All inclusive resorts

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
do you find it hard to resist all the food that is available
I hesitate to book on all inclusive resorts and cruises because I do not have the willpower to resist .
What is your experience ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hesitate to book on all inclusive resorts and cruises because I do not have the willpower to resist .
Personally, I find buffets quite wonderful. Yeah, there's a lot of food I can't have.... But I can have plates and plates of the stuff I can. (Meats, meats, meats and veggies 'n'cheeses.). Usually I attend things like that with my husband, and I can have a bite of whatever dessert he's having. So for me, it's the most convenient thing... I don't have to ask serving staff to do anything special ("no bread" also means no croutons... And honey may be natural, it's still sugar and I just told them I'm diabetic... I'll not say anything and eat it anyway though, or at least make a token dent, if I discover it early on. More often than no there's no problem, but every now and again...!). If I'm in 100% control of what's ending up on my plate, like at an all-you-can-eat... I'm basically tickled pink. The other stuff doesn't exactly tempt me because I will be stuffed with low carb foods. ;)

Reactions: Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife and I like to sample the local food on holiday so we don't stay all inclusive. We have on occasions had a buffet dinner at a hotel and I agree it is ideal for low carbing (on not in my wife's case) with no hassle.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We went on a short cruise in the Med last year, the breakfasts and lunches were buffet style so no problem. The dinners were set menus, but the staff were quite happy to amend my main dish to a low carb serving, but only by cutting out the carby bits! I skipped the deserts (mostly) as they were all carby stuff.
I found I had to exert all my willpower to miss out on the delicious food on offer, and indeed did give in once or twice. It's difficult when everybody else is tucking in, even my fellow Type 2 passengers - of which there were a few!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just returned from a 12 day cruise in the Med and found it relatively easy to eat low carb. Omelette with bacon for breakfast, salad from the buffet at lunch and 3 course meal in the evening where I did indulge in the odd sweet or two!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had breakfast and evening meal at a hotel - I don't eat lunch so no point looking for all inclusive.
Other guests were somewhat shocked by my plate at breakfast as they munched their almost dry toast, but commiserated with me as they ate their carby foods and I had just the best bits of the meal.