Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Injection sign - use dominant hand, thumb and index finger in line, open wide, then place on arm/leg ( looks like a large sideways V)
Blood - dominant hand moves down body from mouth, with other hand laid flat on heart area.

Thank you! I think we'll stick to our unofficial ones - they work for us.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! Crashed before 9.00 p.m. last night most unusually but definitely a much needed extra couple of hours of sleep, though I could've done without the middle of the night correction dose apart from the fact I'd've been a most horrible number this morning otherwise. I'd allowed for a bit more of an active evening, which just didn't happen once I'd sat down!

Also happy to report my heels are liking the extra bit of orthotic insoles in both new and old boots! They are far less achy in the mornings since I started using them, and it's working well if I use them some of the time rather than all the time to give my feet some variety. Given I've always preferred flatter shoes or trainers, this seemed a simpler solution than buying shoes I wasn't going to enjoy wearing.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Morning all woke to a 6.6 but oddly felt hypo on waking which was odd, bg levels are being quite good at the moment (hurrah !)

Happy Friday all, it's been a long week here so a weekend is well overdue, daughter is doing a science sleepover at school, no sweets or screens and she's very excited :)

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Skin Tac wipes before you stick your gadget on - https://amzn.to/2sOdUK3 - I don’t put anything on top unless I’m doing something where I think it might get knocked - like ziplining or being in the front row of a rock gig :D

Thanks @Mel dCP
Good thinking about the rock gig! I'll have to remember that for the next gig I go to :woot:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. 9.something last night 9.something this morning - although unlike juicyj I felt much higher than that - thought and felt I'd messed up last nights bolus but no, although could have done with a correction before bed I guess.

Have a great day all.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all woke to a 6.6 but oddly felt hypo on waking which was odd, bg levels are being quite good at the moment (hurrah !)

Happy Friday all, it's been a long week here so a weekend is well overdue, daughter is doing a science sleepover at school, no sweets or screens and she's very excited :)

100% agree with you @Juicyj ... The weekend is definitely overdue!! :D

I hope your daughter has fun at the science sleepover, sounds interesting!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning all, TGIF :)
Awoke on a 6.4 so, very happy with that:happy: Off to do some food shopping soon and as I am working Sunday I might make a beef casserole in my slow cooker before I go to work:)
Have a great day everyone :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Off to thr Dr again. Antibiotics have been taken for 48 hours now and I still wake up crying from the pain twice a night when one of the painkillers starts to wear off.
And I have my doubts with the diagnosis. No fever, not ill, no redness.
Happy it will be the other GP, I like having new eyes looking at it.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Off to thr Dr again. Antibiotics have been taken for 48 hours now and I still wake up crying from the pain twice a night when one of the painkillers starts to wear off.
And I have my doubts with the diagnosis. No fever, not ill, no redness.
Happy it will be the other GP, I like having new eyes looking at it.

@Antje77 I hope all goes well & you're sorted & fixed up soon :)

Dabootie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, been AWOL for a bit as been on holiday to Florida for a bit over two weeks. Been back at work since the start of the week so bloods been a bit erratic due to unsettled days at work.
Self funded a Libre sensor for the holiday as didn’t know how my bloods would react to the heats and humidity and happy to report got on really well with Libre and it helped me make some informed decisions....just need to get it prescribed now...DSN went through criteria with me at review and wants me to check bloods more frequently so they can argue it’s more cost effective for nhs to give me Libre.

Reactions: Antje77 and Diakat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctor said definitely not erysipelas, and sent me for X-rays and blood tests. Thank you dear neighbour, for dropping everything to pick me up at the GP and drive me to the hospital!
They're looking for a fracture (unlikely), arthrosis (not very likely) and gout (quite possible I think).
Will know more next week.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A quick google search turned up with lots of reasons why gout is likely, and nothing against it.
So, anyone with tips for gout?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Therapy went okay today and it was very satisfying to watch ENT doctor vacuum my bf’s ear infection. My bf unfortunately has had an ear infection for 2 months. ENT said my bf’s ear drum perforated because the pressure was too much and the ear had to find a way to get rid of the liquid and pressure.

Training was also not too bad, I did walk back home and I had a hypo so I stopped at Tescos because I felt safe there. I had glucose gel but it wasn’t in seperate tubes but the best way I can describe it that it looks like a children’s PVA glue bottle. As I was strolling around tescos and I feel kids are never low key about anything, there was a kid that looked at me and shouted “MUM, THERES A LADY EATING GLUE” I was like I just wanted to treat my hypo in peace

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Therapy went okay today and it was very satisfying to watch ENT doctor vacuum my bf’s ear infection. My bf unfortunately has had an ear infection for 2 months. ENT said my bf’s ear drum perforated because the pressure was too much and the ear had to find a way to get rid of the liquid and pressure.

Training was also not too bad, I did walk back home and I had a hypo so I stopped at Tescos because I felt safe there. I had glucose gel but it wasn’t in seperate tubes but the best way I can describe it that it looks like a children’s PVA glue bottle. As I was strolling around tescos and I feel kids are never low key about anything, there was a kid that looked at me and shouted “MUM, THERES A LADY EATING GLUE” I was like I just wanted to treat my hypo in peace

All I know is, I wouldn't want to spend my time in a supermarket treating a hypo surrounded by kids & trolleys...

It would feel like the floor was moving.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 What used to work really well for customers is, 4 2x strength tart cherry pills (or guzzle tart cherry juice or black cherry juice but in our case that can be an issue......people would drink a quart the first day because it hurts so much) and 9 alfalfa pills or alfalfa powder. That was instructions off of one of the companies that markets those products. It equated to 4,000 mg Tart Cherry and 4500 mg alfalfa. It sounds like a lot, but these are more food type things versus vitamins or herbs. I'm not sure how much alfalfa you would actually have to eat lol.

Cherries and strawberries naturally lower uric acid in the body. Solaray also makes a combo pill Solaray Total Cleanse Uric Acid that has Tart Cherry, Bromelain, Celery and Turmeric in it. But not the alfalfa. Probably because you have to take a lot of alfalfa and it doesn't come concentrated. There are a few companies that market blends to lower uric acid. Most all of them should be based on Tart Cherry or Black Cherry.

Reactions: Antje77
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A quick google search turned up with lots of reasons why gout is likely, and nothing against it.
So, anyone with tips for gout?

Here are the steps for getting the pain and swelling of a gout attack under control:
  1. Take an anti-inflammatory medication as soon as possible.
  2. Ice and elevate the joint.
  3. Drink plenty of fluids (no alcohol or sweet sodas)
  4. Call your doctor and make an appointment.
  5. Relax; stress can aggravate gout.
More items...

I found this which maybe helpful and I hope your pain gets better.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got complex regional pain syndrome, CRPS, when I broke my wrist. Could it possibly be that ?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/complex-regional-pain-syndrome/
Possible, but for now I don't see anything making me think it's not gout.
  • Take an anti-inflammatory medication as soon as possible.
  • Ice and elevate the joint.
  • Drink plenty of fluids (no alcohol or sweet sodas)
  • Call your doctor and make an appointment.
  • Relax; stress can aggravate gout.
I am on a high dose of naproxen (1000mg per day) but only started after a few days. Plus 3500-4000mg of paracetamol.
No ice, can't bear it. Elevate and rest, yes my hand lives on a thick pillow on my lap, and I don't dare move unless absolutely necessary.
Plenty of water and tea, but also weak white coffee and some alcohol.

It's not enough. Even the occasional tramadol doesn't make much of a difference. I hate to whinge but this really is no fun.

My diabetes seems to love it! Low flat lines all week and needing less insulin for the same foods. Perhaps enduring pain is such hard work that it counts as a 24 hour work out or such :hilarious:
At least I'm happy I don't have to deal with diabetes behaving ridiculous on top of all else!