they both make me put on weight again. I thought I would try a dairy free day when I woke up this morning. I ate 3 eggs, 1/2 an avocado and some pine nuts and then craved milk like a drug (I drink goat's milk more than cow's milk now). I ended up giving in to my craving and just drank milk after my meals again as usual. Managed not to eat so much cheese though but ended up having the most meat I've had in a while - liver, lamb and pork with baked mushrooms stuffed with ricotta, red capsicum and sauerkraut . And then more milk! ha ha

I also just realised they are promoting Metformin in this video too. Seems to be lots of subtle promotions of Metformin around these days. They want non-diabetic people to take it too, like a new elixir of renewed health...

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I also just realised they are promoting Metformin in this video too. Seems to be lots of subtle promotions of Metformin around these days. They want non-diabetic people to take it too, like a new elixir of renewed health...
Hi Cocosilk,
Thanks for posting that video. I disagree with your view that the people on the Podcast are in any way 'promoting Metformin'. Though what they do say is that it is probably the safest medication for a Type 2 diabetic (though they don't compare it to Insulin). And that there is some research which suggests that Metformin may have uses in treatments of other Metabolic disease.
Both participants were primarily promoting variations on Low Carb diet/lifestyle and to a certain extent 'strength training'.

Note that Ivor pointed out that Metformin is 'out of Patent' - and is incredibly cheap so no drug company can make a fortune out of it! Indeed as he says, we should expect to see Drug companies and their paid proxy's knocking Metformin so as to sell more of the SGLT2 and other drug types.

pzw123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did LC with ocassional Keto for about 6 months after going vegetarian. My egg and dairy intake was quite high, especially cheese. I lost some weight but it was not consistent, probably about 1 stone over that period. However, in July I went fully vegan and gave up dairy and eggs. I still cook with oils (more varied oils now) but have lost a further 17 pounds in that time, but not really low-carbing. My weight has now stabilised again so I am now looking to once more reduce the carb content of my meals. This is going to be an interesting few months. Luckily I enjoy cooking from scratch and following other peoples' recipes.

ShortStuff

I’m vegetarian and I don’t eat eggs.

I was vegan for a few years, but pre diagnosis of T2

I’m VKC/keto and basically not losing any weight

I might try cutting out dairy next week and see if it helps, but <groan> I’ll be ‘good free’ if I cut much more out!

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cocosilk,
Thanks for posting that video. I disagree with your view that the people on the Podcast are in any way 'promoting Metformin'. Though what they do say is that it is probably the safest medication for a Type 2 diabetic (though they don't compare it to Insulin). And that there is some research which suggests that Metformin may have uses in treatments of other Metabolic disease.
Both participants were primarily promoting variations on Low Carb diet/lifestyle and to a certain extent 'strength training'.

Note that Ivor pointed out that Metformin is 'out of Patent' - and is incredibly cheap so no drug company can make a fortune out of it! Indeed as he says, we should expect to see Drug companies and their paid proxy's knocking Metformin so as to sell more of the SGLT2 and other drug types.

This is what I am talking about though https://lifespanbook.com/metformin-pill/

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new-ish to low-carb-life and am vegetarian, because it works as a diet for my hypreuricemia. But low-carb is making me have less diary than I was, with some soya milk instead. My cheese consumption goes up and down - it wasn't not something I missed in a period living in China when I couldn't get it, and I've never gone back to eating it regularly. I was already regularly eating tofu. I'd like to have lower carb levels, but as a veggie, need to work out how.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
This is what I am talking about though https://lifespanbook.com/metformin-pill/

Hi Cocosilk,
I still think that neither of the participants in that podcast were promoting Metformin for non-diabetics, they are both 'plugging' diet to control all metabolic syndrome disease. Ivor just happened to mention the newer research on Metformin in rodents - which may be invalidated. I actually like that he is open minded enough to consider all decent evidence, not just that for non-pharmaceutical solutions to Metabolic Diseases.

This guy in the lifespanbook thing is talking about disease prevention and so far as I'm aware, Metformin doesn't prevent any disease - if it did then surely it would be more popular than Statins!
But he doesn't even stop there, he then takes a wild speculation that age 'causes' Type 2 D , Dementia and other diseases. Which is just not true! Age means that patient has had longer to accumulated the bad stuff that causes the disease - otherwise everybody who dies of 'old age' would have T2D, Dementia, Cancer, CVD and other diseases for at least a few weeks before they die!
He then goes seriously off grid in suggesting that Metformin may lengthen life in an otherwise healthy individual - which is a huge leap from any actual evidence.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm new-ish to low-carb-life and am vegetarian, because it works as a diet for my hypreuricemia. But low-carb is making me have less diary than I was, with some soya milk instead. My cheese consumption goes up and down - it wasn't not something I missed in a period living in China when I couldn't get it, and I've never gone back to eating it regularly. I was already regularly eating tofu. I'd like to have lower carb levels, but as a veggie, need to work out how.

Hi JenniferW,
I don't see why you say that Low Carb is making you have less dairy. Even if you were Vegan I still can't see how you would eat less dairy on Low Carb since vegan's eat no dairy and vegetarians eat as much dairy as the like.

As a Low Carb vegetarian, apart from milk (for those on very low carb), which Dairy do you give up on Low Carb? You can still have cream, full fat Yoghurt, vegetarian cheese, eggs etc.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From a personal point of view, my high fat is almost all dairy because I don't like fatty meat, although I do eat a lot of salmon and eggs. I eat tons of butter, plus cream, cheese, yogurt and so on. I am 71 and also spring out of bed in a morning without aches and pains. At the beginning of my journey in 2014 I lost a shed load of weight (33%) and I have maintained my target weight for almost 5 years, still eating plenty of dairy.

Reactions: JenniferW